Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Submitting individual Sports Illustrated For Kids cards for Grading

I know it sounds a little crazy, but is there a best way to do something like this? If I bought the entire back issue containing the card in question, exactly how should I go about extract that card in a condition most suitable for submission? Any suggestions? Is there any way that the perforations will not detract from the overall grade?

Comments

• mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I used a top notch paper cutter to cut the them out instead of pulling them apart. I have never submitted any of them, but they do look better.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Be sure to leave the perforations intact. Those experienced with these submissions will tell you carefully bending the card at the perforations then separating it is the way to go. Just make sure you don't bend it so much that if the perforation tabs start to turn white, it doesn't bleed past the border of the card itself, if that makes sense.
  • What Hammered said. It also depends on where the card is located on the page for how difficult it will be to extract if you have bought the entire issue. I did that with LT, and the card was located bottom closest to spine. It was not easy to separate the card.
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I appreciate all of this. I guess I wasn't sure if the edges impact the grade at all. One question for hammered--when you say "don't bend it so much", are you referring to the extent to which one is folding the card at the perforation? In other words, under normal circumstances, I would remove the card by merely folding it 180 degrees in one direction, than another 180 degrees in the other direction, and then pulling at the perforation. Are you suggesting to perhaps only fold it about 90 degrees or so, or to fold it 180 degrees but only one in one direction, before detaching?
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    So I used the technique of folding the sheet 90 degrees each direction then gently pulling the cards apart. I also placed the cards directly into the Card Saver I's WITHOUT a penny sleeve, in order to preserve the natural edges. I recently subbed these four cards, and here are the results:

MINT 9 1989 S.I. FOR KIDS 59 JERRY RICE
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1989 S.I. FOR KIDS 69 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    MINT 9 1993 SI FOR KIDS SERIES 2 153 WAYNE GRETZKY
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1993 SI FOR KIDS SERIES 2 168 NOLAN RYAN

Not bad if you ask me... at least they're not 5's! These grades tell me I'm doing it right, so I'll be subbing a few more that I have ready to go. You can see the large scans below. This thread was very helpful, and I hope we can add to it!

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I would really like to know how PSA grades these cards. I submitted quite a few Usain Bolt's and the grades ranged from EX 5 to MINT 9 but I could hardly make out any difference.