Home Precious Metals

Are my outsider observations correct?

Seems to me that the 25th ASE Ann. set values are dropping like a rock. That has something to do with Ag being down, but I thought these sets weren't tied so closely to Spot.
Just an observation...I don't and have not had any interest in them at all from day 1. It just seems from what I've seen the value is falling pretty quickly for something that was WAY over hyped imho.
Am I looking at this from the outside correctly?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• ding ...ding ...ding....thats why i dumped what i got ...i got screwed out of my last order but oh well sold some for a nice big profit..will buy them later at a much cheaper price
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems like the rock fell a couple weeks ago and has now settled into the sand. I expect current prices to hold and eventually start creeping back up once all the flippers have unloaded their booty.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Looks like recent sales are back up to $700-725.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Looks like recent sales are back up to $700-725.

I hope the guy on the BST appreciates me throwin him a bone...he's selling a Mercanti PCGS 69 set for $745.
    Wasn't long ago thesse were going for $1000-1100 and the 70 sets were around $1600. image
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo hoo, only 2.3x issue price today. Man that profit margin sucks for 2 months....image
    Boo hoo, only 2.3x issue price today. Man that profit margin sucks for 2 months

I'm sure there's plenty folks out there that bought a 70 set for $1600-1900 that wouldn't agree with that comment image
    I'm so glad I stayed away from that set when I got shut out day of issue. Had several opportunities to pick up a 70 set, but something just kept telling me no.
  • These sets are on a similar trajectory-though not perfectly matching-the 20th Ann sets...and before you claim I'm over-hyping the 25th also, consider the 20th sets still sell for anywhere from 3x to 4x mint issue...5 years after sell out. I see these very easily hitting 3x again, and the 2 keys becoming $500-$1,000 per coin, depending on disposition.

If you were glad you didn't get in after being closed out, my advice would be to get in now and not regret the 50% upside (or more) these will have. You won't get many opps like this in today's economy...

ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
    You won't get many opps like this in today's economy...

I don't know if you were/are one of the shtf subscribers, but if it does, I think I'll get it alot lower. My "silver is a dog" observation is holding true to pattern. If rising tide lifts all boats, what happens when the shtf and everything, no matter what it is or what it's supposed to represent, tanks?
    The overall indicies are in a downward drift, as has been the metals. So what happens when that drift turns into a freefall?
    shtf subscribers theories welcomed...

• << <i>I don't know if you were/are one of the shtf subscribers, but if it does, I think I'll get it alot lower. My "silver is a dog" observation is holding true to pattern. If rising tide lifts all boats, what happens when the shtf and everything, no matter what it is or what it's supposed to represent, tanks?
    The overall indicies are in a downward drift, as has been the metals. So what happens when that drift turns into a freefall?
    shtf subscribers theories welcomed... >>

If you're buying 25th sets as SHTF protection than you are mistaken. That's what straight bullion at melt or melt plus a couple percent is for. The 25th sets allow collectors/stackers possible numi-upside in the event the sky doesn't actually fall. Remember people were claiming we're near the end in the late 70s and in 2008, but yet here we are. As for the downward drift in prices on the 25th sets I think you need to look again as they've firmed up in the last week as raw sets and pcgs 70 key coins have started to move up off the lows IN SPITE of PM's declining this past week.

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    %95 are the 25th buyers are sore from constant smiling.

They sold at or near a long running top and Christmas was on the US Mint this year.

And if you could snag multiple 5 set boxes , you did VERY well image

Who cares where it goes now. Flipped and shipped and the leftovers are free to me.

Now if you chase little paper labels with subjective numbers on them.....who knows.

Loves me some shiny!
  • people who bought the 25th sets from the mint at $299 received a gift, to bad I was busy harvesting but still no excuse.

This past week I have purchased 3 sets in OGP the first was $625 and the next 2 were $600, I also worked a trade on a reverse proof in a PCGS first strike 69 holder and my investment in said coin is $75. I think that the OGP sets will sell for over $1,000 perhaps in the next year so getting a potential return of 60-70% on your money is much better than most other investments.
    If for some odd reason these sets languish where they are or drop down in price I will probably double down especially if they fall below $500. These sets simply have to many things going for them and all it will take is a promotion of the key coins or the sets to make them take off in price.

• << <i>You won't get many opps like this in today's economy...

I don't know if you were/are one of the shtf subscribers, but if it does, I think I'll get it alot lower. My "silver is a dog" observation is holding true to pattern. If rising tide lifts all boats, what happens when the shtf and everything, no matter what it is or what it's supposed to represent, tanks?
    shtf subscribers theories welcomed... >>

I wouldn't be so quick to crow about your silver is a dog observation, in the short term yes you hit the nail on the head but in the long term I seriously doubt silver will be a dog in fact you may be shocked at how high it goes. I am not making a prediction of how high silver will go but I have been playing this game for over 30 years and I can tell you that everything cycles through and we have not hit the top of the mountain for silver.

We also have not hit the bottom of corruption in fiat money and those who manage it. I am not saying for sure this will happen but the recent events at MF global surely give me serious doubts about the financial markets.
    If you're buying 25th sets as SHTF protection than you are mistaken
    Dude...you missed the whole point of what i was saying. Maybe a re-read from the beginning would help?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do sorta buy for shtf and I never buy for a quick flip. I invest and then I manage. The unopened box I managed to snag is not going anywhere, but it's worth more than twice as much as when I bought it. Not bad, in the scheme of things.

Prices are down on these ASE Anniversary coins, but I'm a picky buyer right now. I don't have to hit the rock bottom to know a good longterm deal.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • The keys at least have stabilized out. I consider these prices to be pretty good, but I am always a deal hunter and I've been having a hard time finding any that are currently "dropping like a rock."
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems to me that the 25th ASE Ann. set values are dropping like a rock. That has something to do with Au being down, but I thought these sets weren't tied so closely to Spot. >>

I don't believe that they are, or will be. Most of the drop in price on these sets happened shortly before xmas, probably as people were spending money on other gifts/things rather than these sets. I don't think they will continue to drop after the very recent spot price dip. If anything, like others have pointed out, I think these sets are starting to rebound upward. I still have my sealed box of 5, but am looking into getting an opened one (or PCGS/NGC 69) for myself at these prices. Problem is that I am in Canada and there's actually very, very few of the 25th anniv. sets offered on ebay.ca. Many of the ones that are, are from sellers in the USA wanting $50+ to ship a set in the OGP.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Still holding my 4+1 unopened.
    Don't need the Cash right now so will wait-n-see what happens with the pricing these.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    ? to the OP....why do you think gold's price would have an influence on the 25th silver set's aftermarket price?? unless you used your bathroom pass during the quiz on the Periodic Table in HS....image j/k
    ? to the OP....why do you think gold's price would have an influence on the 25th silver set's aftermarket price?? unless you used your bathroom pass during the quiz on the Periodic Table in HS.... j/k

That's it, pick it apart, right on cue lol. image Noted and changed...thanks
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i'm sure it's happened to me a few times, too!