Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1996 mirror golds

do the 1996 select mirror golds have clear protective coating? I think they do but not 100% sure can anybody confirm it thanks

Comments

• Options
    I busted two boxes of 1996 and two of 1997 and didn't receive a gold in either. So I'm no help. haha. I'll be purchasing the singles from now on for those.
  • Options
    Yes they do. If you are going to peel, be very careful not to bend the card. The coating is not easy to pull off.
  • Options
    I peeled alot of 96 Certified football before sending them in for grading to PSA. They are B-EA-utiful once peeled. just dont touch em.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
  • Options
    i have a 1996 mirror gold cal ripken and it looks like it has a clear protective coating but was not sure. so whats the best way to remove the coating? Should i take the coating off before sending to get graded
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Ohhh I'd like to see a scan of that! image
  • Options

<< <i>i have a 1996 mirror gold cal ripken and it looks like it has a clear protective coating but was not sure. so whats the best way to remove the coating? Should i take the coating off before sending to get graded >>

I kinds thumbed the edge of the card downward a little about a 1/4 inch in from the corner. Be gentle, if it doesn't want to come up try another edge. This is how I did it, it not a fool proof.
  • Options
    OMG!!!! I just checked the ebay to see what some 96 mirror golds sold for. PSA 10 Ivan Rodriguez sold for $1375.00. how hard are these to get in PSA 10? Saw a raw Gwynn go for For $370.00. raw Jim Thome $228.00 and BGS 9 Randy Johnson for for $238.00. I think it is safe to say the 96 mirror golds are worth wayyyyyyyyyyyy more then the 93 refractors. I think I saw a jeter PSA 10 a few months back on ebay what did that go for?
  • Options
    what if i put a piece of tape on the corner and pulll the tape back do you think that would pull up the coating on the card?
  • Options
    It appears that there are only 30 Mirror Golds per card, even though they aren't serial numbered. There has been one Ripken graded by PSA, and it's a 9. Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>what if i put a piece of tape on the corner and pulll the tape back do you think that would pull up the coating on the card? >>

This just dont sound like a good idea.
  • Options

<< <i>It appears that there are only 30 Mirror Golds per card, even though they aren't serial numbered. There has been one Ripken graded by PSA, and it's a 9. Good luck! >>

No, 30 sets were produced. That means one of the cards has only 30 copies out there. Some players like Richard Hildalgo had many more than 30 cards produced. We will probably never know the actually print run of every card, but I would love to see it.
  • Options
    I am guessing they are the most expensive modern cards that exsist? I think that Jeter PSA 10 sold for over $6,000.00. what would the ripken be worth raw? graded 9? and graded 10?I am guessing $1500 raw, 2500 PSA 9 and $4000 in PSA 10
  • Options
    You may be right, I was only going by what BaseballCardPedia said.

All 144 base cards are available in the following parallels.
    Certified Red
    Certified Blue
    Artist's Proof (limited to 500 copies)
    Mirror Red (limited to 90 copies)
    Mirror Blue (limited to 45 copies)
    Mirror Gold (limited to 30 copies)
    Although the cards are not serial-numbered, many collector's believe that the announced production figures are accurate.
  • Options
    i want to take the coating off as there is some light scraching on it and some small bubbles. I just dont want do anything to hurt that card
  • Options
    I am willing to bet there is not one complete set known to exsist there could be but if there was it would sell for well over 100k even raw. if you had a set in 9 and 10 over 250k
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It appears that there are only 30 Mirror Golds per card, even though they aren't serial numbered. There has been one Ripken graded by PSA, and it's a 9. Good luck! >>

No, 30 sets were produced. That means one of the cards has only 30 copies out there. Some players like Richard Hildalgo had many more than 30 cards produced. We will probably never know the actually print run of every card, but I would love to see it. >>

You are thinking of the 1997 set. The 1996 set was indeed limited to 30 copies per card. The 1997 set was never given an established print run, so folks assumed it was the same as the '96s...until collectors started showing off 60 card collections of a single player, like Hidalgo.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I am guessing they are the most expensive modern cards that exsist? I think that Jeter PSA 10 sold for over $6,000.00. what would the ripken be worth raw? graded 9? and graded 10?I am guessing $1500 raw, 2500 PSA 9 and $4000 in PSA 10

You'r getting a little ahead of yourself. That Irod sale was an anomaly; an insane buy it now and the one person in the world willing to pay that much pulls the trigger (also it was for a PSA 10 AND another raw Irod). The Jeter that's been on ebay has been a BGS 9 and the guy's had it up for over 6 months and still hasn't sold it. The Ripken registry guys aren't paying strong prices like they used to. I'd guess you'd be looking at about $600 for raw, $800 for PSA 9 and $1500 for PSA 10. Griffey and Jeter are probably the top two prices, my guess is somewhere around 3k each for a PSA 10.

To take the coating off you need to roll your fingertip on the border (I'd avoid doing it near a corner) until the peel comes up a little, then you can grab it and peel it off.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't the protective coatings have printing on them? If the coating is still on the card wouldn't be very obvious.
    James
  • Options
    no the 96 baseball mirror golds dont anything that says their is a coaiting but there is a clear protective coating on it
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't the protective coatings have printing on them? If the coating is still on the card wouldn't be very obvious.
    James >>

The printing on the coating didn't start till 97.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, 30 sets were produced. That means one of the cards has only 30 copies out there. Some players like Richard Hildalgo had many more than 30 cards produced. We will probably never know the actually print run of every card, but I would love to see it. >>

You are thinking of the 1997 set. The 1996 set was indeed limited to 30 copies per card. The 1997 set was never given an established print run, so folks assumed it was the same as the '96s...until collectors started showing off 60 card collections of a single player, like Hidalgo. >>

I opened a case of 96 certified baseball. I had some issues with some of the cards and their quality. I returned them for replacement, when I got them back, they sent me a mirror golds that I didnt send in. A letter said it was to make up for the problems i had.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    prthd makes a good point- the one thing that Score did that was great for collectors was they routinely gave back inserts as replacement cards for damaged commons/base cards that were sent in. There were plenty of Mirrors given out as replacement cards, as well as backdoored. I'm guessing these were printed outside the stated print run, so there are likely more than 30 of at least some of the cards that were printed.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I was the benefactor of Pinnacle/Score on several occasions, I understand what you're saying; however, I've never seen any evidence that some players were produced in higher quantities than others, nor have I seen any large '96 Mirror Gold stashes to suggest this. If this is the case, I'd like to see the evidence.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I have never seen a Griffey for sale in probably 8 years of checking Griffey daily. I may have missed
    one or 2 but I don't remember ever seeing one. I assume a raw one would be in the 800-1000 range
    but that's purely a guess......
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeter

Seems like a strong price to me.

• Options
    i am putting together a 96-97 mirror gold hockey set...they are beautiful cards. i am leaving the coating on the cards. please let me know if anyone has any to get rid of. thanks!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Mirror Gold card, pretty sharp looking. I'm sticking to the 1995 ones though, a lot cheaper.