Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is why I search ebay.

WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
Every once in a while, some one makes a mistake about not what they are listing (although that also happens) but how it was listed.

This was a 24 hour listing posted mid day and closed 6 pm pacific time. It was in a NTC holder which no doubt kept some from bidding, but for $77, I was willing to take the chance on a $1600 coin.
NTC 1909 VDB

And it arrived today, in a new three pronger!
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can add another "YS" award to your list!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice catch.
  • Options
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its crooked in the holder image
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Wow!!!!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most excellent!!! And I agree wholeheartedly about Ebay coughing up gems every now and then to those with the time and energy to search for them. I've gathered a few myself...image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you just love a great eBay score? Very satisfying!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ever read my old NTC thread???
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ever read my old NTC thread??? Yes I have.

But the next coin I was not so lucky. Its an 1911 D only is actually a RPM #4 (I wish all coins had these clear large format pics!!). It arrived this week and its been recolored. I still may get it in a genuine holder.

NTC 1911 D
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is everyone searching 'NTC' on Ebay right now?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is everyone searching 'NTC' on Ebay right now? >>

Darn I thought I was the only one cherrypicking these holders image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Congrats.

A shame about the fingerprint but for $77 I think you can live with it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats- the original picture did offer significant hope- great lustre

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Great buy but 24 hour listing, wow that's suicidal.

<< Is everyone searching 'NTC' on Ebay right now? >>

and checking to see what else the seller is selling image
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 1795 FH half graded VF20 in an NTC holder. Had a coin dealer talk me down about it and sold it. A few months later I see that coin in a prominent dealer's inventory as an NGC 30. I wasn't too impressed.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ever read my old NTC thread??? Yes I have.

But the next coin I was not so lucky. Its an 1911 D only is actually a RPM #4 (I wish all coins had these clear large format pics!!). It arrived this week and its been recolored. I still may get it in a genuine holder.

NTC 1911 D >>

fixed
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is everyone searching 'NTC' on Ebay right now? >>

No.

As with ANY subpar TPG you can get burned just as easily as scoring big.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score. Frankly, I like the look of the coin, NTC or otherwise. Even a brown MS 65 VDB is worth $30-$40
    For $77 it would seem the coin had neglible downside risk as a choice unc MS Red and 20X upside potential. I like that ratio!

And that ebay seller even listed that the coin had doubling on LIBERTY and FS-012.....and yet it was mostly panned. Amazing.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file