Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1993 Finest Baseball Refractors

Since when did 4SC enter the 1993 Finest Refractor market? For a set that I have loved for, well, 18 years now, I was disappointed to see them start selling very tough cards in PSA 10. The three that I've seen completed (Hershiser, Key, Bell) all look very small to me to be in PSA 10 holders. These cards are notoriously very tough to get above PSA 8. I've included the completed Hershiser auction below, thoughts?

Orel 'Surgery' Hershiser

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Wow, even though trimjobs they are still centered amazingly well for those three cards; add a centimeter to any side and they're still at worst 60/40.
  • Options
    I remember being in high school, working my ass off and buying a box of this for $265.00 I told myself I was going to never open it, give it to my grandkids. LOL, that lasted 4 days. I love 1993 Finest refractors. So beautiful.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Sold for WHAT??
  • Options

<< <i>Sold for WHAT?? >>

Yep $2499.99 and left money on the table, I assume on at least 5 of the 6 he sold last night...

To answer your question Mark, they have been subbing them for a little over a year now along with the base cards, almost as if they received cases of the product late in 2009.

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sold for WHAT?? >>

Yep $2499.99 and left money on the table, I assume on at least 5 of the 6 he sold last night...

To answer your question Mark, they have been subbing them for a little over a year now along with the base cards, almost as if they received cases of the product late in 2009.

-John >>

John,
    Yeah, I thought the Hershiser and Key could fetch more in an open auction, especially. I've been in and out of the '93 scene over the last year, so I wasn't aware 4SC became involved with them.

Mark
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    ughhh....
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sold for WHAT?? >>

-John >>

I noticed they had a George Brett base card PSA 10 for $50, I 'm not familiar with the series but that seemed high.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Someone needs to start tracking cert #'s from 4SC cards and make a database of them so I can be sure I never buy one of their cards 2nd hand....
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone needs to start tracking cert #'s from 4SC cards and make a database of them so I can be sure I never buy one of their cards 2nd hand.... >>

If it is such a concern, then YOU should start tracking the cert #'s.

I understand what you mean, but it comes across as though you want someone else to do the work to protect you. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but on this board, there are far too many that want others to do the labor for them...

In the meantime, how long until the pitchfork and torch crew jumps in?
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    The three following cards have sold for close to $2,500 on eBay recently. I agree that a 1993 Finest Refractor is the best buy.

To each their own, I suppose.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Sold for WHAT?? >>

-John >>

John,
    Yeah, I thought the Hershiser and Key could fetch more in an open auction, especially. I've been in and out of the '93 scene over the last year, so I wasn't aware 4SC became involved with them.

Mark >>

I know they have been selling a crap load of base cards, my guess is they bought someone out that had a few cases. Aren't they also New England Sportscards? Because they also have a few listed.

My guess on auctions would have been better on Hershiser, Key, Bell, Biggio & Murray. The 2 they had/have at $124.99 were probably about right but maybe would have got more had they gone to auction there haven't been a lot of PSA 10's listed this year, or PSA 9's for that matter, I know I miss a few auctions/ BIN's but they have for the most part dried up from years past.

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.