Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help Wanted to Create a 1918 Coin Set

This January, my grandpa will turn 94. He was born in 1918, and still has a mind as sharp as a tack. He is an avid stamp collector, and has successfully sparked my interest in the hobby.

For his birthday, I want to get him one of every coin-type minted in 1918 (Disregarding mintmarks). For example: 1- 1918 Wheat Cent, 1- 1918 Buffalo Nickel, 1- 1918 Mercury Dime, 1- 1918 Standing Liberty Quarter, and 1- 1918 Walking Liberty Half Dollar. (No gold pieces)

Does anyone have any idea how much each of these will cost in AU condition or below? I am looking to spend around $50. I was thinking I would put all of them in a capitol holder, a do-it-yourself set.

Could anyone please direct me in the right direction and offer any suggestions they might have? Should I also post his on the BST forum as well?

I appreciate any help!

Happy New Year-

Jim

EDIT: Thanks for all the advice. I went on eBay and got everything at the right price! Thanks again for all the help! Problem solved.
Jimmy L.
Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy,

I would check over on ebay. All of those coins should be available.

He is an avid stamp collector...

Well, nobody is perfect. image
  • Options
    You can get the Cent in UNC for around $10, about $8 for an AU
    The Nickel in AU will be ~$35-40
    The Dime in AU is around $30
    The quarter is $32 in XF, $60 in AU
    The Half (18-S) is $26 in VF, $55 in XF, $150 in AU.

So it really depends how low you want to go.

So for $50 (which I just saw), a VFish set would be best.

Cent, XF, $3.50
    Nickel, VF, $12
    Dime, VF, $8-9
    Quarter, VF, $23 (F is $22, VG is $15)
    Half, F, $15 (or VF for 26)
  • Options
    Would you recommend eBay or BST? I'm afraid I might not get my money's worth on eBay.

Thanks for the help so far!
    Jimmy L.
    Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Put a WTB on the BST and you should get the most for your money.
    AL
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you recommend eBay or BST? I'm afraid I might not get my money's worth on eBay.

Thanks for the help so far! >>

You'll find the coins you need on ebay. Checking BST is a good idea but you probably won't find all you need.

I have a nice, problem-free 1918-S Lincoln VF25. If this fits, PM me your address and I'll mail it. No charge.
    Lance.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you recommend eBay or BST? I'm afraid I might not get my money's worth on eBay. >>

BST is right for you, I think. You'll spend more, but you're be more likely to get what you payed for.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> (No gold pieces) >>

You don't have to feel guilty about not including gold pieces - there weren't any minted in the US in 1918 image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Sorry- I was wrong on that one. Why didn't they mint gold from 19-20?
    Jimmy L.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file