Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1637 Salzburg Taler

Saw this one floating around Ebay during the Christmas holiday and thought I would take a gamble. The seller's image was not clear yet slab showed PCGS AU-50. I set my low bid and... won. I guess this shows that there are still opportunities out there - combination of reduced holiday traffic and less than optimal image made the difference.

Seller's image:

My images:

Comments

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow Z you did really good - you know I'm really conservative but this one looks AU58 image

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Marc - I am really pleased and the price feels really good here (1/2 what i think its worth). I thought 53-55 was the grade given some wear on high points on obv/rev.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the significance of the Coat of Arms beneath the Madonna. Your recent acquisition shows a Lion (rampant?). The one I recently purchased from you shows a quartered Arms.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

From various references, the Salzburg coat-of-arms is probably derived from the personal seal of Duke Philipp of Carinthia, who was the elected Archbishop of Salzburg in the years 1246 to 1256. It is likely that the device of the black lion on a golden field was borrowed from the Hohenstaufen coat-of-arms. The princely coronet was added to the coat-of-arms when Salzburg became an autonomous Crown Land of the Austrian Empire in 1805 and 1850.

The current crown was added to the coat of arms and Salzburg flag only when the principality fell under Habsburg rule in 1816. The other elements of the flag date back to the late 13th or early 14th century. The arms were formally adopted again by provincial laws in 1920.

The coat of arms of Salzburg is divided in gold and red. On the left is a standing black lion with red tongue and claws. On the right is a silver stripe. A prince's hat sits on the shield. It has five ermine tips, the two on the side are only half seen. The hood is totally purple and displays three golden buckles adorned with pearls. On the middle of the buckles is the orb. The arms show in gold a black lion, Per pale Or a Lion rampant Sable langued and armed Gules and of the last a Fess Argent. Crowned with prince's coronet proper.The heraldic lion of Salzburg representing the northern portions, that once belonged to the sphere of influence of Salzburg