Home U.S. Coin Forum

New pick up for my Type Set! Capped Bust Half Dime

I don't post on here as much as I should, but I wanted to share this little beauty I picked up tonight! I have to admit, I am pretty jazzed about it!

Other than the obvious Red Book, does anyone have any other leads on a good coin book where one can learn more in depth about all of the great coins of our history? I am really enjoying this type set.

Thank you,
Jeff

Link

Comments

• commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Nice color on that little guy!
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    baseballjeff---some reading material that will deepen your interest includes the following:

Bowers, QD/A Guide Book of United States Type Coins (The Official Red Book series, vol. 3)
    Bowers, QD/The History of United States Coinage as Illustrated by the Garrett Collection
    Breen, W/Walter Breen’s Complete Encyclopedia of U. S. and Colonial Coins
    Doty, R/America’s Money, America’s Story (2nd Ed.)
    Lange, DW/History of the United States Mint and its Coinage
    Vermeule, C/Numismatic Art in America: Aesthetics of the United States Coinage (2nd Ed.)

Out of print titles can frequently be obtained via the Abebooks or Bibliofind websites/
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Your very attractive Capped Bust half dime is an example of the 1831 LM-6/V1 die marriage. Although it is arguably the most common die marriage in the series, it is an attractive and interesting coin, in a relatively late die state, as evidenced by the filling of S2.

Although all of the reference books cited by Sonorandesertrat are excellent, I would most highly recommend Bowers, Q.D./The History of United States Coinage as Illustrated by the Garrett Collection. This excellent book not only presents the coins themselves, but presents the history of their development, and the history of the fantastic Garrett collection, as well. It is sometimes difficult to find, and typically expensive when found, but well worth the effort.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup!
    I love the History of United States coinage. I ordered my pre-publication copy many years ago, and still read sections from it regularly.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice little baby Dime. Love the color!image
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for all the kind words! I found a copy of that book on Amazon this morning, and picked up a used copy! Looking forward to it.

Happy New Years Everyone!
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    There were a few nice PCGS Capped Bust Half-Dimes recently listed on eBay.

All were very attractive and I'm glad to see a forum member picked 1 up image
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great little coin. Congrats!
  • Love the look of it, what kind of Type set are you doing? US Type set?
    Smart people learn from their mistakes. Geniuses learn from others mistakes. Stupid people do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really little coin
    A really little very nice coin at that.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice example.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file