Home Sports Talk
Options

Thank You Lions!!!

Thank you Lions for actually showing up in a big game against a good opponent!!

Comments

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Chargers suck.
  • Options
    Was another solid showing. Stafford continues to improve. Good game and happy that they're headed to the playoffs.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stafford is not too shabby for a 23 year old. That was an enjoyable game. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chargers suck.

How bad does that make the Bucs?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I'm happy for the true Lions fans.

I am not one, so it was cigarette-butt-in-a-beer-cup moment for me. image
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options

<< <i>Stafford is not too shabby for a 23 year old. That was an enjoyable game. MJ >>

For his first full season of playing, he's shown a lot of promise.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Stafford is not too shabby for a 23 year old. That was an enjoyable game. MJ >>

For his first full season of playing, he's shown a lot of promise. >>

With still a meaningful game to play he's thrown for 4,500 yards, 36 TD's against 14 picks and a 64% completion rate. I can only hope that this is only promiseimage

Not to mention the fact that the Lions are never out of a game which is a huge intangible. NFL records for comebacks were set this season by these Lions. Not too shabby. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

As long as his glass shoulder doesn't shatter. I predict it will either this season or next season.

As for the Lions, it's amazing how a bunch of self-avowed Lions fans magically appeared this year, claiming to be a Lions faithful for decades. Funny how these so-called fans weren't anywhere to be found in the last 13 years.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

As long as his glass shoulder doesn't shatter. I predict it will either this season or next season.

As for the Lions, it's amazing how a bunch of self-avowed Lions fans magically appeared this year, claiming to be a Lions faithful for decades. Funny how these so-called fans weren't anywhere to be found in the last 13 years. >>

Where do you get the glass shoulder stuff from? He has had exactly one shoulder injury in his career. As for your Lions fans statement where do you come up with this POV? I've seen little of what you speak of. Neither here or in the Detroit area. Sure fans are excited but don't they have a right to be? As fans they have suffered greatly. Detroit is a GREAT sports city. It's actually also been nice to see support from non Lions fans throughout my travels. Wei don't be such a grinch.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

As for the Lions, it's amazing how a bunch of self-avowed Lions fans magically appeared this year, claiming to be a Lions faithful for decades. Funny how these so-called fans weren't anywhere to be found in the last 13 years. >>

Actually he has injured both shoulders in the last 2 years, but if you watched him in training camp you would have seen how much bigger he got from his off season work outs. Please keep predicting bad things for him, I like to laugh when people make dumb predictions.
    As for being a Lions fan, I don't care if you believe me or not.

I just found this part of the forum a couple of days ago, so for the record, I am a Red Wings fan (hockeyfan9 = Gordie Howe), a Lions fan, a Michigan Wolverines fan. I don't like basketball and am only mildly interested in baseball. I like Chelsea in Soccer. I occasionally rout for teams from Colorado because I live here and have for a while, including the Colorado State Rams(my alma-mater).
  • Options
    Yes he has had injuries. One to his right shoulder. 2009 he went out with a knee injury. He missed most of the 2010 season with a right shoulder injury. 2011 he played through a broken right index finger and still put up startling numbers. The NFL is a tough place to work. You are always one play away from your very last play. He is 23 and tough. I'll take my chances with him just the same. Not too many others I would rather have in his place. A handful, if that.

All previous injuries aside he will have managed to throw over 1100 passes in the NFL before his 24th birthday. Geez, I pray I'm not jinxing him. I'm not sure who has ever thrown more TD's passes then him at the age of 23. The list can't be long.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>Where do you get the glass shoulder stuff from? He has had exactly one shoulder injury in his career. As for your Lions fans statement where do you come up with this POV? I've seen little of what you speak of. Neither here or in the Detroit area. Sure fans are excited but don't they have a right to be? As fans they have suffered greatly. Detroit is a GREAT sports city. It's actually also been nice to see support from non Lions fans throughout my travels. Wei don't be such a grinch.

MJ >>

Seriously until this year I have never met another soul in Michigan or otherwise who has admitted to being a Lions fan. There are tons of Red Wings fans (a big elephant in that room with all things considered Detroit), Wolverines fans, Spartans fans, Tigers fans and even Pistons fans but rarely ever a Lions fan. Until this year it was very unusual to see anybody wearing Lions apparel out in public and the very few who did kept their faces concealed. Not even Eminem would dare wear a Lions jersey on stage. All of the sudden this year those conspicuously absent for a decade Lions "fans" are making a lot of noise.

The only prayer the Lions have of making it past Wildcard weekend is if they play the winner of the NFC East. If they somehow make it past that game the road will end the very next weekend.

Of course Detroit is a great sports city. At this time of year it's either watch sports on tv or enjoy the great outdoors of December in Detroit.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where do you get the glass shoulder stuff from? He has had exactly one shoulder injury in his career. As for your Lions fans statement where do you come up with this POV? I've seen little of what you speak of. Neither here or in the Detroit area. Sure fans are excited but don't they have a right to be? As fans they have suffered greatly. Detroit is a GREAT sports city. It's actually also been nice to see support from non Lions fans throughout my travels. Wei don't be such a grinch.

MJ >>

Seriously until this year I have never met another soul in Michigan or otherwise who has admitted to being a Lions fan. There are tons of Red Wings fans (a big elephant in that room with all things considered Detroit), Wolverines fans, Spartans fans, Tigers fans and even Pistons fans but rarely ever a Lions fan. Until this year it was very unusual to see anybody wearing Lions apparel out in public and the very few who did kept their faces concealed. Not even Eminem would dare wear a Lions jersey on stage. All of the sudden this year those conspicuously absent for a decade Lions "fans" are making a lot of noise.

The only prayer the Lions have of making it past Wildcard weekend is if they play the winner of the NFC East. If they somehow make it past that game the road will end the very next weekend.

Of course Detroit is a great sports city. At this time of year it's either watch sports on tv or enjoy the great outdoors of December in Detroit. >>

Then you never met me!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Well Wei I think maybe you answered that for yourself. A lot of cities do not have 4 major sports franchises so the folks in the Detroit have tons of options and yes the Lions were a dismal fourth in popularity. Every Lions fan has been tested and with good reason. Some fans are coming out of the woodwork now. Others are still amongst the mentally scarred that this ownership have left them and for good reason. Deep down Detroit is a football city. The other reason you see a dispersion of colors is that Michigan and Michigan State are wildly popular. So fans in the metro Detroit area have actually six choices. I wear block M or nothing at all.

MJ
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I always find it amusing when people challenge the allegiance of fans. Why does anyone care why someone follows/supports another team? I've been a diehard for over 30 years, but never wonder why others are.
  • Options
    Hey, us Lions fans have dealt with a LOT over the past 20 years!! Not only an 0-16 season, but only one playoff appearance with the best RB ever to play, His sudden retirement, Utley's paralysis, Andelsek's freak accident a few months later, to go with countless fiascos with upper management, etc etc...... We've been a little tore down. We are grateful if only just for one game!!!
  • Options
    Well said Dirt Monkey!!
  • Options
    "the only prayer the Lions have of making it past Wildcard weekend is if they play the winner of the NFC East. If they somehow make it past that game the road will end the very next weekend".

If the Lions continue to play like they did against the Chargers...they can beat any team in the league.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seriously until this year I have never met another soul in Michigan or otherwise who has admitted to being a Lions fan. >>

Oddly enough, including myself, on my floor of about 50 people in my office, there are 3 Lions. That wouldn't be so weird, except that we're in Spokane, WA - 2500 miles from Detroit. Not real sure how the other two became Lions fans - one is because of Barry Sanders, I think - but I grew up in Pontiac. I was a Lions fan before the Silverdome even existed and have been long-suffering ever since. Even more than making the playoffs, it's just awesome to have a budding superstar at QB - something the Lions haven't had in my entire lifetime.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>Oddly enough, including myself, on my floor of about 50 people in my office, there are 3 Lions. That wouldn't be so weird, except that we're in Spokane, WA - 2500 miles from Detroit. Not real sure how the other two became Lions fans - one is because of Barry Sanders, I think - but I grew up in Pontiac. I was a Lions fan before the Silverdome even existed and have been long-suffering ever since. Even more than making the playoffs, it's just awesome to have a budding superstar at QB - something the Lions haven't had in my entire lifetime. >>

Were those two others Lions fans in 2008 or did they align themselves after week 2 of this season? Speaking of superstar QB's, whatever happened to that Harrington fellow from Oregon?

Considering how many early first round draft picks they've had in the 10 years or so it took them surprisingly long to scratch out a winning season. With that much talent landing on the team year after year it took a bit of effort to disappoint year after year. When the 2012 draft rolls up it'll be a bit of a change for the organization when for once in a long time they won't have first 10 pick.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Oddly enough, including myself, on my floor of about 50 people in my office, there are 3 Lions. That wouldn't be so weird, except that we're in Spokane, WA - 2500 miles from Detroit. Not real sure how the other two became Lions fans - one is because of Barry Sanders, I think - but I grew up in Pontiac. I was a Lions fan before the Silverdome even existed and have been long-suffering ever since. Even more than making the playoffs, it's just awesome to have a budding superstar at QB - something the Lions haven't had in my entire lifetime. >>

Were those two others Lions fans in 2008 or did they align themselves after week 2 of this season? Speaking of superstar QB's, whatever happened to that Harrington fellow from Oregon?

Considering how many early first round draft picks they've had in the 10 years or so it took them surprisingly long to scratch out a winning season. With that much talent landing on the team year after year it took a bit of effort to disappoint year after year. When the 2012 draft rolls up it'll be a bit of a change for the organization when for once in a long time they won't have first 10 pick. >>

If my memory serves me correctly, they didn't have a top ten pick last year. I think they chose at 13. That being said, anyone who knows anything about the Lions knows how bad the Millen era was. All of those top ten picks, and most of the players he drafted, are gone. A lot of them aren't doing anything in the NFL these days. Millen had no clue and was a failure at evaluating players. He handicapped this team for 10 years. It's no surprise this team has turned so quickly after he left. Look at all of the picks this guy reached for, year after year. It was frustrating for all of us fans, knowing most of us could have actually done no worse than him at being the GM, and would have done terribly for much, much less. image
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    By no means count the Lions out.They could go deep into the playoffs.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>By no means count the Lions out.They could go deep into the playoffs. >>

If Dallas manages to back in, Detroit will have played each team in the NFC seeding. They played fairly well against most, so it's not inconceivable that they could beat any of them. Their stupid penalties hurt them in most games this year. Eliminate them and they have a chance against any of them.