Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1855-S Half Eagle

I do not own this coin nor do I plan to bid on it (I've already done my Christmas shopping).

Link

imageimage

I hope to eventually own one of these issues. Can we see some examples here, or some anecdotal information about the issue?

Comments

  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 629 ✭✭✭
    Looks cleaned.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a scarcer (and neater) date/mm than most collectors realize
    Here's mine

    image

    I like how big the mintmark is, and dig those slanty fives

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I think it's a scarcer (and neater) date/mm than most collectors realize
    Here's mine

    image

    I like how big the mintmark is, and dig those slanty fives >>


    I really like your example! What does it grade? XF-45/AU-50?

    I too like the big mintmark and the slanted fives. Plus, wasn't it the first year of issue for Half Eagles from the San Francisco mint?
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>I think it's a scarcer (and neater) date/mm than most collectors realize
    Here's mine

    image

    I like how big the mintmark is, and dig those slanty fives >>


    I really like your example! What does it grade? XF-45/AU-50?

    I too like the big mintmark and the slanted fives. Plus, wasn't it the first year of issue for Half Eagles from the San Francisco mint? >>



    No, 1854 was the first year 5$'s were minted although in limited numbers
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too like the big mintmark and the slanted fives. Plus, wasn't it the first year of issue for Half Eagles from the San Francisco mint?

    No, 1854 was the first SF $5. From a mintage of 268, three are known, and one of these is at the Smithsonian.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat coin but unfortunately it's been cleaned.image

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I too like the big mintmark and the slanted fives. Plus, wasn't it the first year of issue for Half Eagles from the San Francisco mint?

    No, 1854 was the first SF $5. From a mintage of 268, three are known, and one of these is at the Smithsonian. >>

    Very interesting! I suppose that for all practical purposes the '55-S is the first year of issue that people can afford.

    Just out of curiosity, is it known which collection the other two examples of the '54-S reside?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the first collectible SF half eagle

    I'd grade mine choice VF but wouldn't argue (too much) against EF40. I think 45 would be stretching it for either of the coins posted in this thread, the first one has nice detail but stripped surfaces and some unfortunate marks

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm late to chime in...but yeah, it's cleaned...or at least the photos are making it look that way.

    @baley...now that one's more like it. nice coin!
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Any other examples out there?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file