Home Sports Talk
Options

Andrew Bailey to the Red Sox

I guess we now know who is taking Papelbon's place. I assume Bard will be the set-up man for Bailey. Not sure if this is an upgrade or downgrade.
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    There is talk of moving Bard to the rotation.

Bailey is a step-down from Papelbon, IMO. However, saving $8-9 million at the closer position outweighs whatever slight decrease in performance you might get from Bailey. I like the move.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Personally I think Bailey is an upgrade over Papelbon as long as he stays healthy. Like the rest of the A's he seems to be injured half the time. He's a little younger and a lot cheaper than Papelbon would be as well.

With this trade the A's are officially a minor league team, complete with a roster without a single player you've ever heard of. With division rivals the Angels breaking the bank for talent and the Mariners and Rangers trying to sign talent, this coming season will be one for the ages complete with 130 losses.

A's are plagerizing the plot of Major League by trying to get the team to suck so badly that league forces them to move to San Jose. I strongly support their attempt to move to San Jose but this isn't the way to go about it.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of bullpen roles such as set up or closer. I like the way managers used to do things (remember the 75-76 Reds?). Bring in the right guy from the pen for the right situation in the game. If the game is on the line in the sixth inning, bring in the guy who can shut the opponent down at that time...why keep your best in reserve when you might have lost the lead well before the ninth?

That being said, I think Bailey can help out the Sox bullpen if he is used wisely
  • Options
    The A's business philosophy is similar to the Ajax Amsterdam soccer club of Holland.

The philosophy is to scout young talent, draft them into their system, and then sell them
    off to the highest bidders.

I believe Andrew Bailey will suprise to the upside for the Red Sox. He will be closer to home. He was born
    and raised on the east coast, and the travel schedule may keep him healthier.

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    If he can maintain his health, Bailey is a solid closer, IMHO.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Solid closer and he was traded on the cheap. Reddick is still young and tough to evaluate the single A kids right now. Bailey and Melancon are young and under control for 3-4 years. Bard most likey will be a starter and Aceves will get the 7th inning role.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if Reddick ever learns to hit something other than a fastball, he will be awesome.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    It looks like the back end of the Sox bullpen is already set with Bailey, Aceves and Melancon. Wow!

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Would it make sense if I said Bailey is a step up from Papelbon and a step down from Bard?
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Only a month and a half till pitchers and catchers report for spring training. I can hardly wait!
  • Options

<< <i>Would it make sense if I said Bailey is a step up from Papelbon and a step down from Bard? >>

No, because Papelbon is better than Bard.
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like the back end of the Sox bullpen is already set with Bailey, Aceves and Melancon. Wow! >>

Where is Bard? I doubt he will be stretched out to start.
  • Options
    Bard is being stretched out to start.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Bard has plenty of time to get stretched out before the season begins.