Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Semi rant/ot: odd message from eBay buyer.

So I sold a textbook on eBay (the book is probably 3-5 lbs, typical textbook size). Anyway I put the max allOwed fixed shipping cost for the books category-$4- and stated I would ship media mail. Makes sense, right? Who would complain about $4 shipping AND handling for a big textbook? Well here was the note that came along with the PayPal payment:

Note to seller
USPS.com says that Media Mail is $2.41 for the 1st lbs. and $.39 for each additional pound. Can you refund the difference from what I paid for shipping? You can send me a partial Paypal refund or just put the cash in the inside cover which is probably the

I think they just put that note on every Purchase , fishing for tiny refunds (looks like a big buying account). I found it a little presumptuous though.
John
Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I sold a textbook on eBay (the book is probably 3-5 lbs, typical textbook size). Anyway I put the max allOwed fixed shipping cost for the books category-$4- and stated I would ship media mail. Makes sense, right? Who would complain about $4 shipping AND handling for a big textbook? Well here was the note that came along with the PayPal payment:

Note to seller
    USPS.com says that Media Mail is $2.41 for the 1st lbs. and $.39 for each additional pound. Can you refund the difference from what I paid for shipping? You can send me a partial Paypal refund or just put the cash in the inside cover which is probably the

I think they just put that note on every Purchase , fishing for tiny refunds (looks like a big buying account). I found it a little presumptuous though.
    John >>

Tape one or two pennies to the inside front cover.
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    send him paypal invoice for the tracking
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    So, if the package is 5 pounds, is he going to send you a nickle?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So I sold a textbook on eBay (the book is probably 3-5 lbs, typical textbook size). Anyway I put the max allOwed fixed shipping cost for the books category-$4- and stated I would ship media mail. Makes sense, right? Who would complain about $4 shipping AND handling for a big textbook? Well here was the note that came along with the PayPal payment:

Note to seller

John >>

Tape one or two pennies to the inside front cover. >>

Super glue a dollar bill and 7 pennies to the inside cover.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I'd write:
    My handling charge is $1.37, so it actually adds up to $4.29. Looks like you owe me 29 cents. I accept Paypal and cash.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS.com says that Media Mail is $2.41 for the 1st lbs. and $.39 for each additional pound.

Media mail is actually .41 for each additional pound. I'd tell them to stop trying to rip me off, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd write:
    My handling charge is $1.37, so it actually adds up to $4.29. Looks like you owe me 29 cents. I accept Paypal and cash. >>

This.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd write:
    My handling charge is $1.37, so it actually adds up to $4.29. Looks like you owe me 29 cents. I accept Paypal and cash. >>

This. >>

+2
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd write:

This. >>

+2 >>

+3
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Send him a tupperware container filled with dog poop.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

Note to seller

John >>

Wait, wha??? If the book weighs 4 lbs or more, then you're losing money on the shipping. I'd just politely point that out to the buyer and move on.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    you should include a book on economics. Or 5th grade math.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I wouldn't even reply to be honest. Like you said, they probably do that with every purchase AFTER they buy it.

When I purchase something off eBay, I include the shipping charge into the total. They should of asked you that BEFORE the purchase. Just disregard that message and Im sure theyll go away. If not, tell them that you will correct/adjust it with the next purchase they make from you and leave it at that.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to ship the book and ignore the message. I would love to tell the buyer what I think of his 'request', but I would love even more to not have to put up with any crap regarding this transaction.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Ignore...great idea...NOT!
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Just ship it and ignore it? No way. It's just about 2012...start this guy's year off with what he/she deserves- your honest thoughts about asking for a couple dimes.

Oh, and what's the user id?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time setup the auction to go around the fixed fees for categories by specifying the size of the package as being something really large - like an 8lb book instead of 4lbs, for example. In other words, use the "calculated" shipping instead of flat fee.

Or just ignore the guy.

Tabe
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Make sure the shipping comes out to right around $4 and print the postage cost on the label and highlight it.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the OP. Not worth your time and trouble to engage this buyer. Ship out and add him to your BBL and move on.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Ignore and block