Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why would someone put coins they don't own into their Registry?

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
I tried posting this one the Registry forum, but not too busy over there.


Okay, odd story here.

I have a 1937 P, D and S set of Texas commems, I've owned it since 1995; long before the Registry was in place.

I recently decided to start putting some coins into the Registry, and those three coins bounced with an error that stated that they were already in the registry, someone else has them listed. I looked at them in the Registry lookup but they are masked as to not allow public viewing as to who owns them.

Why would someone do that? They had to have sold them at least 6 years before the Registry was put in place (I'm assuming 2001 was the Registry start date).

At this point, I'm waiting the requisite 3 days for them to reply back to the "registry command", then I guess I'll send in pics of those three coins in their plastic suits.

I just can't comprehend why someone would do this. Oh, by the way, these are NOT pop-tops, they are MS64, probably not winning anyone a lot of points here.

Comments

  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know but it happens. Very odd.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would someone who's owned a coin for 16 years wait until now to add it to his online inventory? I just don't get it. image

    Really, that's a crazy story. There's no explaining people sometimes.
    Lance.
  • Options
    i've mis typed certs before only to figure it out later when I'm wondering why does it say i own a stella?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Probably they mistyped the cert# and then forgot to delete it. I've done that once. >>

    The problem with that is, they had to mistype 3 different numbers. Granted, they are consecutive, but ... really?

    And to answer Lance:



    << <i>Why would someone who's owned a coin for 16 years wait until now to add it to his online inventory? I just don't get it. >>



    Let's just say I've taken procrastination to a high art.


    the oddest or maybe saddest part of the story of these three coins is:

    These were ordered from Harry Labstain Rare Coins by my father just a day before he died of a heart attack.
    About a month after we had buried him (and done all the mail redirection etc) I received, in the mail, a box with these three coins in it.
    My father had a pretty nice collection that was left to me, but getting these in the mail just seemed surreal. Afterall, these were his coins yet he had never held them not had a chance to enjoy them.

  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine says I own a MORGAN!!! The only Morgans I own were purchased raw. Weird. I think I shall delete it now. Thanks for pointing this out.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be mis-typed/typo'ed could also be someone playing a game and wanting to be higher in the registry than they would normally be, by being complete or something.
    Takes all kinds, but could be an accident, or could also be a dupe number (that happens as well).

    The numbers may relate to multiple coins (of different types even). I had to send a dime back in because someone else had the same cert number for a non-dime. It's a PITA but customer service did try to make it easier.

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Takes all kinds, but could be an accident, or could also be a dupe number (that happens as well). >>



    This was my first thought when they bounced on me. But when I ran them through the cert lookup they all come back as the correct coins, just owned by someone that is anonymous.

  • Options
    >Let's just say I've taken procrastination to a high art.

    You are my idol!

    -Keith
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>the oddest or maybe saddest part of the story of these three coins is:

    These were ordered from Harry Labstain Rare Coins by my father just a day before he died of a heart attack.
    About a month after we had buried him (and done all the mail redirection etc) I received, in the mail, a box with these three coins in it.
    My father had a pretty nice collection that was left to me, but getting these in the mail just seemed surreal. Afterall, these were his coins yet he had never held them not had a chance to enjoy them. >>


    Those are some seriously special coins...in or out of the registry.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Probably they mistyped the cert# and then forgot to delete it. I've done that once. >>

    The problem with that is, they had to mistype 3 different numbers. Granted, they are consecutive, but ... really?

    And to answer Lance:



    << <i>Why would someone who's owned a coin for 16 years wait until now to add it to his online inventory? I just don't get it. >>



    Let's just say I've taken procrastination to a high art.


    the oddest or maybe saddest part of the story of these three coins is:

    These were ordered from Harry Labstain Rare Coins by my father just a day before he died of a heart attack.
    About a month after we had buried him (and done all the mail redirection etc) I received, in the mail, a box with these three coins in it.
    My father had a pretty nice collection that was left to me, but getting these in the mail just seemed surreal. Afterall, these were his coins yet he had never held them not had a chance to enjoy them. >>



    What a wonderful story about the Texas commems and your father. Those coins are very very special.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a pic of his memorial service:

    image

    He was a pretty amazing man. He joined the Marines in 1941. Spent the entirety of WWII in the South Pacific.
    Spent a while in Korea (in the 50s).
    Was the Sgt. Maj at 8th and I in the mid 50s (from what my mother told me - I can't verify this as I've never been able
    to find any information that shows that) and retired after 20 years just as the US was getting involved in Viet Nam.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭
    They probably forgot is what Im guessing. Some people just drop out of collecting and leave sets up.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file