Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think that these coins are one and the same?

Hello all - been a while since posting here, so hopefully I can get the links done correctly. I was looking for a large cent for a type set and found this coin on eBay:

eBay Large Cent

When doing some research for value info, I saw this one that sold on Teletrade one week ago:

Teletrade Large Cent

Was thinking of bidding - do these look the same to you?

"What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
"Exactly."

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the same coin, the first sans plastic.

peacockcoins

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello all - been a while since posting here, so hopefully I can get the links done correctly. I was looking for a large cent for a type set and found this coin on eBay:

eBay Large Cent

When doing some research for value info, I saw this one that sold on Teletrade one week ago:

Teletrade Large Cent

Was thinking of bidding - do these look the same to you? >>

Great detective work.

It sold six days ago on Teletrade (in an auction that closed on Sunday, 12/25/2011) in an NGC "AU Details, Whizzed" holder.

It is now on eBay raw, described thusly:

"Beautiful Coin , Rare Large Cent Strong Strike and Luster , Possibly long ago dipped or cleaned , I honestly don't know but most of these have , in any event , it looks exceptional !! We are listing loads of coins from a Private Collection both Raw and Slabbed . From a very picky collector , GREAT STUFF!!"

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Way to do your homework!

That guy is a real piece of work.....image
    Becky
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, it did not take long for the ebay seller to buy that collection and offer the coin on ebay!
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the same pics too only "brightened" for lack of a better term. You can see remnants of the prongs in the Ebay listing.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, same.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice sleuthing. No returns and you know it is whizzed so i assume you will pass. Thanks for sharing -- maybe you'll have prevented a purchase. It is sad how many details or genuine slabbed coins from the bigger auction houses end up raw on E-Bay.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, same coin. Many coins are being listed lately after being cracked out of Genuine holders, without listing the reason for ever being denied a grade. A good sign of a less than trustworthy seller. Mark them down for later benefit.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    running as a" private auction" too- probably shilling it up?
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I viewed the raw coin on e-bay, my first thought was its Whizzed, then sure enough, Teletrade auction shows the coin in an NGC whizzed holder.

JIm

I see a lot of this going on, sellers breaking out problem coins, then selling on e-bay to the unknowledgeable as good coins.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow . . . remember buying a slab from them a while ago . . . probably a Doily. Although obviously it was unaltered, I still like to jot these down in my memory so I don't support the negative elements on eBay.

Good sleuthing and thanks for alerting us . .

Drunner
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect example of why buying raw coins on eBay is very risky.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    No doubt, it's the same coin.

Whizzed?

It's not like a TPG has never been wrong now is it?

I know I've resubmitted genuine coins and gotten graded coins back.

I'm just saying that until you actually see the coin in hand, you really do not know and can only go by what someone else thought. TPG or not.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Interestingly, he will also take the Teletrade photo and enhance it and then use it for his eBay auction(s).

Example:

Teletrade Morgan

eBay Morgan

peacockcoins

• Options
    ^Just for fun, you know there is very little likelihood he has this Morgan in hand yet has no problem puffing up the coin in his auction description.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow . . . remember buying a slab from them a while ago . . . probably a Doily. Although obviously it was unaltered, I still like to jot these down in my memory so I don't support the negative elements on eBay.

Good sleuthing and thanks for alerting us . .

Drunner >>

Bought one older holdered coin from the too. Not likely to EVER buy raw on eBay.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, some eBay sellers use this business model to scam their customers---buy a problem coin in an NGC or PCGS slab, crack it out, sell it raw on eBay, and don't disclose the problems. Caveat Emptor when buying raw coins, especially on eBay.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No doubt, it's the same coin.

Whizzed?

I'm just saying that until you actually see the coin in hand, you really do not know and can only go by what someone else thought. TPG or not. >>

That might be an argument with a coin assigned questionable color. But whizzing is pretty blatant and I doubt there's much question.

The seller is slimy. He cracked a coin and is reselling it with no disclosure. He stole Teletrade photos, cropped them and tried to disguise the prongs. Then for good measure he juiced them.

The Morgan photos are stolen and juiced as well.

Sorry, I see no way to forgive this behavior.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not like a TPG has never been wrong now is it? >>

I would guess that the top tier slabbing companies are right at least 95% of the time when it comes to identifying problem coins.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does that ebay "raw" image actually show part of the prong!?!?!?!? What a piece of work. I see 2 prongs on the obv and 2 on the rev.

He couldn't even wait until the coin was in his hands and he took an image.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing how long it takes me to get a coin from Teletrade, do you think he even has this coin in hand yet?

Also, his listing as a "loads of coins from a private collection" is an outright lie, unless you think of teletrade as being a private collection.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope he gets about $65 for it.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whizzed?

I'm just saying that until you actually see the coin in hand, you really do not know and can only go by what someone else thought. TPG or not. >>

Then, I would expect an "honest" seller to do one of 2 things....either state that a TPGS had an opinion already and that there may be disagreement, or don't give any hype. Give a good picture, state "it is what you see" and let it go from there. The ebay seller hypes the coin, almost certainly knows the TT history, and is being disingenious if not dishonest, imho.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

Whizzed?

That might be an argument with a coin assigned questionable color. But whizzing is pretty blatant and I doubt there's much question.

The seller is slimy. He cracked a coin and is reselling it with no disclosure. He stole Teletrade photos, cropped them and tried to disguise the prongs. Then for good measure he juiced them.

The Morgan photos are stolen and juiced as well.

Sorry, I see no way to forgive this behavior.
    Lance. >>

Obviously. Once the sharks start circling it all over.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Knowing how long it takes me to get a coin from Teletrade, do you think he even has this coin in hand yet?

Also, his listing as a "loads of coins from a private collection" is an outright lie, unless you think of teletrade as being a private collection. >>

Could he be in "Florence California". If so, two days tops to get a Teltrade delivery.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

I would guess that the top tier slabbing companies are right at least 95% of the time when it comes to identifying problem coins. >>

Absolutely right but that still leaves 5%

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would guess that the top tier slabbing companies are right at least 95% of the time when it comes to identifying problem coins. >>

Absolutely right but that still leaves 5% >>

Your math skills are quite impeccable but I don't like those odds.image

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree.

In fact when it comes to 'whizzing', I think the percentages of accuracy are even higher.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Yes, it appears to be the same coin. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without even looking into it, I can state with great confidence that Florence, Mississippi is the source of at least one slimeball that has either revised their eBay ID or changed accounts multiple times for obvious reasons. I would never buy anything from a seller listing this locality.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    The ebay pic also has the same reverse "tilt" as the TT pick.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those of you that are more familiar with eBay's fee structure may have already thought of this possibility with this coin. Could he be running an eBay auction on the coin before he has it in hand so that if the auction does not go high enough, he returns the coin to TT and somehow cancels the eBay auction? Or would eBay fees preclude this possibility?

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm. Small world, this numismatic community. And sharp eyed, some of us.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Pulled by eBay, goooooone.
  • Options
  • Options
    All of his listings are "private" to hide his shill bidding and to prevent others from contacting the buyers and alerting them of his fraud.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interestingly, he will also take the Teletrade photo and enhance it and then use it for his eBay auction(s).

Example:

Teletrade Morgan

eBay Morgan >>

He overpaid for that so-called"stunning" toning. Most likely will take a loss on it imo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file