Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not so hypothetical--Raw coins on ebay--It's probably real but...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ebay is a mine field of traps and bombs, but occasionally, a good purchase can be made. I reported one that I made last week.

When you encounter the coin purchase that looks too good to be true, how do you handle it?

Pass
Take a flyer if it is not a lot of money
Bid a fraction of the coin's worth to limit your downside
Any other strategies?

Assume that the seller looks legit, there is a return privilege, the feedback profile is strong, but there is no way you can authenticate the coin or properly assess it. And, no, in this hypothetical, if you choose the wromg answer, there will be no uninvited houseguests. image

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I bought a raw coin it was counterfeit - but so cool that I kept it. image

A very well made 1876 IHC, shallow N.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    This hypothetical happened to me today.

Bought an expensive coin in a series I know NOTHING about.
    Did some quick 15-20 minutes of research (gotta love google).
    Felt fairly confident it was authentic (from my limited experience and visual comparisons)
    ...it just had the look, and the Chinese ain't counterfeiting these...YET!
    There's a full 7-day return from a 100% Feedback seller.

I won it for a fraction of an authentic coins value (maybe 10-15% of its true value).

Is it worth it to be wrong? Probably since it will likely only cost me shipping + insurance
    to return the coin. And what's the fun of numismatics if you don't take risks every now
    and again!?!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I did once buy an 1872-S quarter in NGC AU (since crossed to PCGS) on eBay from a seller with feedback of 46.

I went through a lengthy thought process and decided to go for it.

I must have been nuts, but the coin was legit and I made money when I sold it.

(Double-spaced in memory of Bear.)

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I typically bid enough so that I would only be outbid by someone who was sure it was real. Works well when I win, although it leads to some laughable bidding patterns if a few experts jump in at the end...
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Pass. A cesspool is made to hold waste.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Research it as heavily as I can - Google searches, die markers, mint mark position, etc and in the end, if all checks out, knowing that Ebay will back me if it isn't what I thought it was, I bid (or Buy it Now).

Last year around this time I found a "Buy it Now" on a raw 1879-CC Morgan listed as AU. It had been up for three and a half days. The pictures were poor, but it looked like there was decent luster and relatively little wear, if any. The BIN was $350. I was a bit spooked since it had been around for a few days and the price was TGTBT. Everything checked out diagnostically and the seller had over 200 positive feedback, so I bit. It now resides in an MS61 slab from our host.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    I've picked up two dream pieces in the past two years off eBay. Both raw. One from Mexico with no returns. However, both pieces were from more obscure areas of Mexican numismatics in very high states of preservation. The kind of stuff you will likely never see from major auction houses or dealer websites.

In both cases I placed a high snipe and was fortunate enough to be the high bidder. If you are confident in your judgment of the images provided, and it feels right... go for it.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Read the seller's feedback, see terms and condition, make sure I've done all my research. Then decide.
  • Options
    Barry,,,,, Your Avitar is just plain wiered..........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file