Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Numismatic Christmas Presents

I thought it might be worth starting a thread for anyone who got a numismatic gift this Christmas.

I was lucky enough to get two! The first is a book "Os Recunhos de 960 reis" or "The 960 reis Overstrikes".  This is THE book on the Brazilian 960R overstrikes.  Better still the book is signed by the author and includes a personal greeting to me!  

The second gift completely surprised me.  It's a half dollar of the British Virgin Islands, which is counterstamped with "TORTOLA" on a cut portion of a Mexican 1778 8 reales.  These were counterstruck in 1801 and had a local currency value of 4s, 1 and 1/2d.  I've wanted a counterstamped 8 reales for a while and when I saw this piece in a Downies catalogue in October I said to my partner "I'd climb over my dead mother to get my hands on one of these".  Of course I'd forgotten saying that and forgotten the coin until today when my lovely partner surprised me with it.  I am delighted!.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments