Home Sports Talk
Options

Are there any hockey fans on this form?

Or is most the talk here football and baseball?

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a hockey fan. Since the "clutch and grab" era has been pretty much eliminated, it's better than ever to watch. I have a nice sized hdtv and can't get enough. Nice to watch a sport where TV hasn't figured out how to stop the action for commercials..........................yet.

Live in Minnesota, so that explains a lot. Nice to see the Wild playing better this year.

Joe

P.S. read a great book about Bobby Orr last year "Searching for Bobby Orr" a must read for hockey fans.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Because my best friend is an avid hockey fan and has season tickets I tend to go to plenty of NHL games during the season. I enjoy a good hockey game and I love my local team but I'm not dedicated as much as I am to football or baseball.

I have found there are certain parts of this country that are absolutely crazy about hockey but there are also just as many if not more places that couldn't care less.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruins fan here. Regular season is fun, but the best hockey is playoff time! Unbelievable the difference between regular season and playoffs when it comes to action, speed, effort, and quality of play.
  • Options
    Big time hockey fan.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hockey is my first love. Wings fan since the age of five. There was a ten year stretch where they made the 2000 era Lions look good. Been blessed the last 20 years. The best sport to watch in person.

I also follow college hockey religiously (Michigan fan) and LOVE the Olympic "tourney" every four years.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    hockey thread

best sport to see in person (IMHO)
    the players are (mostly) good eggs and very approachable, too.

• Options
    Agreed. I have run across numerous All-Star NHLers at various locales. I've almost always seen them to be very gracious with their time and signed autographs freely. They get it.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Quickly becoming my favorite sport. As others have said, best sport to attend in person, especially if you're sitting in the lower sections. As a Flyers fan, I'm enjoying a fun year, although they most likely couldn't beat the NY Rangers or Bruins in a 7 game series this year.

Let's hope the new CBA gets hammered out sooner, rather than later. They can't be that dumb again, can they?

Mark
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Senators fan checking in.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son plays:
  • Options
    Lightning season ticket holder, here.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hockey is one of the greatest sports to see in person, and is one of the few that is enjoyable from youth all the way to NHL level.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flyers all the way!!!!!!
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Big time hockey fan here. Definitely the best sports to watch live and even better to play. I, in fact, still play dek hockey much to my wife's dismay. I used to have Rangers season tickets, but I had to give them up. Not enough time to make the games like when I was younger and single.

Please note that there are exceptions to every rule, but hockey players in general are much better as far as interacting with fans and giving autographs. I still remember meeting Pierre LaRouche (not sure on the spelling), but he was the funnest guy you'd ever want to meet.

drwstr123, what position does your son play? Very cool, you must be proud.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Big Avs and Colorado College fan here. I also started playing hockey 5 years ago at the age of 32. By far the most fun I have ever had playing a sport. Good cardio too!
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    A fan of the game right here! Love watching any game I can.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Love thy puck!
  • Options

Huge hockey fan. My dad played, I still play, and my son plays. He is only 8 years old and he has a class project where they asked him about his goals in life and he put only one thing and that was to play in the nhl.
  • Options
    how good is STAMKOS?

has more goals BY FAR at his age than anyone ever! even the great one!

wow,, kid is good
  • Options
    big hawks fan and a hater of crosby.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how good is STAMKOS?

wow,, kid is good >>

Uh...no.

By the end of his age 21 season, Gretzky had 198 goals. And that doesn't include the 46 he had in the WHA.

Midway through his age 21 season, Stamkos has 149 goals. Somehow I doubt he's getting another 50 this year.

That takes nothing away from Stamkos, who has been amazing.

Steven Stamkos on hockeyreference.com

Wayne Gretzky on hockeyreference.com

Tabe
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Wings tied their franchise record with 15 straight home wins last night. Howard has been a stud this year.
  • Options
    Maybe he was referring to Jackie Gleason as "The Great One". In that case, then Stamkos does in fact have more goals at 21 than The Great One.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Wings tied their franchise record with 15 straight home wins last night. Howard has been a stud this year. >>

For sure. He's definitely rebounded this year after merely being "good" last year. The save he had early in the 1st period on Saturday against Chicago (on the puck that bounced over his stick right to a Hawks player) was just ridiculous.

Tabe
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>how good is STAMKOS?

wow,, kid is good >>

Uh...no.

By the end of his age 21 season, Gretzky had 198 goals. And that doesn't include the 46 he had in the WHA.

Midway through his age 21 season, Stamkos has 149 goals. Somehow I doubt he's getting another 50 this year.

That takes nothing away from Stamkos, who has been amazing.

Steven Stamkos on hockeyreference.com

Wayne Gretzky on hockeyreference.com

Tabe >>

that's great and all, but these scoring tallies do not take into account the large edge Stankos has in leaving his skates on hits without being penalized.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Laner is not a hockey fan he is a hockey complainer.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    I bleed orange and black.

Hello orioles93.

CPAMike, where do you play dek?
    I played in Philly (Tinicum/Family Fun Spot) from 83-97 and Waterbury (which may have burned down a few years ago) from 97-01. Marriage and kids ended my career. I wa a tournament level goalie. I still make saves in my sleep.
  • Options

<< <i>that's great and all, but these scoring tallies do not take into account the large edge Stankos has in leaving his skates on hits without being penalized. >>

Well, some things are just too difficult to quantify image

Tabe
  • Options
    yup
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    wee shall see.
    If u have 1/2 gretzky carear ur in the hof.

Yes big time HK fan.
    grew up lovin the flyers, red wings and Bobby Orr's Boston

And yes I lovvvve sidney so much talent
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leafs fan hereimage

I'm 53 years old and last time they won good ole Lord Stanley, I was 8 years old!!

I can barely remember watching it on our black and white TV, with a sometimes 'snowy' picture (old timers will know what this means).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Predators fan living here in Nashville.

Here's hoping they can keep Suter and Weber!image

• Options

<< <i>Predators fan living here in Nashville.

Here's hoping they can keep Suter and Weber!image >>

Either one would look good in a winged wheeled jersey. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Big hockey fan here. My two favorite teams are Team USA and Team Canada. Don't really root for any NHL team. My son
    loves the Blackhawks and Bruins. He plays for Team Comcast out of Pennsauken NJ, where Danny Briere, Keith Primeau, and Derian Hatcher coach.
  • Options
    Bruins fan from Boston here. Making the move to Texas soon, so I guess my Western Conference teams now comprise Calgary, Chicago and Dallas.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Here's hoping that one of them ends up in Philly...and soon! How about this deal Preds fan? JVR, Matt Carle and Bryzgalov for Suter and Pekka Rinne?? Sound good to you, I thought so! (Dreaming)
  • Options

<< <i>

Either one would look good in a winged wheeled jersey. MJ >>

With Lidstrom possibly retiring, and a ton of cap space, you can probably expect to see one or both of these guys in a Detroit uniform.

Tabe
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Either one would look good in a winged wheeled jersey. MJ >>

With Lidstrom possibly retiring, and a ton of cap space, you can probably expect to see one or both of these guys in a Detroit uniform.

Tabe >>

Weber is a restricted FA so he's likely not going anywhere at least next year. I'd say the chances of landing Suter would be feasible if he does indeed hit the market this summer. However, I also feel Holland would be enticed at the opportunity of signing Z. Parise if he also hits the market given his level of skill and being a near elite level defender. He would fit that system in Swedish Elite-land perfectly.
  • Options
    they ruined the sport when they took out fighting...
    i went to almost 300 games in the mid 70s to mid 80s...
    flyers of course...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Congrat's to Nick Lidstrom. 1550 games with the same team. An NHL record. Wings also win 20 straight at home tying a NHL record. Not too shabby in the salary cap era. The Wings are presently 17 million under the salary cap. They will spend up to every penny of that by the deadline. The good news is the Macdonald is playing well enough while Howard heals that none of it needs to be on a back up goalie.

I only wish the Wings could shake the Blues!

My best friend teaches the Lidstrom family tennis and my nephew plays against Draper's. Holstrom's and Lidstrom's kids. Draper's kid is sick. They are all visible and active in the community and the local rinks. That's the best thing about hockey players. Level headed.

This is a picture of Nick, Ozzie and me at the LAX luggage carousal the day after the Wings won there last cup. They were waiting on the Cup to come out and film Leno. MJ