Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hypothetical: You can have it, but only you will know.

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
Pick the coin that you have always wanted: a Stella, a 1796 half in AU, a lovely Chain cent in AU-58, a badly corroded rare Vermont copper--whatever!

Now, a friend offers you the coin at a fraction of its market value and an affordable price to you under the condition that you can have it for the rest of your life, you cannot sell it, and it gets sold back to him or his estate at your purchase price upon your departure from the earthly forum.

Oh, there is one other catch. You cannot tell anyone about it, display it on your website, add it to your registry set, or even show it to your children's second grade class. If you make any attempt to alert anyone that you have it, the coin will disappear forever AND Saintguru will magicly appear at your home for an extended visit.

Would you take the deal?

Comments

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I wouldn't like it.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    No Deal

There's no joy in not sharing what you have in your collection!
    It's as if the coins themselves don't exist.

BTW - have you seen my Roll of 1804 Bust Dollars....Oooops, I guess SG will be making a visit soon image
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I don't like the inevitable penalties. image
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd pass too many red flags for my comfort
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you started drinking already?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pass. I have lots of collector friends, and not being able to show it and discuss with them would be a big PITA.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if he would buy all my dreck for what I paid for it!

Seriously, I would say no, as for me it just isn't much fun if I can't share the cool stuff with other people.

Saintguru-- no problemo, someone else for my Viszla to annoy. image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks. I'm afraid of Saintguru.
    Lance.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the masses. Can't show it off? Can't make a buck on it years down the road? In fact, it would cost you buying power due to inflation just to be it's keeper.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    RYK: Have you contracted the dreaded LHPWS disease?

[LHPWS = Longacre Hypothetical Posts Withdrawl Syndrome]
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    You can shove that deal where the sun don't shine.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why? You never really own it. You are only a custodian which is a liablility - the coin could be lost, stolen or get damaged under your watch.
  • Options

<< <i>RYK: Have you contracted the dreaded LHPWS disease?

[LHPWS = Longacre Hypothetical Posts Withdrawl Syndrome] >>

Actually, I think that this gets at the heart of why people collect coins, so give me a little latitude here, bro. image
  • Options

<< <i>You can shove that deal where the sun don't shine. >>

Okay, if we take Saintguru out of the deal, is it a go? image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take it...probably would slip up though and lose it. See my UNC chain cent, darn...it was here just a minute ago...wait...who's that funny looking dude in the driveway!!!image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>

<< <i>You can shove that deal where the sun don't shine. >>

Okay, if we take Saintguru out of the deal, is it a go? image >>

You're getting warmer image
  • Options
    I would like to return the coin, but it was lost in the boating accident.image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would feel like that Gollum guy from the Lord of the Rings, except I'm be going: "My Hunley! My Hunley!"
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>RYK: Have you contracted the dreaded LHPWS disease?

[LHPWS = Longacre Hypothetical Posts Withdrawl Syndrome] >>

Actually, I think that this gets at the heart of why people collect coins, so give me a little latitude here, bro. image >>

Mmmmm... well ... OK ... I'll allow it. But only if you pull the Saintguru part of the deal out. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd set it right next to the 1804 dollar, 1822 half eagle and 1933 double eagle that I can't tell any of you about!

D'oh!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way I'm happy with Dan's repo of the 64-D Peace.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would do it. I have not shown people 90% of my collection. (of course, that's because it's all modern clad stuff pulled from circulation...but still, I have not shown it to people!)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No if there are strings attached.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were not for this forum, I can assure you that nearly all of my coins would be a private passion and not seen by anyone at all. I can live with that. I enjoy the feedback, the 'companionship' on this forum and it enhances the coins...but in reality, in preinternet days, if you werent in a coin club, or 'connected' your collection was your private affair. Many great, legendary collectors of the past had holdings which were fairly well unknown. They were private, keeping their collections a well hidden (in detail) secret.

And yes...Ill take that well corroded Vermont Copper and keep it a blooming secret for ever. You can make that one of the Ryder 5 Struck pieces...OK?
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

These Forums really are running out of things to discuss! Except for bullion.

I would take the offer in a heart beat,,,and give it back when asked to.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

Heck, that the way it is now for most of my coins soooo Yes Indeed, ship it
  • Options
    This sounds like the perfect scenario for owning a 1933 Saint!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I said NO as soon as I read the condition that I could not display it anywhere. It's essentially a "loaner" coin, like so many very wealthy collectors of everything rare might loan to a museum. In fact, given that "offer" I'd decline (as much as I would love to possess and care for such a treasure) and recommend that your estate rather put it on loan to the Smithsonian or any other highly regarded numismatic museum collection for that matter. Your hypothetical proposition is just not worth it for me. Heck, I'd even pay the museum admission fees just to see it at will! In other words I'd pay you to let me see it, but I ain't accepting your conditions of "possession".

Cheers!

Kirk
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    If you sold me an 1861-O half dollar in MS-70, I would gladly enjoy it by myself for my life. No one but me would even care, so I would be very happy.
    Tom

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clandestine Rent-a-coin. I like it. Top Pop Wire Rim High Relief Saint for me.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware of encumbered anything.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    I would be cool with never selling one or not being able to publicly display the same coin.

However I think I'd have to show and tell close friends.

Edit: I'm not even sure if anyone knows where my personal favorite coin is at this point anyways.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not.
    I say save up until you can buy your dream coin outright.

• Options

<< <i>AND Saintguru will magicly appear at your home for an extended visit. >>

This is a bad dream..isn't it......?!?!??!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    I would take the deal. I would enjoy the 1854-S $5 enough that it would not matter to me that I could not tell anyone nor that I would not profit from it.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the coin is stolen to me. I think this is how high end theives enjoy their stolen artwork. --Jerry
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, probably stolen.

So in your scenario I would still have to PAY for the coin?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With those parameters it would not be my coin. No deal.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>Yeah, probably stolen.

So in your scenario I would still have to PAY for the coin? >>

Yes, it is a hypothetical that gets to the heart of some collecting issues (and how people would feel about having SaintGuru as a houseguest).

It has nothing to do with stolen coins. There are several conditions that are purely fantasy.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd happily take the deal for one of those gem, prooflike 1796 quarters.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Sounds like Green Bay Packer stock. you can have it, but you can't own it. Sounds like yer payin rent.
  • Options

<< <i>Nope. Sounds like Green Bay Packer stock. you can have it, but you can't own it. Sounds like yer payin rent. >>

I disagree. Do Packer shareholders get Aaron Rodgers in their living rooms every night?
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    The 1893 cc in the GSA holder. As for the apperance of Saintguru at my home, he can't be worse than some of the houseguests I've had. But it still sounds like I'm paying to store someone elses coin.

• Options

"So, how many do you want?"

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    I'm thinking if this question was asked 75 years ago to a large gathering of collectors and dealers where they would have had to write down their answer, you would have received very different answers with a different thought process behind them.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    No I wouldn't do it, it would be like it didn't exist.

And please sober up before the Steelers game tomorrow afternoon! Happy New Year!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I have many coins that no one knows about.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nope. Sounds like Green Bay Packer stock. you can have it, but you can't own it. Sounds like yer payin rent. >>

I disagree. Do Packer shareholders get Aaron Rodgers in their living rooms every night? >>

The restrictions on disposal, etc. are pretty much the same. Frankly, I wouldn't want AR in my living room every night, even if he was willing to show up. Why would anyone want a coin that isn't theirs or never would be theirs?

My passion for the Badgers likely matches yours for the Steelers. My passion for the Packers and pro football in general. Meh.
  • Options
    What is a fraction of market value? I mite tie up $50 in a $500K coin, but I sure wouldn't tie up $25K.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file