Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any Comic Collectors here?

I was looking to get my girlfriends son some comic books for his birthday (promote reading). He has never had any before and thought it would be something he would like. Does anyone have any they dont care about laying around they would want to sell. Im guessing 10-20 with various titles. Superman, Spiderman, Hulk, the basic comic heroes. Hes turning 8 and im just getting him into the card hobby, teaching him how to read the stats and player info on the cards. I got him a binder with some pages in it for Christmas to put cards in. Hes always reading the backs of the cards, bringing it to me asking about the stats and what something means. I think he would really like comic books.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

Comments

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Talk to Neil..thedutymon....he has some very interesting stories about selling millions in comics.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Don't collect but might be able to help PM sent.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Evening,

I could throw a medium Box full of stuff together, Should have Wolverine and other stuff he would like, mostly 80's/90's stuff, new condition. I could throw in some neat other ones as well.

Let me know

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Talk to Neil..thedutymon....he has some very interesting stories about selling millions in comics. >>

No that was making Millions....Yeah Wish !!!!image

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Neil, PM sent
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    if you wanted more i can get some out too...
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I have a few comics, including some CGC graded ones. The costs of grading comics is VERY high compared to the costs of grading cards.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    The cost of grading comics with CGC and the current turnaround times make me cry. I am waiting on some really sweet books to come back which I had signed by the legend Steranko (early Captain Americas, X-Mens, Giant Sized Hulk and some Strange Tales) I spent with shipping close to $45 each on grading alone and will end up waiting 6+ months to get them back.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your efforts, 1980scollector is going to be sending B-man some comics for his birthday.
    ....I never understood grading a comic book. Its like a book you cant open just look at the cover.
  • Options
    I have over 10,000 high grade one owner comic books, Trades, Hardcovers and Graphic Novels. Marvel, DC, As well as many Independant Titles.

Of Coarse Spidey and Batman are two my favorites.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

John
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    If he's 8 years old, I really recommend the older comics where the stories were written to be more stand alone for each issue. The writing is much better these days, however the themes are much more mature and the story arcs tend to take place over several issues, which might cause him to lose interest if there are missing issues and the story gets confusing due to gaps. You can get the collected HC or TBP versions of his favorite superhero off Amazon fairly cheap.

Not a serious comic collector myself, but I do collect a small sample of Batman books from the early '70s (my childhood years).

• Options
    If he's 8, go to any store and look for the "marvel adventure" titles. They've got all the big marvel characters, the stories are all self contained and for all ages. Great intro to comics for someone his age.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I recommend that anyone who is into comics big time go and join the CGC comic forum. By far the best online forum for comic book collecting.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigreddog, I think I had that Spidey one where the sewer is flooding when I was a kid. It really looks familiar. I had a lot of marvel comics, Spiderman, Fantastic four, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Iron Fist,(when he got mad, his fist smoldered, it glowed, until it became not unlike a thing of iron!)image