Home U.S. Coin Forum

1866 dime sold on eBay for $533 - - good buy or bad buy?

RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
eBay 1866 dime sold for $533 was described as VF - EF detail with scratches.

Good buy or bad buy? And please explain your answer.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Comments

• Coin almost looks counterfeit. At the very least, it's a harshly cleaned coin that has been poorly retoned.

I wouldn't touch it with a 39 1/2 foot pole.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a genuine "P" mint business strike, then it's a so-so acceptable purchase due to ugly surfaces.

If it's a circulated proof, bad buy.

If it's an "S" mint with very weak mintmark, then that's even worse.

If it's fake, then it's much worse yet.

In summary, it's either "break even" or "oops."
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from those pics. If it is a true P mint in VF......then it was a very good deal.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coin is high risk

seller has sold other lots with coins that were not-authentic, tokens, restrikes etc maybe not intentionally, but sold nonetheless

lazy/inexperienced seller, high risk

poor photography, high risk

unable to give sufficient opinion if coin was a good buy or not, too many variables,

with paypal protection it is worth the risk though, even with a no-return policy buyers can still get a return if they make a fuss

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw, horrible photos ... do you really need to know more?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very bad buy-not a 1866-P. The date slopes the wrong way. (But I think you already know this)image

Bob
  • No major red flag but dimes aren't my thing. I will say that with Seated coinage some times you have to take what comes along when you are looking for a specific date/grade range. Curious to see what you think Rich.
  • Looks like an 1866-s F101 to me. Unlucky... This reverse die is known to have a very mintmark. Worth maybe $125?

Long time eBayer with 100% feedback rating, trying out the PCGS boards to save the fees!

Successful transactions with several board members here including abitofthisabitofthat, marcovan and others
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rec78 and SullyFan have the exactly correct answer - - the coin is an 1866-S with a weak S and not an 1866 Philadelphia issue. Therefore, definitely a bad buy.

Congrats to all who had the correct answer, or most of the correct answer! image

• Rich, I like when you post things like this!
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very cool thread. Rich (or Rec78 or SullyFan), can you give a little more detail as to the difference between the two dates. Going to CoinFacts and comparing the two issues, it looks to me like the second '6' in the date of the 1866-S is lower than the first '6', and that this is not true for the Philadelphia dime. Is there something else you are looking for -- what is the slant Rec78 refers to. Always enjoy learning (and so much to learn!).

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Gerry Fortin has one of the best numismatic sites on the web (www.seateddimevarieties.com). He's posted excellent images of every seated dime die combination known making it a great tool for authenticating - I've used it dozens of times to identify misattributed coins on the bay. Best of all, access to this site is free thanks to Gerry's generosity. It must have been a huge undertaking!

The 1866-s dime can be found by entering this into your browser: http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/pictorial/1866s.htm

Long time eBayer with 100% feedback rating, trying out the PCGS boards to save the fees!

Successful transactions with several board members here including abitofthisabitofthat, marcovan and others
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A very cool thread. Rich (or Rec78 or SullyFan), can you give a little more detail as to the difference between the two dates. Going to CoinFacts and comparing the two issues, it looks to me like the second '6' in the date of the 1866-S is lower than the first '6', and that this is not true for the Philadelphia dime. Is there something else you are looking for -- what is the slant Rec78 refers to. Always enjoy learning (and so much to learn!). >>

The genuine 1866 Seated dime has a date that goes uphill left to right. The 1866-S dime with a weak "S" has a date that goes downhill left to right. The "S" is almost completely gone, so it is easy to mistake for an 1866 Philly. Probably about 20 years ago, I ordered an 1866 dime in VG from a major dealer and it turned out to be an 1866-S with weak "S". The dealer agreed with me and provided a full refund. Since then, for every genuine 1866 Philly dime I have seen offered, I have also seen an 1866-S with weak "S" offered as an 1866 Philly. That is one of the reasons I created the thread.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At a recent coin show here in Canada, a dealer was selling a 'rare' 1866-P dime (in about Fine condition).

I told him there was actually a very weak 'S' mintmark on the coin, but he didn't think so.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    While most 1866 s have a date that slopes down and are easy to identifiy, there is this one that slope up a little.

This is the one that really fools people.

Buyer should get his money back, I doubt the seller even would know it was an S.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file