Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A question: will PCGS downgrade a coin while putting in an attribution?

I have a coin graded RED which is turning RB in the holder. It is a variety which I would like on the label so I need the coin to be reholdered and attributed officially.

Will they change the grade to RB in the process of doing the attribution? I am not asking for a regrade, per se, just the attribution. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    They shouldn't!
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    but will they nevertheless? I don't want the coin essentially downgraded in the process of doing something else with the coin.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But if now newly holdered, will the No Color guarantee of a new holder over ride
    a guarantee from an older holder?

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    exactly! Can Don Willis comment on this one?
  • Options
    Why would you want a RB coin in a Red holder? The actual worst thing for you would be for them to put it back into a red holder and drop the coverage as it fall into the wrong date side of the copper insurance. Play by the rules and PCGS has a long track record of protecting collectors at the highest levels which is one of the main reasons their brand is so strong.

My recommendation:
    Resubmit the coin under Secure Plus and accept any down grade and settlement they offer while putting the variety on the holder. All SP reholders are regraded from my understanding. If you are just looking to get it in an incorrect Red holder with a variety on the holder to pass the coin along and bury some sucker who only looks at the plastic, then I only have personal advice for you which you can PM me if you truly want it.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But if now newly holdered, will the No Color guarantee of a new holder over ride
    a guarantee from an older holder? >>

It is not the holder that determines the guarantee. If the coin was bought and graded prior to 2010 the color guarantee is still good. Putting it in a new holder (a reholder) doesn't change anything. The cert# remains the same as does the grade.

But asking for an attribution isn't a reholder. The coin needs to be examined by a grader, not reholdered by a clerk. So it is a regrade. And the numerical grade or color designation can change. If it's a post-2009 coin only the numerical grade is guaranteed.

So the answer is yes, the coin might lose its RD designation. But probably should anyway.
    Lance.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it has gone from RD to RB and they notice it, PCGS should change the coin's color designation and pay you for the difference in value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a coin is in a PCGS holder and is sent in for a variety attribution + the reholder fee that they charge nowimage there should be NO regrade. The grade should remain the same.

If this is not correct I would like to know. Actually as I have always been told...even on a regrade it can go up but NEVER down! And a variety attribution is NOT even a regrade.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A regrade can go down. But the grade guarantee protects you.
    Lance.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it has gone from RD to RB they notice it, PCGS should change it's color designation and pay you for the difference in value. >>

This is what I believe to be true.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>I have a coin graded RED which is turning RB in the holder. It is a variety which I would like on the label so I need the coin to be reholdered and attributed officially. >>

<< <i>Will they change the grade to RB in the process of doing the attribution? I am not asking for a regrade, per se, just the attribution. Your thoughts? >>

I dont really know for sure what the process is. And i agree with crypto 1000% (A RB COIN IS NOT A RD COIN) and should be labeled as such PERIOD
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    It COULD go down. That is for certain.

I have sent prolly 100+ PCGS coins for Variety and never had one go down (and believe me! some of them most certainly SHOULD have...).

However, none of them have been copper coins, nor were any coins that turned in the holder, so I am unsure of how applicable my results are in this case.
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    I had a coin that was a RB that was sent in for review (pvc) and it came back Brown
    ed rodrigues

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file