Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Flight Medals

Got these medals commemorating flight/aviation "firsts". I thought it would be a cool side theme, yet these will be sold to converge back to the core set. I thought I would share though.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have long thought that medals from the early days of aviation might make an interesting theme. (Or sub-theme, as the case may be.)

And indeed they do here, with your recent postings. image

I've somewhat accidentally ended up owning a handful of such medals over the years. I think I posted my 1928 "Bremen" medal (struck for the first east-to-west transatlantic flight) in another one of your threads.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to just sell the LZ-126/USS Los Angeles medal to me. Dr. Eckerner was a fascinating personality, imbued himself with the powers that be in the USA to allow for the construction and operation of rigid airships once more in Germany. Of course the USS Los Angeles was part of the deal - coincidentally it was the only German built US Navy airship, and the only one of the four rigid airships that the US Navy had that did not end it's life in disaster. It flew operationally until 1932 when it was retired and then dismantled in 1939. The other airships, the USS Macon, USS Shenandoah, and the USS Akron all met disastrous ends in accidents. A couple of them, the Macon and the Akron were modified as airborne aircraft carriers and carried Boeing P-3 fighters.

Actually the Zeppelin airship theme has just become my new collecting pursuit - seriously.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have listed these four as one lot - PM me if interested in breaking up the set - I need to focus!

Ebay Link