Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust quarter and counterstamp help needed to attribute this one

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭✭

1825 quarter

The link above is to a 1825 bust quarter puchased at auction. The actual weight of the coin is 6.48 grams, the spec is 6.74 grams per the Redbook. This is 3.86% less than the newly minted specification.

Could the waffle pattern be a cancelled coin due to not meeting spec, or would the loss be due to normal wear?

Anybody got any opinions, expert or not?


==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades



Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say it's a counterstamp. Possibly from a period waffle shop. image

    The real surprising thing is that they did not notice it's the rare Browning-1 variety, and point it out in the auction description to extract maximum juice from the bidders.



    Edited to add: it's strange that there is no damage on the reverse, nor around the punchmarks, suggesting it's not a counterstamp. I should look more closely before posting future waffle jokes.
  • Options
    He's right it is a B-1. That is one crazy stamp.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a mutilation caused by someone fooling around long, long ago.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    This counterstamp and others that are similar in nature, have been postulated by some to be a sort of cancellation stamp, although there currently is nothing to support this theory.

    The lower weight is most likely due to the wear the coin has received. If a coin did not meet the proper weight it would have been simply melted and re-coined, not cancelled, at least by the mint.

    I own several of these types of stamps on Bust Halves, but I did not pay much for them due to the fact that we do not know what they are nor where they originated from and that is where most of the money comes in.

    It is still an interesting item and of course I might be interested in it at the right price...
    image

    Hope this helps...

    QN

    Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭
    I really really like that!! I love squares image (Im a graphic designer)
    Let me know if you ever want to sell image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like it too.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting coin. I'm almost sure this same coin was a topic here many years ago.
    Larry

  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go out on a limb here and propose a theory. The instant I opened the link to the image, I visualized the teeth on the jaws of a bench vise. I've seen several styles of vise jaw teeth; the damage pattern on this coin resembles the pattern of tiny pyramid shaped teeth arranged in a geometric pattern of such a vise. Possibly the result of an attempt to straighten a bent coin?

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it is a counterstamp or not, but I did have a similar B-1 although the coin I had contained 13 round holes on the obverse.

    No wonder 1825 B-1's are so tough to find without problems!

    An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭✭
    YN TrainNut and I got out Rory Rea's book - and gadzooks! It is a B-1, making this an R5 coin. Its also interesting to note that the coin does have a cokeyed wavy bend to it, but does not appear to be out of round.

    So, counterstamp news maybe not so good. But I wonder if its worthwhile to get into a details attributed holder, or just leave it raw? Or with the damage, does an R5 scarcity matter?


    ==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades



    Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options


    << <i>The lower weight is most likely due to the wear the coin has received. If a coin did not meet the proper weight it would have been simply melted and re-coined, not cancelled, at least by the mint. >>



    Exactly.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I would have purchased it if I had seen it. Way neat!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this mark somewhere before, though I can't remember exactly where. I highly doubt it was this same coin.

    Coindeuce's "bench vise" theory makes as much sense to me as anything else I could think up.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have seen other vintage coins with similar PMD.
    Don't think it is anything special.
    TD
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks a little like the lattice countermark circa 1841 that Cuba put on coins.

    Here is a closed ebay auction with such a countermark:

    ebay auction with 1808 2 reales with Cuba Lattice Countermark

    It is not exactly the same as the countermarks I have seen though, so it may well be post-mint damage, as others have said.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭✭
    Thought I would push this to the top for Monday for us Waffle House fans.....


    ==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades



    Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file