Home Sports Talk

Suarez Suspended for Racial Remarks

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
Link

Are we really this sensitive as a society these days that bad words are a cause for an 8-game suspension (which amounts to about 20% of the season)?

Now, if they started handing out 8-game suspensions for flopping, they'd be on to something....

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial epithets and the Premier League go together like meat and two veg. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no one else on the field of play -- including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials -- heard the alleged conversation," Liverpool said.

The club noted that Suarez is "of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black" and has been involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project that uses sport to encourage solidarity among people of different backgrounds.

"It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented," Liverpool said. "We do not recognize the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterized." >>

Wow.

Punish first, ask questions later...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Very bad news for my Reds. This team has enough trouble scoring without losing the one guy on the team who can create off the dribble.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ever happened to "Sticks and stone will break my bones but names will never hurt me"?

Joe

P.S. How many time do you think I have heard Joe Blow. Get over it.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sticks and stones can make me sore
    but nasty words even hurt me more.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Orwell was right.

Carry on.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Link

Are we really this sensitive as a society these days that bad words are a cause for an 8-game suspension (which amounts to about 20% of the season)?

Now, if they started handing out 8-game suspensions for flopping, they'd be on to something.... >>

In fairness, there is a context here that doesn't exist in North American sports. If Americans knew what went on at some of these EPL games they would scream bloody murder; guys making monkey noises at black players, guys throwing bananas on the pitch, etc. etc. The EPL is trying to get rid of this crap once and for all, since they know they HAVE to get rid of it if they want to draw in the big TV dollars from North America, and they've decided this is as good a time as any to make a statement. I wish they chose John Terry instead of Suarez, given my allegiance to Liverpool, but in the long run this lengthy ban will be good for soccer in general and good for the EPL in particular (which even now features a much more tolerant culture and fan base than Serie A and La Liga).