Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

WTB: Cal Ripken Jr. Jersey Framing Project **PICS** (Completed on 01/02/15)

**COMPLETE** See the final product on the MAIN FORUM, thanks!

I'm looking for inexpensive Cal Ripken Jr. GU Jersey cards that are only grey in color. I'm not looking for color patches, dual players, combo cards or autos.

THE REASON: I have a grey autographed Ripken jersey (a birthday gift from my Father) that I would like to frame, and I want to display the jersey with grey GU jersey cards surrounding the jersey. I will have the mat professionally cut, but I will be framing it myself. This is a fun little project that I've been working on for a few months, and now I'm looking for a little help from my friends on this forum. I got the idea from a fellow board member, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was. **I have estimated that I will need (30) jersey cards to complete my task.**

I will be updating this thread as my project progresses. THANK YOU for reading! image

==================================================================================

The (40"w X 48"h) framed layout will look something like this (black or dark grey cut mat, orange mat background):

Frame: Cook's Art Supplies (North Canton, Ohio), 40" x 48" silver metal frame, cost $120
Black Cut Mat: 40" x 48", cost $160
Orange Backer Mat: 40" x 48", cost $46
Museum Glass: 40" x 48", cost $63
Hardboard Backer Board: 40" x 48", cost $14.25
Card Holders: bought (50) Pro-Mold 120pt Real Thick Card Mini-Snap Tite Holders, cost $36

Preliminary Sketch:

The Real Deal Holyfield:

The Final Product!!

This thing is MASSIVE!! It weighs 40 pounds!! lol

==================================================================================

This is the signed jersey that I own:

Going to TRY to spell R-I-P-K-E-N in the top six spaces above the jersey! These are the 2009 Topps Legendary Letters that I have so far:

($50.00)

($40.00)

($27.00)

($31.74)

($57.38)

($35.00)

Countdown to 36 cards:

Need (20) Landscape: I have (20) image
Need (10) Portrait: I have (10) image
Need (6) Letters: I have (6) image

These are the jersey cards that I have right now (with shipped price paid):

2000 Fleer Showcase - Feel The Game ($7.07)

2000 Invincible - Game Used Gear ($7.25)

2001 Donruss Studio - Diamond collection ($8.62)

2001 EX - Behind the Numbers (10.62)

2001 Fleer - Final Cut ($7.61)

2001 Fleer Premium - Material Issue ($12.49)

2001 Fleer Tradition - Turn Back the Clock ($9.95)

2001 SP Authentic - Cooperstown Calling ($12.98)

2001 SP Game Used Edition - Authentic Fabric ($6.50)

2001 Topps Gold Label - MLB Award Ceremony Relics ($10.00)

2002 UD Piece of History - The MVP Club ($7.62)

2003 Fleer Rookies & Greats - Boyhood Idols ($10.00)

2003 Fleer Rookies & Greats - The Naturals ($5.80)

2003 Leaf - Away Jersey ($7.25)

2003 Leaf Certified - Fabric of the Game ($10.15)

2003 Topps - World Series Tribute Relic ($11.62)

2004 Donruss Timelines - Boys of Summer ($8.66)

2004 Fleer Greats of the Game - Glory of Their Time ($10.00)

2004 Leaf - Players Collection ($12.80)

2005 SP Legendary Cuts - Classic Careers ($9.99)

2005 SP Legendary Cuts - Glory Days ($7.55)

2005 SP Legendary Cuts - Legendary Lineage ($7.55)

2005 UD Reflections - Fabric Reflections ($12.95)

2006 UD Epic - Materials ($10.01)

2007 SP Legendary Cuts - Masterful Material ($5.03)

2007 UD Ultimate Collection - Star Materials ($5.82)

2008 Donruss - Threads (from PC)

2008 SP Legendary Cuts - Legendary Memorabilia ($10.25)

2008 UD Sweet Spot - Sweet Swatch Memorabilia ($6.50)

2009 UD Icons - Legendary Icons ($12.99)

Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet looking jersey & cards Jeff! I wish you the best with this project..........

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    That will look great Jeff!
  • Options
    Sweet project, Can't wait to see how it looks when your finished! Good Luck
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    THAT is going to look AWESOME! Best of luck and keep us informed as to your progress.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jeff, thats a cool idea, sorry i can't help but would love to see it when done..
  • Options
    This is a fantastic idea!

SO cool that as 2011 comes to an end, people are still coming up with fresh ideas!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind words. I'm pretty excited with today's purchases, I've picked up four more, plus found one that I didn't know I had in my personal collection! lol

hhmag70 helped me discover checkoutmycards.com. I have heard of them only from seeing their watermark on their scans, but it had never occurred to me to look on there for jersey cards, or any other Ripken cards for that matter. It's a pretty cool site, and there are deals to be had. I've already purchased two cards from there, and have offers on four others. Pretty cool!
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Awesome idea. I think you might have inspired me to do a similar project with my Texas Longhorn game used jersey cards. Maybe I will do mine on the national championship team of 2005.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    Updated! Wow I've gone from only having (13) on Tuesday morning to having (24) this afternoon! image

As of right now I have (13) cards that are "Landscape" and (11) cards that are "Portrait". So as it stands right now, I need (7) more Landscape, and (5) more Portrait.

This is actually working out!! image
  • Options
    BUMP with updates! I've been really cruising along now that I've finally gotten serious about this project!

All I need is (7) more Landscape, and (5) more Portrait cards!

I've also added the idea of replacing (6) of the Portrait cards at the top with the 2009 Topps Legendary Letters Commemorative Patch cards (#'d/50). I just picked up the "P" and "N". If anyone has the remaining letters or know where I can find them, I would greatly appreciate it!

WOOOOHOOOO!! image
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see the end result. I like the RIPKEN cards at the top. Great idea.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Great project!

As someone who does lots of framing (with some mats cut professionally and some cut myself), I have 2 comments;
    I really hope you have priced out the mat cost already, or know someone who can give you a hell of a discount. Most of the shops around here charge $5per hole for mat cutting. Since your double matting, the 36 holes count as 72. 74x$5 = $370 plus the mat cost.
    Also, how big is this thing going to be? I have had a very tough time finding matting bigger than 32x40.

Jeffrey

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Jeff, Like your idea on spelling out RIPKEN with the patches Alot.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    cant wait to see the finished product

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>Great project!

As someone who does lots of framing (with some mats cut professionally and some cut myself), I have 2 comments;
    I really hope you have priced out the mat cost already, or know someone who can give you a hell of a discount. Most of the shops around here charge $5per hole for mat cutting. Since your double matting, the 36 holes count as 72. 74x$5 = $370 plus the mat cost.
    Also, how big is this thing going to be? I have had a very tough time finding matting bigger than 32x40.

Jeffrey >>

Great questions! This was laid out to 48" x 48", but your question prompted me to go talk to my mat-cutter-guy. He's done custom stuff for me before, and he always has the best prices by far. He only charges $2 per hole (where everyone else is $5/$6 per hole), and he can cut up to 40" x 60". He also cuts it digitally, so all measurements are exact. I had to change my design a little to accommodate the size constraints but I think I can still pull it off (will post new layout tonight). I will have to fold the sleeves differently, and make some of the cards on the side portrait instead of landscape, but it will work. Before the jersey measured 35"w x 35"h, but the way I'm folding the sleeves now, it will be about 30"w x 35"h.

This project has cost me a few hours of sleep lately, so I may need to back of a little, for sanity purposes. image
  • Options
    Okey-dokey.... I've re-updated the layout again (see original post) in order to stay within the parameters of my mat-cutter's abilities. He can cut a 40" x 60" piece, while not going closer than 1-1/2" from any edge of the mat. Just to be sure, I'm giving him a 1-3/4" gap from the edge, and making the overall mat dimension 40"w X 48"h.

This leaves me with needing (20) landscape cards, and (16) portrait cards.

At this moment, I have (18) landscape cards, and (11) portrait cards.

If/when I complete the R-I-P-K-E-N letters at the top, that will make my required number of portrait cards (10) instead of (16). In the meantime, I will fill those spots with regular jersey cards.

I have several landscape jersey cards in my "watch list", so at this point I'm no longer worried about filling those last two spots. My main goal now is to fulfill my letters at the top.

GOOD TIMES!! image
  • Options
    Updated the scans!

I still need the letters R, I, K, E in the 2009 Topps Legendary Letters Commemorative Patch set. Any help with this would be HUGE!

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    What's the status of this? Would love to see it.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Unfortunately it's exactly where I left it in January... I think I've set the bar a bit too high with wanting to spell "R-I-P-K-E-N" at the top. I still have the P and N, but I haven't seen ANY other letters, and I literally check ebay and COMC every day. An "N" just sold on ebay yesterday for $52.98, and now there's a "P" newly listed today. That's the most action I've seen with these in months. Not only that, the "N" that sold yesterday was for $20 more than I paid for each of my letters. That's a scary thought! I would have loved to been able to go to the National to look for these, but it just wasn't in the cards. (punny)

Long story short, I'm waiting on buying the framing material until I have everything I need. A big part of me wants to go forward with everything, and replace the top six cards once I get all of the letters. We'll see.

It's funny, I just dug up this thread earlier today because I wanted to make sure I didn't need the "P". image

Thanks for checking in!
  • Options
    Thanks Doug, I appreciate that.

After spending some time in my cousin's INSANE man cave in Baltimore (lots of Ravens/Orioles/Caps stuff), it's starting to get me motivated to get this thing done!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jeff ... you got us rooting for you with this project when you first posted ... GO FOR IT and keep us updated. It is such a great idea and will be a 1 of 1 when complete. GOOD LUCK. (Still have your uncle and your family in my prayers.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.