Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA specs department?

Does anyone know if there is a good contact in tthe psa specs department that we could deal with to try to get cards approved for grading? Many of the cards I sub are oddball rookie cards. I psa has done a pretty good job working with me to get approval on most items. I've dealt with customer service in the past and usually get an attitude that they are too busy to keep looking into certain cards... One person in customer sewrvice litterally asked me to stop asking and just send the card.... Which I know is a waste of time and ill just get a voucher. One case that another board member and I are are working on is a soccer card issued by panini in 2003. I couldn't find the set on the panini website so I sent them a question about the details of the set. I got a detailed answer back from customer service at Panini along with a scan of the checklist. We fw this to customer service and their responce was unless its published on the internet they can't accept it. This makes zer sense. Of all the ridiculous cards I've asked about I would think a modern card issued by Panini would be pretty easy to approve. Sorry for the long post.... I'm just looking for a good contact to work with on questions like this other than customer service who seems to busy to take time to research things like this.
Thanks
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    Morning,

E-Mail Cosetta, although I have not had 100% positive results with all of my requests I have at least known that she listened and attempted to help. When I have tried to add or change the info for certain Non Sports stuff, PSA has the tendency to take the opinion of Long Time HOF Set collectors, even when you disprove something they believe in with Hard evidence!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know if there is a good contact in tthe psa specs department that we could deal with to try to get cards approved for grading? Many of the cards I sub are oddball rookie cards. I psa has done a pretty good job working with me to get approval on most items. I've dealt with customer service in the past and usually get an attitude that they are too busy to keep looking into certain cards... One person in customer sewrvice litterally asked me to stop asking and just send the card.... Which I know is a waste of time and ill just get a voucher. One case that another board member and I are are working on is a soccer card issued by panini in 2003. I couldn't find the set on the panini website so I sent them a question about the details of the set. I got a detailed answer back from customer service at Panini along with a scan of the checklist. We fw this to customer service and their responce was unless its published on the internet they can't accept it. This makes zer sense. Of all the ridiculous cards I've asked about I would think a modern card issued by Panini would be pretty easy to approve. Sorry for the long post.... I'm just looking for a good contact to work with on questions like this other than customer service who seems to busy to take time to research things like this.
    Thanks >>

Sadly, you may simply be running into a cost/benefit wall on their side. PSA tries very hard to be accomodating, but it probably DOES take a significant amount of work to approve a new spec as I doubt its a simple clerical decision. For a card for which maybe 1-2 subs will ever be made, and that someone might try and add to a master set, it's got to be a headache with little reward for them.

Can they really justify spending much time researching and approving an oddball issue that MIGHT gross them $50 in fees in the forseeable future?
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Try contacting the operations manager, Scott Single. He's been helpful to me with similar issues.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can they really justify spending much time researching and approving an oddball issue that MIGHT gross them $50 in fees in the foreseeable future? >>

If the card fits the criteria, then yes, it's their responsibility to do so. Doing the right thing in business, should not boil down to profits in every single instance. The database of these Master sets is managed quite inefficiently, as I see it, and if the mainstream cards would get put in all at once, revenues would be positively effected, offsetting the cost of the "oddball".

Here's an example; It just took months to get the OPC 1965 AL Home Run Leader and RBI Leader cards into the Killebrew Master set. These are not obscure oddball items, and were in fact, already in the Mantle Master set. Seems to me that as soon as this card (or any multiple player card with players that have master sets) gets added, it should be automatically added to the sets of the players pictured if they have sets. Wouldn't that SAVE time in the long run?

Another example is the 1961 Post Cereal cards, looks to me like every player had two cards, one from the box and a perforated one that you could send in for. Killebrew's perforated card is in, but his hand cut card is not yet (I have one submitted, if it gets a grade, I will be requesting it's addition) Sit down one time with a "Standard Catalog" and put them in. Done

With the competitive nature of many in the registry, any time a card gets added, revenue will be increased in the form of more submissions. If the card is that "obscure" perhaps it doesn't fit the criteria anyway.

I am not too familiar with Pannini, but it seems like they "get it".

My other objection is a card can only be added after it's graded, well if there's already one in someone's set (see Killebrew/Mantle example above) that should not be necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I am having a lot of fun trying to complete my set, it's just annoying sometimes when it's so hard and takes so long for them to get added.

Happy collecting and Happy New Year!

Joe

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Can they really justify spending much time researching and approving an oddball issue that MIGHT gross them $50 in fees in the foreseeable future? >>

If the card fits the criteria, then yes, it's their responsibility to do so.

>>

I didn't realize they had a RESPONSIBILITY to add or grade any card. That's purely a business decision, isn't it?

<< <i>Doing the right thing in business, should not boil down to profits in every single instance. The database of these Master sets is managed quite inefficiently, as I see it, and if the mainstream cards would get put in all at once, revenues would be positively effected, offsetting the cost of the "oddball".

Here's an example; It just took months to get the OPC 1965 AL Home Run Leader and RBI Leader cards into the Killebrew Master set. These are not obscure oddball items, and were in fact, already in the Mantle Master set. Seems to me that as soon as this card (or any multiple player card with players that have master sets) gets added, it should be automatically added to the sets of the players pictured if they have sets. Wouldn't that SAVE time in the long run?

>>

I agree that populating all the base cards into sets shouldn't be an issue, but again its a business decision first and foremost. They DO NOT provide the registry for any purpose other then to encourage submissions. IOW, to make money. As for adding a card to an existing set, don't they have to poll the registrants before simply adding it? Even in the case of the LL card above? That takes time and effort, usually for little return on their part.

<< <i>
    Don't get me wrong, I am having a lot of fun trying to complete my set, it's just annoying sometimes when it's so hard and takes so long for them to get added.

Happy collecting and Happy New Year!

Joe >>

Agree on all counts there. Just trying to look at it from their side and see what logical obstacles there are to adding everything that gets requested in a timely fashion.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I would just like to see some more consistency. Panini is one of the 3 largest manufactures in the world. Its in the same ballpark as topps and ud. I would think a lisenced, regularly distributed issue would be pretty easy approve for grading. Especially with an email directly from panini confirming the specs of the set. I know that soccer cards immaterial to their bottom line but it shouldn't really matter. The more issues they grade the more potential revenue. I think they set the bar pretty low when they decided to slab match books. I'm not trying to make this is rant about psa. I have complained about psa in the past before having anything to compare it to. I just got through a 2 day sub at bgs that took 5 days and they couldn't find my sub for 3 days and zero communication. Needless to say I'm back on the psa bandwagon.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Little return on their part?

I'll wager the registry has had the biggest positive effect on submissions since grading has become in vogue. PSA is the best, and in my opinion, only company to deal with for cards I collect...........1955-1975.

I am not sure if PSA invented the idea of a Set Registry, but there SHOULD BE some responsibility to run it logically as well as efficiently and profitably. As I mentioned, every business make these decisions. Sometime to maintain credibility and accuracy, today's profits aren't the ONLY consideration. I think this is called "Long term thinking/planning" not too many people use it anymore.

As far as being a poll taken on the Killebrew LL card. Why would they have to take a poll? It's in the registry already (as is the Post example) they are both Hall-of-Fame players, they are both on the card. Killebrew was in fact, the leader in home runs that year. I again ask, wouldn't it be cheaper, faster, easier and more profitable to do it at the same time than having to do it for every individual request?

I will bet you that every other Killebrew collector in the Registry that has these two cards will submit them! This will increase profits. Does PSA want some, or all of my cards graded?

PSA is free to run their company any way they want. I don't get a vote. However I have spent a lot of money getting my cards graded, and companies that respond to their customers wants and "needs" receive something that doesn't always show up on a monthly balance sheet.........loyalty.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Little return on their part?

I'll wager the registry has had the biggest positive effect on submissions since grading has become in vogue. PSA is the best, and in my opinion, only company to deal with for cards I collect...........1955-1975.

I am not sure if PSA invented the idea of a Set Registry, but there SHOULD BE some responsibility to run it logically as well as efficiently and profitably. As I mentioned, every business make these decisions. Sometime to maintain credibility and accuracy, today's profits aren't the ONLY consideration. I think this is called "Long term thinking/planning" not too many people use it anymore.

As far as being a poll taken on the Killebrew LL card. Why would they have to take a poll? It's in the registry already (as is the Post example) they are both Hall-of-Fame players, they are both on the card. Killebrew was in fact, the leader in home runs that year. I again ask, wouldn't it be cheaper, faster, easier and more profitable to do it at the same time than having to do it for every individual request?

I will bet you that every other Killebrew collector in the Registry that has these two cards will submit them! This will increase profits. Does PSA want some, or all of my cards graded?

PSA is free to run their company any way they want. I don't get a vote. However I have spent a lot of money getting my cards graded, and companies that respond to their customers wants and "needs" receive something that doesn't always show up on a monthly balance sheet.........loyalty.

Joe >>

We're confusing the issue the OP started with ("oddball rookie cards") with more common cards. I honestly don't think PSA is dragging their feet much on adjusting a registry set for a mainstream card, but I do think they aren't being very responsive to the OP for his edge cases. My reply was targeted at his edge cases more than anything else.

All emotion aside, if we can for a minute: PSA isn't hurting for loyalty at the moment, and they aren't going to lose any business by not making registry adds a bigger priority.

Specifically on the LL card - just because it's in the registry doesn't mean that it can get unilaterally added to a given set without consulting the existing owners of that set, at least not in my observation of the process. Yeah, it's an obvious addition in my eyes too, but that's isn't their stated procedure is it?
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    PSA set up their guidelines for items that get included in the registry when they added this feature to their companies offerings. If in fact a card that has been graded (one of the requirements to be added if I am not mistaken) satisfies all of those requirements then PSA MUST add it to the set, or they need to redefine their requirements.

It's not up to the other set owners who might not have the card, and therefor want to exclude it for selfish reasons. By the way, I am at #3 all time in my players Registry and have never been polled on a card's inclusion or exclusion.

There is no confusion at all on my part, it doesn't matter if it's an "oddball" card or a mainstream card, it was merely was an example where the database was managed inefficiently.

Again, when you make the rules, you are responsible to play by them. Eagles33 has done his due diligence and proven his item meets PSA's requirements, it must be in. His other point about consistency is also well taken. That should be a goal of any business.

Specifically the LL card. Please explain to me why there is any reason this card should not unilaterally (good word) be added. It exists in the registry already and is in a different players set, pictures both players and both players have registries. It MUST go, and has already gone, in. You simply cannot keep it out of the Killebrew set. Again consistency.

Perhaps the word responsibility should be banned from these forums. Every day I see more and more people that want the benefits, but do not want to have any responsibilities.

Joe

edited to add. Of course PSA has a loyal following right now, that was exactly my point. I was trying to make the point that long term any company no matter how popular will suffer from a lack of customer service, another of the OP's complaints.
  • Options

<< <i>tl;dr

Joe >>

So, all the posts on here about them polling set registrants for additions, such as the HOF and ATG sets, are BS and don't happen? I'm legitimately confused here, so I'm going to stop debating as I might be grossly misinformed.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    I only said I have never been asked. It seems to me that you are going to get another debate similar to who belongs in the HOF. LOL

Noticed your post on the "cutting lines" question. Here again consistency. Lines should either count or they shouldn't.

I enjoyed the debate, we can agree to disagree?

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>I enjoyed the debate, we can agree to disagree?

Joe >>

Nope. image

Seriously, I've learned more from debates/discussions on here than I have in 20 years of visiting Card Shops.

----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    Glad there's no hard feelings!

I have been working on the REAL Killebrew registry long before PSA thought of it. LMFAO It's about 30 pages of cards, marbles, superballs, magazines, figurines.......you name it.

I would like to take a guess as to the real issue here. PSA came up with a great idea with the player sets. Only the very rich are going to go to a different company once they have "bought in". However it's become too popular! Collectors are going nuts! They won't leave PSA alone. We're glad you like the Registry, but we have other stuff to do.

Usually companies budget each area of their business. My thought is that PSA assigned these updates to a person or persons who are now overwhelmed with work, but the budget is not going to be increased until some point in the future (and possibly not then, it's their company).

Seems to me from reading the old posts cards were added very quickly. Ah the good old days.

Happy New Year!

Joe