Home Sports Talk
Options

Popping the champange tonight !!

There is still only one undefeated team in the history of the NFL.
Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the overrated 1972 Dolphins..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I'd put those 72 Dolphins against ANY team in the NFL today and pick against them.

• Options

<< <i>I'd put those 72 Dolphins against ANY team in the NFL today and pick against them. >>

It's a completely different game. Their heaviest O Lineman was Larry Little at 265...that's how much linebackers weigh now. Buoniconti was 220. The Phins, and any other team from that era would be physically manhandled by present day players.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Yes, the overrated 1972 Dolphins..<<<

+1
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW- The Redskins were actually favored in that Superbowl. They were far from feared. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd put those 72 Dolphins against ANY team in the NFL today and pick against them. >>

I remember the 72 Dolphins and I must agree with this assesment. Today those guys might keep it close for three quarters but would be wore down by the end of the game. They would still have reason to be proud of that. After all, they are in their 60s or so now.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.............The Phins, and any other team from that era would be physically manhandled by present day players. >>

That's why he said he'd pick against them. image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's a completely different game. Their heaviest O Lineman was Larry Little at 265...that's how much linebackers weigh now. Buoniconti was 220. The Phins, and any other team from that era would be physically manhandled by present day players. >>

Exactly my point when the "Jim Brown is the best ever" convo erupts
  • Options
    Actually, I think the 1973 Dolphins were a better team than the undefeated 1972 team.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's a completely different game. Their heaviest O Lineman was Larry Little at 265...that's how much linebackers weigh now. Buoniconti was 220. The Phins, and any other team from that era would be physically manhandled by present day players. >>

Exactly my point when the "Jim Brown is the best ever" convo erupts >>

Right on Paul! I've been arguing that point for years.
  • Options
    Jesse Owens won the Gold Medal in the 1936 Olympics with a time in the sprints that high school champions beat today. But one would have to assume that if Owens were to be placed into today's world to compete he would have the benefit of trainers and nutrition experts and he would still be a champion. I think that about Jim Brown. While he was a superior physical specimen to his opponents, I still believe that were he 28 years old right now and had the benefits of today's training, nutrition, and offensive friendly rules, he would still be a Pro Bowl dominant beast of a running back. He wasn't a great back. He was THE great back.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
  • Options
    I know there are a lot of haters out there, but whatever the reasoning, whether it be that team against the teams now which is an ignorant argument or that they played a weak schedule (Steelers with Franco..pushover, Colts with Unitas...wimps, Jets with Namath..laughable, Bills with Simpson...easy, Browns with Kelly...incompetent, Chargers with Hadl, Chiefs with Dawson, Vikings with Tarkenton...maybe not such an easy schedule !!!) the fact is that no other team has been able to run the schedule and come out perfect. PERIOD.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    I know there are a lot of haters out there, but whatever the reasoning, whether it be that team against the teams now which is an ignorant argument or that they played a weak schedule (Steelers with Franco..pushover, Colts with Unitas...wimps, Jets with Namath..laughable, Bills with Simpson...easy, Browns with Kelly...incompetent, Chargers with Hadl, Chiefs with Dawson, Vikings with Tarkenton...maybe not such an easy schedule !!!) the fact is that no other team has been able to run the schedule and come out perfect. PERIOD.

Wow... um... not so compelling. The Colts did play the Dolphins twice. Unitas was outstanding... watching from the sidelines as Marty Domres stunk up the joint. The Colts were 5-9 in 1972. The Chiefs were 8-6 and missed the playoffs. The Jets with Namath were 7-7. The Vikings with Tarkenton were 7-7. John Hadl had a spectacular 1972 with 15 touchdowns and 26 interceptions as the Chargers finished dead last at 4-9-1. Tied with San Diego for the third worst record in the AFC were OJ Simpson and the Buffalo Bills. The only AFC team with a winning record that the Dolphins played in the regular season was the Chiefs, and they were only 8-6. The only other winning team that they played was the 8-6 New York Giants.

In the playoffs the Dolphins beat the Cleveland Browns. This was the Mike Phipps led Browns with Bo Scott as their running back, not Leroy Kelly. Kelly only had four carries in this game. Their top receivers were Fair Hooker and Milt Morin. Needless to say, this team didn't sniff the playoffs for many years after 1972. That being said, the Browns still outgained the Dolphins. Mike Phipps completed five passes to the Dolphins that day. Despite a HUGE advantage in turnover margin, the Dolphins still had to squeak past the Browns 20-14.

Then, the Dolphins drew the Steelers. This was not the Steelers as we now know them. This was the Steelers in their second ever playoff game. They were young and inexperienced. Again, Miami squeaked by, 21-17.

Then, the Super Bowl. I will give Miami props. The Redskins were a solid team, and the Dolphins shut them down. But, do you really think running through a 14 game schedule of patsies, then beating a Browns team on its last legs, and a young Steelers team is worthy of being called the greatest team ever? I'll put the 1948 Cleveland Browns against them any day. Yes, the Browns ALSO had a perfect season. They ALSO ran the table and finished with a perfect record and a league championship. And if you think the AAFC was full of weak teams, just take a look at those rosters. The AAFC was loaded with talent, and most of the teams were of NFL calibre (or better).
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After dominating the AAFC the Browns won the NFL Championship their first year in the league.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    The 1948 Browns had six HOF players, a HOF head coach, and beat every team in the league at least twice. The 49ers (with Joe Perry and Frankie Albert) were 12-2. Guess who the two losses came against? Yep, the Browns. The AAFC ruled that the Browns were too good, so they took some of their players and dispersed them for competitive balance. YA Tittle was given to the Baltimore Colts. That's how good they were.