Home Precious Metals
Options

Finding 90% anywhere close to spot proving to be IMPOSSIBLE.

Finding 90% anywhere near spot seems to be IMPOSSIBLE

At least this bodes well for silver in the long run IMO. But its frustrating as well. I have been trying to buy some 90% and as we all know, historically you can get 90% a little under spot or at least at spot. Current spot of $29.25 at .715 equals 20.91 X face would be paying full spot.

Just try finding any at 21 X face or below. Maybe if you are gonna buy a $1000 bag you might get it for $22,500 if you're lucky. But who buys that much at once ? and who wants to risk getting a bag o' garbage culls which is what I know they put in $1000 bags. I looked on the BST and nothing. One guy put up a listing for some at 22.5X, some at 24X and some at 25X and 4 minutes later someone replies "PM sent". And that was way over face.

APMEX has $100 bags for 23,500 + shipping. So 23.5 X face + shipping for who knows what condition coins. I looked on EBID site and OH MY GOD everyone and I mean everyone wants anywhere from 28X to 60X. Ebay time I pay shipping and paypal fees I am in 25X or more. My local BM's they both want close to 25X.

I had found one website that had a large amount, where you could pick which coins you wanted and they were ~ 22X face, best deal I could find. Now barely 1 week later, I go back to try and buy more and they are sold out of everything. I swear 1 week ago they had 1000 + 64 kennedys, another 100 rolls of 64 Kennedys, 1000's of franklins, thousands of washington quarters, etc. they were asking over face and they sold out like they were giving them away.

Oh well, thats life I guess. Maybe I will just have to pay the 24 and 25 X face. I sure dont know where I can find any at 20.91 X. Its frustrating, but it does make me think Silver still has a long way too go. So keep stacking.

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the observations

same thing happened -- but much more dramatic -- when silver fell in '08.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

provident metals has 90% at $21.62 x face

90% junk

bullion direct is in the same range

nucleo exchange 90%

• Options
    Thanks for the info. Still above spot, but better than I am seeing anywhere else. Thanks, I check it out.
  • Options
    The Nucleo exchange site, all those prices in the 21X range are Bid prices.

The lowest ask price is 22.27 and thats only for $30 face, then all the other asking prices range from 22.7X to 25.5X.

On the Nucleo site, there are quite a few bid prices in the 21.5 range. This is people offering to pay more than spot and their offers are not being met with buyers.

Thanks for the info, its one more site that I will keep checking but it seems the Nucleo site is backing up that its costing at least 23X to get any 90% unless you want to buy a site unseen $500 or $1000 bag.
  • Options
    well its an exchange you can see the bids and asks and do a little fishing in the middle of the pond. Many of the sellers will accept partial fills you don't have to take all $30 but 10$ lots are the minimum
  • Options
    I am willing to take the whole $30 just didnt want to pay 22.27X. Guess I am just being too cheap and I will have to pay it. Just hoping to find some at 20.90 X which is full spot. Times are different and I guess its gonna take at least 22 1/4 %. Thanks for the info.
  • Options

Read up a bit on bullion direct , its a little different than other companies. Some people get annoyed with them , shipping will be faster through provident and cheaper I think as well.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At Provident, if you buy $100 face value the price drops to 21.36X
    ----- kj
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Extremely useful thread. Take care. jws
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I getit in all the time and am selling it for 19.5 x. Dont have any right now, but had more than 200 face come in the past three days. Wont any come in till Jan 2 now as I closed for the holidays starting today.
  • Options
    I bought a bunch here on the boards, Morgans, UNC peace and Walkers and Frankies when silver was $32 for 20.5x face. He said make an offer on $10 face, I did and he said want $20 face, sure. You just have to look around for reasonable people not ones asking huge multiples for bars that are "rare" and they are willing to take 90% in trade. The few people I know that collect bars already have these, not much market IMO. I will let you know when I run across another deal. Texas
  • Options
    I might add that its all over th place down here , flea market dealers, the other dealer across town, and several other people I know, you cant give it away at 20x face. No buyers period!

I have to ship it out every other day.
  • Options
    I am a big fan both provident and billion direct. But be careful if you fr Texas and buying under 1000$ or you'll pay state sales tax.
    Remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

Travelog - 20in20travels.com
  • Options
    Check the BST
    There's currently an add for $10 face halves for $215 shipped.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    It's not uncommon at all for this to happen.
    Spot Silver takes a beating for no reason over a 3-7 day period, and the spread widens for physical because people aren't going to sell for a loss.
    Spot Silver gets stuck in a somewhat predictable range for an extended period of time, and the spread works off of melt more closely.
    Spot Silver has a run and you can sell it for whatever you want because everyone wants some.
    It's not uncommon at all for delaers to pull the 90% out of their display cases, or let you know they have it, when Spot took a beating like it did recently either. You throw a stupid number out there at them, and then they suddenly have all you want.
    It's just the way it is.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Those stuck in it at higher prices have a hard time accepting the reality of the current levels.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finding 90% anywhere near spot seems to be IMPOSSIBLE

At least this bodes well for silver in the long run IMO. But its frustrating as well. I have been trying to buy some 90% and as we all know, historically you can get 90% a little under spot or at least at spot. Current spot of $29.25 at .715 equals 20.91 X face would be paying full spot.

Just try finding any at 21 X face or below. Maybe if you are gonna buy a $1000 bag you might get it for $22,500 if you're lucky. But who buys that much at once ? and who wants to risk getting a bag o' garbage culls which is what I know they put in $1000 bags. I looked on the BST and nothing. One guy put up a listing for some at 22.5X, some at 24X and some at 25X and 4 minutes later someone replies "PM sent". And that was way over face.

APMEX has $100 bags for 23,500 + shipping. So 23.5 X face + shipping for who knows what condition coins. I looked on EBID site and OH MY GOD everyone and I mean everyone wants anywhere from 28X to 60X. Ebay time I pay shipping and paypal fees I am in 25X or more. My local BM's they both want close to 25X.

I had found one website that had a large amount, where you could pick which coins you wanted and they were ~ 22X face, best deal I could find. Now barely 1 week later, I go back to try and buy more and they are sold out of everything. I swear 1 week ago they had 1000 + 64 kennedys, another 100 rolls of 64 Kennedys, 1000's of franklins, thousands of washington quarters, etc. they were asking over face and they sold out like they were giving them away.

Oh well, thats life I guess. Maybe I will just have to pay the 24 and 25 X face. I sure dont know where I can find any at 20.91 X. Its frustrating, but it does make me think Silver still has a long way too go. So keep stacking. >>

Have you asked your friendly neighborhood B&M coin shop what they have and what they will sell XXX face value for for cash?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those stuck in it at higher prices have a hard time accepting the reality of the current levels. >>

Same as... Those wanting it at lower prices have a hard time accepting the reality of current spreads/mark-ups to spot! image
  • Options
    Those stuck in it at higher prices have a hard time accepting the reality of the current levels

Same as... Those wanting it at lower prices have a hard time accepting the reality of current spreads/mark-ups to spot! image
    Or maybe they're upset that they waited for their long anticipated drop to buy (claiming to be buyers at any price) and now can't find any product.
    Like I said earlier in the thread, it's just the way it is.

If the people who say they buy at any price because they are "stackers" would be true to their word, they'd realize it works both ways.
    I aint selling for a loss, and theirs plenty of dealers that do it the same way because they know it'll eventually go back up...and when there's less product available, guess what happens? Spreads spread and if you're not willing to pay that spread as a buyer, then you shouldn't have waited so long to buy lol.
    Call it being stuck, sure, I have and am on a small amount, but that donesn't mean I'm giving it away at unrealistic values. DUH!
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    There are some little known concepts called "Supply and Demand" and "Volume Discounts".

There is plenty of 90% out there at reasonable spreads when a reasonable amount is purchased.

Went to a local show a few months back and a guy has a table full of beautiful JM 10 oz bars. Says he bought them all around $40 and can't let them go for anything less than that (spot was in the low-mid 30s by this time). Saw him last weekend - he still has them for sale. Didn't want to take a $2-3/oz loss, so now he's sitting on a $10/oz loss. Not necessarily the best business model, but if it works for him...
  • Options
    You can see a similar scenario play out once in awhile at your local gas station. Owner fills up a few 8,000 gallon underground tanks, oil takes a big drop later that day. Would you, as the gas station owner, immediately lower your price to reflect that drop, knowing you're going to take a huge hit?

Much of it has to do with cash flow. If you have other sources of cash coming in, you can afford to ride out the downturn if you wish.
  • Options
    One of the flea market dealers here bought 2 rolls of 2011 eagles when silver was 48-49 right before the first big drop, they were not able to get to it becuase the buliding was closed over the week. By the friday after the dust settles, silver was around 32. They would not sell at a loss and have been holding out for 50 again. Problem is they have limited cash flow and cant buy anything else becuase they refuse to take a loss on the eagles. They still had them as of last weekend.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are some little known concepts called "Supply and Demand" and "Volume Discounts".

There is plenty of 90% out there at reasonable spreads when a reasonable amount is purchased.

Went to a local show a few months back and a guy has a table full of beautiful JM 10 oz bars. Says he bought them all around $40 and can't let them go for anything less than that (spot was in the low-mid 30s by this time). Saw him last weekend - he still has them for sale. Didn't want to take a $2-3/oz loss, so now he's sitting on a $10/oz loss. Not necessarily the best business model, but if it works for him... >>

Be careful....several people on here think that "The Law Of Supply And Demand" is some kind of plot against them......

You also make a good point about quantity discounts. I suspect that, if they have it on the machine or on the floor, my former store would gladly sell you a counted-out $250 bag of 90% at melt for cash or check. If they have to hand count out $28.65 face or whatever because that is what you can afford to buy, they will want a little more for the labor.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    As stated supply and demand is at work, I remember selling a bunch of 90% a few years ago when 90% was going for a big premium so I converted it into .999.

I basically traded even up into mostly 100 oz. bars but also got some 10 oz. bars.
  • Options
    Forgot to add that I bought $100 face of xf walkers and vg-f standing liberty quarters for 21.3 times face a few days ago so didn't get them for melt but usually these coins sell for more than rosy dimes or washingtons.
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer 90% over .999, except perhaps non-circulating mint coins, as I prefer coinage over bars.

I've bought for our metal detecting club in excess of $50 face at 20x face the last 3 months due to members selling off their collections. I've tried to solicit silver at 18x with no takers. I'm kind of amazed those that say they can't find buyers at 20x given my experience here. Seems like there is less for sale as well around here due to people hoping for a price increase. I'm trying to take advantage of the <$30 price to buy as much as we can right now for our competition hunt next year, but I also am really hoping it doesn't backfire on me and the silver price fall. As it is, at this price level, we're once again going to have to have a garage sale or some other fundraiser to bridge the gap between what we take in normally at monthly meetings to what we usually put in the ground / prizes given the silver price. Whether or not I'm doing right, the next year will see. Maybe this will be my last year treasurer! image
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    We have plenty of 90% that can be had pretty close to spot. Bring in cash or a check and it can be yours.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can see a similar scenario play out once in awhile at your local gas station. Owner fills up a few 8,000 gallon underground tanks, oil takes a big drop later that day. Would you, as the gas station owner, immediately lower your price to reflect that drop, knowing you're going to take a huge hit?

Much of it has to do with cash flow. If you have other sources of cash coming in, you can afford to ride out the downturn if you wish. >>

i know now you have never owned a gas station
  • Options
    You are correct.
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    It is a little work but one can usually find it if they look hard enough and just not give up their money to the first offer that is found. The easiest stuff that you find is usually easy to find for a reason. They are asking to much for normal 90% or everyday .999 that one can buy for close to melt if he looks. Most Engelhard bars can be found at melt or for little premium if you look. Not ebay of course.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Went to the B&M coin store yesterday. Chatting across the counter, the man said that they have been sending all the non-numismatic gold and silver to melt and this includes the common 90% and the US Mint modern gold commems like the prezies and bald eagle and the like. Wouldn't be suprised to see this as a common response to the situation. So, more bars and less 90% will likely be the new status quo. In days past, there were always bags of 90% littering the floor but none were seen so I guess they really did it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You can see a similar scenario play out once in awhile at your local gas station. Owner fills up a few 8,000 gallon underground tanks, oil takes a big drop later that day. Would you, as the gas station owner, immediately lower your price to reflect that drop, knowing you're going to take a huge hit?

Much of it has to do with cash flow. If you have other sources of cash coming in, you can afford to ride out the downturn if you wish. >>

i know now you have never owned a gas station >>

.. not even close to how a gas stations supply works. image Another arm chair expert!
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    It does seem that silver at spot is hard to find right now but I find that understandable with the levels of retreat in price during recent months.

I just picked up some 90% for 20x face and some 40% at 8x today.

In another lot got some silver dollars for 25x face.
  • Options
    57loaded and Metalsman:

I have no problem at all admitting when I am wrongimage

So please share with us - how does it work?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry, off topic post, removed.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Gas stations don't make their $ from selling gasoline/ulsd. They make it by selling you a 20 oz of pop for what you could buy a two 2 liters for at a grocery store. A bottled water for what you can get for free (basically) from home.
    I think you see the concept now image
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>57loaded and Metalsman:

I have no problem at all admitting when I am wrongimage

So please share with us - how does it work? >>

No problem. This should help. no entirely but close enough.

•Station markup - Of course some of the money you spend at the pump does go to the service station. While some consumers blame high prices on station markup, service stations typically add on a few cents per gallon. There's no set standard for how much gas stations add on to the price. Some may add just a couple of cents, while others may add as much as a dime or more. However, some states have markup laws prohibiting stations from charging less than a certain percentage over invoice from the wholesaler. These laws are designed to protect small, individually-owned gas stations from being driven out of business by large chains that can afford to slash prices at select locations.
  • Options
    You know the shops popping up with a banner "We Buy Gold"...

...to talk to them.

IF they are local (not the Cash$Gold, etc., type chain) THEN you can make your own deal.

Some will jump at spot, since their refiner is paying them back of spot.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it...
    www.CoinMine.com
  • Options
    POM,

Understood - that's why they're called 'convenience stores'. You pay quite a bit for that convenience. Kinda like Ticketmaster.

MM,

I was not aware that there are minimum mark-ups in some states but I understand the logic behind it.

Apologize for getting this thread off track. I'll think through my examples a little better next time, or at least post my thoughts a little more clearly.