Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

FAO collectors I have a question.

I recently purchased a full set of the FAO issued boards 1-12 and have a couple of albums that have some KEY coins(mostly silver and from India which are hot at this point).My main question is would you think that it is okay to remove the key coins and sell them for a premium now while I can. I would keep the boards and possibly replace the keys when they are either cheaper or less desireable. Please understand that I also collect aluminum peices and there are various coins included in the boards that I also would POSSIBLY remove to include into my own collection. However, I do not have a problem just catalouging them as such and keep them in the boards. This is the main reason I initially bought the sets in the first place,aside from the fact that I bought them at an auction that not one person knew anything about the sets anyhow. I purchased the sets for a total of $90 plus the 15% juice. I practically have nothing in these sets, taking into account that I can make my money on two of the keys.

My hesitation on doing so, and the main reason I am asking this question to you, is that I am a Purist. I feel that the set should remain intact and I should not break it up. But then again, I would like to take advantage of the market to better my own collection as selfish as it sounds. Anyone want to help me make my mind up? Thanks in advance! -Dan

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I would think so. I tend to buy or sell sets complete but those are just proof sets really, I wouldn't have any problem keeping the pieces I needed for my sets and selling the others.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had to buy large lots or entire collections just to get a few pieces I needed. The rest became eBay fodder. Keep the coins you need, sell the others. In fact, sell the coins then sell the boards or vice versa.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, quite a good original buy. I used to have the best folders and was trying to figure out what to do with them (ie the Caribbean $4 coins) when my ex-wife took them and whatever else she could find - solved that problem!

Do what floats your boat don't feel guilty about breaking the sets...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the advice. I think that I will break up the sets and keep what I want out of them. I was going to try to start collecting FAOs, but I think that I would prfer to keep my primary focus on the aluminum pieces. -Dan