Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

All Army and MOH commems went black!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
That's it, it's over.. we may have a new key in the Unc 50 cent coin. The mintages as of Tuesday were 38,464, still well under the previous lowest minted 1996 Swimming half dollar at 49,533.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

  • Options
    image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

    Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's laughing 'cause I posted my search term by accident! I've since fixed it, but if anyone wants something else to laugh at, I flipped all of my $$$ from selling my 25th Anniversary sets into 180 Unc commem Army half dollars! The downside risk is actually pretty considerable at $20 per thus-far unpopular coin! I look at the box of them sometimes and wonder what the heck I was thinking. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002 ✭



    Wow that takes alot of ba**s kiyote.Hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think relative sales failures such as this issue show the huge sag in collector base.
    True many are rather ugly but there was a time that the slavish mint customers would inhale this stuff. With your exception flippers seem not to have touched this one and despite being well publicized show VERY FEW actual collectors IMO.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine look gold. image

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bought fifty unc Army halves last minute. These are the most beat up looking commems since the 1982 George Washington half. PCGS MS70 coins will be few and far between.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭


    << <i>A bought fifty unc Army halves last minute. These are the most beat up looking commems since the 1982 George Washington half. PCGS MS70 coins will be few and far between. >>



    I agree. I bought 25 when I ordered the gold coins and ended up sending back all 25. REALLY poor quality.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>A bought fifty unc Army halves last minute. These are the most beat up looking commems since the 1982 George Washington half. PCGS MS70 coins will be few and far between. >>



    Agreed-- the PCGScoinfacts photo shows a MS68 that's a great example of what most of my box ended up looking like.

    The one thing I do think it has going for it that the Swimming half doesn't have is that there's a lot of folks either in the Army or veterans; maybe a decent amount will end up in non-collector hands. The Marines dollar and Boy Scout coins have the same things going for them.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options


    << <i>A bought fifty unc Army halves last minute. These are the most beat up looking commems since the 1982 George Washington half. PCGS MS70 coins will be few and far between. >>



    Not only condition, but the Army half is one ugly design to boot.
    Robert
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I only took interest in the gold. It was nice to have a small price drop before they ended sales.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>That's it, it's over.. we may have a new key in the Unc 50 cent coin. The mintages as of Tuesday were 38,464, still well under the previous lowest minted 1996 Swimming half dollar at 49,533. >>



    Good luck with your hoard, I bet you'll have to hold it a long, long time to get your money back on these.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope another 100 people didn't do the same thing you did. I bought 2 of each of the Unc gold and 5 halves...not a lot of downside.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file