Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Newest Conder Tokens (waiting for me at FUN)!

Some of my latest Conders that I sent to NGC for certification - looking forward to picking them up at FUN!

VERY COOL TERMINAL DIE STATE!
SCARCE: Middlesex (D&H 746) - Obv: A village in ruins, ONE ONLY MASTER GRASPS THE WHOLE DOMAIN 1795 - Rev: An Indian, IF RENTS I ONCE CONSENT TO PAY MY LIBERTY IS PAST AWAY

Middlesex (D&H 1017f) Obv: "“HONOR” trodden under foot, ‘• throne” turned upside down, FRANCE (divided), RELIGION cut in pieces, “GLORY” defaced, “FIRE” in each corner, murder (i.e. daggers) on every side, and bloodshed all over - Rev: MAY | GREAT BRITAIN | EVER REMAIN | THE | REVERSE. Radiated within a wreath of oak.

RARE: Middlesex (D&H 298) Obv: A connoisseur smoking a pipe, at a table spread with medals, an old man behind him putting on his head a fool’s cap - Rev: An ass and a mule saluting

SCARCE - Middlesex (D&H 520) Obv: A man handcuffed and ironed, a padlock on his mouth - Rev: A knife, fork, and plate, chained down to a table, USELES

RARE - Middlesex (D&H 521) Obv: A man handcuffed and ironed, a padlock on his mouth - Rev: A man holding a cutlass in one hand, and broken fetters in the other, leaning upon an anchor
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice group Charmy.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VERY COOL TERMINAL DIE STATE! >>

I'll say. That's about as terminal as you can get! image Very, very neat. That would be an awesome piece even without the serious crackage.

The D&H298 is also fascinating, from design standpoint.

I was admiring those "Free Born Briton" pieces over there on the Liteside "Copper 4 The Weekend" thread. I particularly like the one with the "Useles" (sic) knife, fork, and plate- that might be my favorite in this grouping. Now, I can understand the satire and/or political commentary implicit in the obverse designs, but what's up with the knife, plate, and fork chained to the table, I wonder?

One fascinating thing about Conders (like the later US Hard Times Tokens) is how they provide a snapshot into the political and social climate of the time, if I may word it rather academically. It's amusing (and sometimes baffling) to my 21st century mind to try and figure out the 18th century humor, allegory, and symbolism.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a very nice group, but for a lot of us collecting is about history. These conders are full of symbolism that reflect the thoughts and feelings of that time. How about a few lines describing the events these signify?
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!image
    Becky
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Where were you when I was single?!image

I like your area of expertise!

-Dan