Home Precious Metals
Options

For anyone buying bullion Gold Eagles . . .

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
I added up typical recent prices realized for all 4 sizes on eBay (around $3325), and found out that for just a few bucks more ($3400.50), you can buy a 4-coin 2011 Gold Eagle proof set directly from the Mint. A much better value, in my opinion.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your ebay price works out to 1797 an ounce - $200 an ounce over spot and way too much to pay for the four coins raw. Apmex is selling the four coins individually for a total that is $100 less than your ebay total, still too much to pay. I believe the coins can be had on ebay for less if one is willing to be patient and wait for the right listings.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eBay prices included shipping, which may account for some of the $100 difference. I believe the Mint still charges a flat $4.95 for shipping, regardless of the size of the order.

The proofs occasionally develop a significant premium to the bullion coins, so I think the proof Gold Eagle set is still a better buy at the current small premium. (By comparison, proof Silver Eagles are currently selling for a premium of over 100% to spot.)

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.The proofs occasionally develop a significant premium to the bullion coins, so I think the proof Gold Eagle set is still a better buy at the current small premium. (By comparison, proof Silver Eagles are currently selling for a premium of over 100% to spot.) >>

It's the same with MS63-64 Saints vs. MS63-64 Morgans. While the Saints are logically the much better deal with respect to spot (10-15% premium), the Morgans at $50-$75 per coin (70-160% premium to spot) are still not a whole lot of money compared to a $1700 $20 gold piece. In either case you still have one coin with about the same collectability/eye appeal.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold