Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexican Numismatic Society Announces 2012 Convention Schedule

The Sociedad Numismatica de Mexico (Mexican Numismatic Society) has released their 2012 convention schedule.

All conventions will be held in the usual location, the Hotel Del Prado, 399 Marina Nacional, Mexico City. Special convention rate is available (not on website) or Executive Package via website.

March convention

Convention theme: "La Batalla del 5 de Mayo de 1862"

Wednesday 21 March 2012 (1:00 PM to 8:00 PM): dealer setup and early bird admission (200 Pesos, includes lunch buffet for the first 20 attendees)

Thursday 22 March 2012 and Friday 23 March 2012 (10:00 AM to 8:00 PM): public admission (free)

Saturday 24 March 2012 (10:00 AM to 3:00 PM): public admission and education program (free)

There will be NO auction at the March convention this year.

September convention

This will be the 60th Anniversary Convention for the Mexican Numismatic Society. There will be a fancy banquet on Friday evening, 28 September, but further details have not been released at this time.

Pre-convention trip to the City of Puebla 22-23 September. More details to follow.

Convention theme: "La Intervención Francesa y el Segundo Imperio"

Wednesday 26 September 2012 (1:00 PM to 8:00 PM): dealer setup and early bird admission (200 Pesos, includes lunch buffet for the first 20 attendees)

Thursday 27 September 2012 and Friday 28 September 2012 (10:00 AM to 8:00 PM): public admission (free)
[There will be auctions on both Thursday and Friday afternoon by different auctioneers. Details soon.]

Saturday 29 September 2012 (10:00 AM to 3:00 PM): public admission and education program (free)

Membership is 500 pesos/year. If interested, please PM me for details.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I guess I'll miss the March show (because it runs against Baltimore) and go to the September show.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckily no Ponterio (Stacks-Bowers World) auction at March 2012 Baltimore, so no conflict for me!

We ought to get a charter going to the September Mexico City convention. TwoKopeiki might be going too.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Convention theme: "La Batalla del 5 de Mayo de 1862". >>

So their theme is Cinco de Mayo? Sounds like a good time! image
  • Options
    Bump with updated info for the March convention.

Sorry I did not bump this earlier so anyone who may have been interested could have bought air tickets.

Unfortunately, the March convention will be slow as it conflicts with Baltimore this year and there will be no auction (at either venue, as it turns out).
  • Options
    September convention info has been updated.

I hope to see at least one forum member there.... I'll have a table.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could go, but it's running against Coinex in London. Maybe next year!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, still planning to attend.
  • Options
    Let me know if you plan go early for the Puebla trip because you need to reserve a space.

A few of us stay at a much cheaper hotel rather than the host hotel. It is clean, safe, and won't break the bank. Just a 25c bus ride to the convention.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    This sounds like something I'd really love to do in the future, perhaps next year. Thanks for posting the links!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>This sounds like something I'd really love to do in the future, perhaps next year. Thanks for posting the links! >>

Lochness, I hope you can make it next year. The conventions are around the same weeks every year. This year, being the 60th anniversary of the Mexican Numismatic Society, they should be having a special banquet.

During the 50th anniversary convention 10 years ago, the show was also bigger than normal and the Mexican Mint had their ballerina press there (an old, formerly-steam powered coining press) striking souvineer tokens in silver and brass, but my understanding is that this year the show will actually be smaller due to the normal room being already booked by another event.

Lest you think the show is large like an ANA convention or something, it most definitely is not. You could probably see everything in less than a day, depending on what you are looking for. But events are spread out so you can do some sightseeing or shopping during quiet times.

Let me know if you need help planning your trip!
  • Options
    Thanks, I will take you up on that offer when the time is right. Honestly, I'm wondering if all the news stories are true about it being dangerous / high-crime?

I agree, seems like a great opportunity to sight-see Mexico City. I've been to Oaxaca - and Guatemala, Belize - but never northern Mexico and the capital. It's next on my list.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Northern Mexico is where the crime is.

Mexico City is fine.
  • Options
    I've heard Baja and Cancun (the touristy spots) are particularly bad, but I also wonder if that's some anti-tourism propaganda. I imagine it's a lot like Israel - not ideal, but not nearly as bad as the media makes it seem. Would you agree? Como estas? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE