Home Precious Metals
Options

anyone know where i can buy some physical rhodium bullion

i just want to pick up maybe a oz or so but cant find it anywhere for sale ...i want to buy as close to spot as i can ...
POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut

Comments

• Options
    in the past there has been a mint selling rounds on ebay
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • Options
    yea i saw them they are grams but it = like 5000 a oz im not looking to spend 5gs's on something worth 1350 i just wasnt sure if anyone sold close to spot i dont care if its jewelry just want some
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kitco sells rhodium sponge and only the one ounce size is available for US delivery(Kitco is a Canadian outfit).

Kitco products

kitco also sells rhodium in their pool accounts (check their website for pool account info). Normally with their pool account they keep possession of the metals which makes it easy for a quick turnaround in selling. They do however offer delivery of pool account assets for a fee. One thing about taking possession of rhodium is being able to provide your eventual buyer with satisfactory proof that he is getting rhodium from you. Not quite the same as selling a gold eagle which is universally accepted. If you are looking for a rhodium investment you might consider the kitco pool account with them holding your rhodium. I have used the pool account successfully for quick buys and sells of gold, silver and paladium without taking possession.

Kitco is offering one ounces with US delivery in their pool account

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    thanks derryb i will look into this what is a sponge ...it just shows a bottle
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
  • Options

<< <i>thanks derryb i will look into this what is a sponge ...it just shows a bottle >>

"sponge" is rhodium powder

see if this helps

If looking for a rhodium investment, I recommend the pool account. Their metals are held outside of the US (Canada) which does offer a bit more safety. Nice thing about the pool account is no shipping, no storage, no finding a buyer (kitco buys it right back at current buy price, check their buy/sell spread). Easiest way I know of to buy and sell physical without the hassles of taking possession. If it were common metal like American Eagles, I would strongly recommend possession. The nature of the rhodium market tells me the pool account is your best play.

Kitco is highly respected in the commercial metals market.

• Options
    while rhodium is way down and appears to be a good buy, it is 90% dependent on the automobilie industry (catalytic converters). Before I invested in rhodium I would have to expect a decent recovery in automobile manufacturing. I don't see it any time soon during this global recession.

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Actually any high quality connector will be plated with Rhodium, all the mil-spec stuff is.
  • Options
    spent 20 years as a navy civilian nuc electrical inspector. All of our critical reactor plant electrical pin connectors were gold plated, did some of the plating in my early years as a mechanic. Can't say I ever saw a rhodium application in the nuc program.

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>spent 20 years as a navy civilian nuc electrical inspector. All of our critical reactor plant electrical pin connectors were gold plated, did some of the plating in my early years as a mechanic. Can't say I ever saw a rhodium application in the nuc program. >>

I made printer circuit boards and was electroplate for 5 years during collage for Graphic Electronics which made missiles. You silk screen the circuit boards, copper plate the circuits/lands, then it goes to the Rhodium tank to plate and then it's gold plated. No BS, high quality connections always had Rhodium.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One ounce rhodium coins available, but a HUGE premium......

Rhodium
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>spent 20 years as a navy civilian nuc electrical inspector. All of our critical reactor plant electrical pin connectors were gold plated, did some of the plating in my early years as a mechanic. Can't say I ever saw a rhodium application in the nuc program. >>

I made printer circuit boards and was electroplate for 5 years during collage for Graphic Electronics which made missiles. You silk screen the circuit boards, copper plate the circuits/lands, then it goes to the Rhodium tank to plate and then it's gold plated. No BS, high quality connections always had Rhodium. >>

not doubting you, just saying I never came across it in the high quality mil-spec stuff I dealt with. Then again, I'm talking electrical connections you are talking electronics. Could be the larger size doesn't warrant the higher rhodium cost when gold is an excellent conductor as well.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Rhodium scares me. Actually, it's mostly just the huge bid/ask spread that scares me. It looks like they (Kitco) are really trying to discourage people from selling since the massive sell off not all that long ago.

Edit: just checked out kitco again for the sake of completeness. Looks like the spread is lower, but still very high. Currently $100 (7.4%) between the bid and ask prices ($1450/$1350) for unallocated pool rhodium. In contrast, gold is just a 1.3% spread, silver 2.4%. The gold/silver spreads are higher percentage wise than I recall from a couple years ago.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>One ounce rhodium coins available, but a HUGE premium......

Rhodium >>

I have looked into this... The Cohen Mint is one of (or the) most untrustworthy sources. I would give you a page or two of reasons, but I'll just say that they are rated F by BBB.
  • Options
    Found this site.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of paper metals, however Rhodium is the one metal I would only want in paper. I think it would be very hard to sell, especially if it starts tanking, as a physical metal. It sat at $2k for a while after 2008, but has slowly been losing the past few months. But what do I know? image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not a fan of paper metals, however Rhodium is the one metal I would only want in paper. I think it would be very hard to sell, especially if it starts tanking, as a physical metal. It sat at $2k for a while after 2008, but has slowly been losing the past few months. But what do I know? image >>

Yes, but that $10K pop in early 2008 (before everything crashed) was a money maker for those that cashed in.

• Options

<< <i>Kitco is highly respected in the commercial metals market. >>

True, but they are also facing serious tax problems in Canada. Revenue Quebec *raided their office* in June of this year image! Personally I prefer to have my metals in hand, but if I were to play paper I would look for a source other than Kitco simply due to the fact they're not in the US and they're facing serious tax related issues in their home country. DYODD of course, but personally I'll pass on pool accounts with companies that have been raided by the tax man in recent months... image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Kitco is highly respected in the commercial metals market. >>

True, but they are also facing serious tax problems in Canada. Revenue Quebec *raided their office* in June of this year image! Personally I prefer to have my metals in hand, but if I were to play paper I would look for a source other than Kitco simply due to the fact they're not in the US and they're facing serious tax related issues in their home country. DYODD of course, but personally I'll pass on pool accounts with companies that have been raided by the tax man in recent months... image >>

Kitco was buying scrap gold, paying the sales tax to the sellers (local jewelry firms or small gold dealers) then legitimately reclaiming the sales tax paid. Since Kitco was selling bullion, they were not obliged to charge sales tax on their sales. Therefore they were legitimately receiving large tax rebates on a regular basis – something governments obviously hate! All this is quite legal and normal, but it seems that the sellers of the scrap gold simply disappeared, instead of handing over the sales tax to the government as they were supposed to. This means that on one hand the Candian government was not receiving the tax from the sellers who collected it from Kitco, while Kitco was being paid its legitimate tax rebates. It appears Kitco was raided to (1) confiscate records on who was selling Kitco scrap gold, collecting sales tax from Kitco on the sale and then not reporting to Revenu Quebec and (2) determine if Kitco was in on the jig. It appears that Kitco was playing by the rules and probably made the mistake of expecting the government to play by the rules. Since the raid, Kitco nor it's employees have been charged with any wrongdoing. Kitco continues to be highly respected in the commercial metals market.

Physical, in your possession, is the safest way to build and keep your stack. But, it you want to also benefit from quick, easy speculative trades in PMs, paper is much easier to buy and to sell. If you have to trust someone else with your metal my first suggestion is someone outside the US and someone like Kitco. The OP was about rhodium; finding buyers for rhodium is even harder than finding sellers. The pool account at Kitco is ideal for trading an exotic such as rhodium. The key to success with any paper account is to monitor it and to not use it for long term accumulation. Use it to build profits. Use those profits to build your physical stack.

• Options
    Kitco?
    ROFLMAO
    After being investigated for fraud I wouldnt trust them.
    Plus the run on their pool accounts. And who knows the purity of the rhodium sponge.
    If the sellers "disappeared" its considered fraud...
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Who is going to buy your $10,000 oz Cohen Mint coin?

Nobody. Rhodium has a tiny buy market.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is going to buy your $10,000 oz Cohen Mint coin?

Nobody. Rhodium has a tiny buy market. >>

Agree---it's an industrial metal and industry buys it from their regular suppliers rather than someone off the street.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Kitco?
    ROFLMAO
    Plus the run on their pool accounts. And who knows the purity of the rhodium sponge.
    If the sellers "disappeared" its considered fraud... >>

Stick with dollars, there's no question of their purity. image
    I'll continue to profit with kitco pool account short term trades and continue to convert those profits into long term physical holdings. Beats the heck out of buying one ounce a month with what's left over after payday. Since kitco's "raid" in June, I've picked up an extra 3 monster boxes of ASEs on pool account profits alone. Reward requires risk. Short term paper can be a good thing for those that play it correctly and carefully monitor markets.

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    The original poster didn't say exactly why he wanted an oz of Rhodium. What's the reason, please? Is it maybe to try getting a collection of rounds or bars of various rare metals, just to have them as examples? Such as Iridium, Osmium, and Rhodium, to name only a few? For possible comparison side-by-side? Sort of like wood samples from different species of trees? If so, I've had that thought myself in the past, but was unable to find suppliers at anything close to a reasonable price for many of the rarer metals. Numerous complaints have been posted about the Cohen Mint and its Rhodium products, I'd be very cautious about dealing with them, if they are still in business. I agree with derryb that Kitco is trustworthy and reliable, but that doesn't mean you'll get a decent deal with Rhodium. Their Rhodium "investments" have terrible conditions attached to them, aside from the fact you won't have the physical metal for show-'n-tell. When they first started offering Rhodium investments a couple years ago, the spot price for Rhodium was just under $3000. Then as already mentioned by Pokermandude, you lose an outlandish percentage on the buy-sell spread. If they hold it for you, you are charged storage fees. If you take delivery, it's in a granulated "sponge" form, not a piece of metal you can look at and compare with others. If you then sell back to them them, it's at an even lower price than if they held it for you, and they charge you a major fee for assay, plus there are delivery costs. I'd say forget about that. The market niche for fairly reasonable bars or rounds of many of the rare metals has not yet been filled. Well-capitalized entrepreneurs needed.
  • Options
    there are no storage fees with kitco's pool account. It's strictly a paper play on the price of metal. If the OP thinks rhodium is going up in price any time soon, then this is the cheapest and easiest way for him to make the play. As I said earlier, the pool account is not for building your stack, it is for profiting in short term price movements with the least amount of expense.

• Options

<< <i>there are no storage fees with kitco's pool account. It's strictly a paper play on the price of metal. If the OP thinks rhodium is going up in price any time soon, then this is the cheapest and easiest way for him to make the play. As I said earlier, the pool account is not for building your stack, it is for profiting in short term price movements with the least amount of expense. >>

The OP said in the thread title he wanted physical.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll continue to profit with kitco pool account short term trades and continue to convert those profits into long term physical holdings. Beats the heck out of buying one ounce a month with what's left over after payday. >>

Fair enough... The 'real' money to be made in PMs is certainly in the paper market, but for every successful trader such as yourself there are several more losing their shirt image. Admittedly I've made a few bucks trading in and out of SLW, but I've also been wrong enough times to realize that the paper game isn't for me given my limited finances.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>there are no storage fees with kitco's pool account. It's strictly a paper play on the price of metal. If the OP thinks rhodium is going up in price any time soon, then this is the cheapest and easiest way for him to make the play. As I said earlier, the pool account is not for building your stack, it is for profiting in short term price movements with the least amount of expense. >>

The OP said in the thread title he wanted physical. >>

and he was immediatly told where to buy physical. He failed to say why he was buying physical. In the event he was doing it as an investment to later sell, he was presented an alternative and what I think is a quicker and cheaper way to do so. I would have done the same for you. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The OP said in the thread title he wanted physical. >>

and he was immediatly told where to buy physical. He failed to say why he was buying physical. In the event he was doing it as an investment to later sell, he was presented an alternative and what I think is a quicker and cheaper way to do so. I would have done the same for you. image >>

You're certainly right about that part, no cost-effective physical option is available right now. Either overpay, or paper play.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Kitco?
    ROFLMAO

I'll continue to profit with kitco pool account short term trades and continue to convert those profits into long term physical holdings. Beats the heck out of buying one ounce a month with what's left over after payday. Since kitco's "raid" in June, I've picked up an extra 3 monster boxes of ASEs on pool account profits alone. Reward requires risk. Short term paper can be a good thing for those that play it correctly and carefully monitor markets. >>

Im Pretty sure that aint profit. 500 ozs x3 = 1500 ozs
    With a loss of $10 in spot since the fraud investigation has begun
    1500 ozs x -$10 = -$15000

Mehh kitco is a sham and its well known. $100+ million plus fraud and a run on their pool accounts, theyll never be top dog again.
    If you had invested that money into FB stock back in june you would be up 500%!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Kitco?
    ROFLMAO

I'll continue to profit with kitco pool account short term trades and continue to convert those profits into long term physical holdings. Beats the heck out of buying one ounce a month with what's left over after payday. Since kitco's "raid" in June, I've picked up an extra 3 monster boxes of ASEs on pool account profits alone. Reward requires risk. Short term paper can be a good thing for those that play it correctly and carefully monitor markets. >>

Im Pretty sure that aint profit. 500 ozs x3 = 1500 ozs
    With a loss of $10 in spot since the fraud investigation has begun
    1500 ozs x -$10 = -$15000

Mehh kitco is a sham and its well known. $100+ million plus fraud and a run on their pool accounts, theyll never be top dog again.
    If you had invested that money into FB stock back in june you would be up 500%!!! >>

I'm pretty sure you called me a liar, but that's OK, I've been called much worse by much better.

Yes, I picked up 1500 ASEs (and other things) with profits from kitco pool trading since June. You forget kitco pool accounts trade other metals and that all metals move both up and down providing profit opportunites for those that don't just buy and hold. Additionally, you have no knowledge of the amounts I'm trading. Also, if Kitco were the scam you claim it to be I seriously doubt they would still be in business after going through a thorough investigation by Canadian tax authorities who would love nothing more than to shut down a precious metals dealer who also gets a nice tax rebate check every year.

I would almost suspect you are employed by one of their competitors. image

• Options
    since rhodium demand is 90% dependent upon automobile manufacturing:

a good reason to shy away from rhodium