Home Precious Metals
Options

Is this how big lobbyist firms really operate?

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 Step Program for occupy wall street pests from your friends in suite 750

A steal at $850,000

Comments

• Options
    OWS is as dead as disco
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is how they operate, hence a lot of the OWS movement. I think it's a grave mistake to take them too lightly, they are tapping in to an anger that, as pointed ou,t even the Tea Party bozos agree with, albeit for a different reason. And I believe they also appeal to a wide range of middle of the road republicans and democrats alike, but people that are not so vocal as the minority of OWS people.

It could make a huge difference in the 2012 elections. In fact I find myself agreeing with some of the statements put out by various OWS factions. I don't believe that unfettered greed and theft has anything to do with having a free economy. I think that anyone who believes we need less regulation of the financial industry is simply uniformed of the facts, or is making a living off their outright theft of resources. Is it a free market to allow certain groups access to markets so they can front run an individuals trades by a few millisecodnds to pick up a penny a share, to allow them to put together alleged investments to sell to the public that they intend to bet on failing? After watching the most recent theft of personal property, held by a largish financial institution, even some of the better off may start agreeing with them. No, I don't think we should have bailed out the banksters, and yes I think some of them should be doing time in prison for fraud.

I'm a member of the 2% by the way, haven't made it to the 1% yet. So if a reasonably well educated, middle aged, former republican, can start getting swayed I think the far right republicans wanting no regulation over financial markets may have a problem. Although I can't bring myself to vote for Obama, I don't want to live in a theocracy, and I don't think a nearly complete abandonment of government responsibility/regulation is the right thing to do, so I have been forced from the republican party.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<occupy wall street pests >>

Pests? The media paints them as delusional pests, that's there job.
    I spoke to some in Hartford, CT they didn't seem delusional to me.
    Most had a common thread. They're against corporatist Gov't, against larger Gov't, against the Globalist ideology, against bloated wasteful military budgets, against undeclared wars, against bailouts, against shredding the Constituion, against monitizing debt and against the Fed, Information is the currency for democracy.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<occupy wall street pests >>

Most had a common thread. They're against corporatist Gov't, against larger Gov't, against the Globalist ideology, against bloated wasteful military budgets, against undeclared wars, against bailouts, against shredding the Constituion, against monitizing debt and against the Fed, Information is the currency for democracy. >>

You seem to be mistaking OWS for a Ron Paul rally.

That said, I would not say they are delusional. They clearly want the pay and perks of a capitalist, free market society without having to work for any of it. They are the entitlement mind set on speed. The left's only real play these days is class warfare where the "takers" demand the goods and services of the "makers". To top it all off they demand that someone else pay off the debts accumulated in obtaining junk degrees like Interdisciplinary studies, minority studies, recreation, psychology and political science. They're learning that actions have consequences. Hopefully they will learn to stop playing victim.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Most had a common thread. They're against corporatist Gov't, against larger Gov't, against the Globalist ideology, against bloated wasteful military budgets, against undeclared wars, against bailouts, against shredding the Constituion, against monitizing debt and against the Fed, Information is the currency for democracy. >>

That said, I would not say they are delusional. They clearly want the pay and perks of a capitalist, free market society without having to work for any of it. They are the entitlement mind set on speed. The left's only real play these days is class warfare where the "takers" demand the goods and services of the "makers". To top it all off they demand that someone else pay off the debts accumulated in obtaining junk degrees like Interdisciplinary studies, minority studies, recreation, psychology and political science. They're learning that actions have consequences. Hopefully they will learn to stop playing victim. >>

I'm with Morgans on this. The Tea Party is against a bloated federal government. The OWS were primarily against a bloated and unfair/unethical corporate system.

I think these two groups had a lot more in common than people want to accept.

Any talk of the OWS groups just wanting free handouts, etc is media propaganda or fringe. I know people who participated in the West coast protests - people with multiple degrees, masters, etc who havent been able to find a better job than retail/barista in several years of searching. They arent looking for free medical. They want a legitimate job.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just the first step into the street by US taxpayers who are fed up with and suffering from all the corruption and greed. We have seen and will continue to see this increase globally. This is only the beginning as more people will decide to be heard. Look closely at these people, they are not government recipients, they are primarily middle class providers to the government.

The crowd not yet seen in the streets is the one living off of the taxpayers. Once the handouts start to dry up as a result of the first crowd being heard, both in the street and at the polls, you may very well see class warfare, with violence, between the two opposing crowds. The givers and the takers will eventually butt heads in the street. Politicians and corporate newscasters will make it a racial or political party fight but in reality it will be the middle class vs. the tax dollar leeches, each making their final stand. This will be but only one of the wars resulting from poorly planned and executed monetary policy.

This is why you want to own gold.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That said, I would not say they are delusional. They clearly want the pay and perks of a capitalist, free market society without having to work for any of it. They are the entitlement mind set on speed. The left's only real play these days is class warfare where the "takers" demand the goods and services of the "makers". To top it all off they demand that someone else pay off the debts accumulated in obtaining junk degrees like Interdisciplinary studies, minority studies, recreation, psychology and political science. They're learning that actions have consequences. Hopefully they will learn to stop playing victim. >>

I'm with Morgans on this. The Tea Party is against a bloated federal government. The OWS were primarily against a bloated and unfair/unethical corporate system.

I think these two groups had a lot more in common than people want to accept.

Any talk of the OWS groups just wanting free handouts, etc is media propaganda or fringe. I know people who participated in the West coast protests - people with multiple degrees, masters, etc who havent been able to find a better job than retail/barista in several years of searching. They arent looking for free medical. They want a legitimate job. >>

I disagree. The Tea Party wants less government interference in the private sector. The OWS crowd wants government to rig the outcomes in the private sector. Complaining about the free market is their tactic to demand more government control of the economy.

Demanding that someone else pay back your student loans certainly sounds like a handout to me.

The routine seems simple. Get a marginal degree from a University and then complain when the private sector does not need those "skills". Voila, if you cannot get the job you want at the pay you expect it is the fault of some evil corporation. No one dares to blame the universities selling students junk degrees.

No one owes anyone a job at the pay they demand. If you want a legitimate job you need a legitimate skill.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Demanding that someone else pay back your student loans certainly sounds like a handout to me. >>

6 years full time U.S. Army, 3 years NG, GI Bill and I'm paying a student loan out of my pocket.
    Even got a Senator involved, months of paper work, BS and phone calls, with no luck.
    No handouts for me, I pay my mortgage, I pay my bills, I pay my student loan to the U.S. Dept. of Education.
    I love my country, not my Government.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    if their beef is with the government then they needed to be at DC capitol buildings, not NY or any other city. Anyone who thinks they have America's best interest at heart is not only mistaken but truly stupid ..... crime reported at OWS
  • Options
    Maybe they know who really owns DC. Anyone who doesn't is not only mistaken but truly stupid. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>if their beef is with the government then they needed to be at DC capitol buildings, not NY or any other city. Anyone who thinks they have America's best interest at heart is not only mistaken but truly stupid ..... crimes reported at OWS throughout US http://chicksontheright.com/2011/11/17/handy-crime-chart-for-ows/ >>

Maybe they know who really owns DC. Anyone who doesn't is not only mistaken but truly stupid. image >>

the crooks who work there and pose as elected officials own it as of now. That will change eventually
  • Options
    It hasn't changed for decades, has only gotten worse and more blatant.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>if their beef is with the government then they needed to be at DC capitol buildings, not NY or any other city. Anyone who thinks they have America's best interest at heart is not only mistaken but truly stupid ..... crimes reported at OWS throughout US http://chicksontheright.com/2011/11/17/handy-crime-chart-for-ows/ >>

Maybe they know who really owns DC. Anyone who doesn't is not only mistaken but truly stupid. image >>

the crooks who work there and pose as elected officials own it as of now. That will change eventually >>

You're overlooking who pays them to be crooked. Changing the faces in DC will not address the root cause of the problem. It will only change the pockets to be filled. The line of puppets waiting their turn is endless. Only by cutting the strings will it end. >>

the gov gave them bailout money, not the taxpayers. OWS blamed the companies yet had the support of many Democrats, esp Pelosi. They are all crooks. People with morals and ethics will not be bought. Only when real Americans take office will it end. People like Frank and Dodd should be swinging from the lamp posts.
  • Options
    We would not have all these problems if we had term limits. I never hear anyone talking about this. We cant have career politicians whose main interest is in getting relected. I propose ONE term for every office from Pres to dog catcher.The term would be 6 years though since its only one term. Our elected officials spend more time running for their next term then they do serving the people.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We would not have all these problems if we had term limits. I never hear anyone talking about this. We cant have career politicians whose main interest is in getting relected. I propose ONE term for every office from Pres to dog catcher.The term would be 6 years though since its only one term. Our elected officials spend more time running for their next term then they do serving the people. >>

I don't think term limits would end the abuse though it probably would reduce it. Those running for office would just try to get "all they can grab" in 4 yrs knowing they won't be back.
    Instead of "owning" one politician for an 8-32 year career, the banks and lobbyists would just work that much harder to ensure they owned each new guy every 4 yrs....ideally getting
    them elected. Bucket shops were made illegal after the 1907 stock market crash. Those were essentially betting brokerages/parlors where no underlying asset existed. When otc
    derivative's legislation was being introduced in 2000-2002 the lobbyists and lawmakes ensured that the bucket shop ban was not applicable even though there was no underlying asset
    to most otc derivative's transactions. Somehow I think this still would have gotten through even if term limits had been in effect.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We would not have all these problems if we had term limits. I never hear anyone talking about this. We cant have career politicians whose main interest is in getting relected. I propose ONE term for every office from Pres to dog catcher.The term would be 6 years though since its only one term. Our elected officials spend more time running for their next term then they do serving the people. >>

I don't think term limits would end the abuse though it probably would reduce it. Those running for office would just try to get "all they can grab" in 4 yrs knowing they won't be back.
    Instead of "owning" one politician for an 8-32 year career, the banks and lobbyists would just work that much harder to ensure they owned each new guy every 4 yrs....ideally getting
    them elected. Bucket shops were made illegal after the 1907 stock market crash. Those were essentially betting brokerages/parlors where no underlying asset existed. When otc
    derivative's legislation was being introduced in 2000-2002 the lobbyists and lawmakes ensured that the bucket shop ban was not applicable even though there was no underlying asset
    to most otc derivative's transactions. Somehow I think this still would have gotten through even if term limits had been in effect.

roadrunner >>

i agree we would still have problems but I feel they would be greatly reduced. It may too late though to fix all this unfortunately. I feel sorry for our kids.