Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

A few world rarities in Silver

I've three coins here that have never fit in my collection , i've held on to them as i knew they were somewhat scarce. I'm open to best offers on any or all three.
First are two Mauritous 20c pieces , this one is very nice 1888

This one is also nice but high points have wear,like the lines in her hair.Its the scarcer of the two @ 50k mintage , 1877

And this one , 1912 Newfoundland , another rarity.It shows light to moderate circulation.

Krause puts a fair size ticket on these , any offer considered.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 4th Edition Krause must be whacked. It wouldn't be the first time.

It lists the 1877-H Mauritius 20c (KM 11.1, .800 silver/.0600 oz., 375K mintage, $5 F, $20 VF, $75 XF, $300 UNC, $500 BU).

It does not, however, list an 1877 without H mintmark (except a proof, valued @ $750), nor does it list an 1878 with mintmark, though it list an 1878 (no "H") with the 50K mintage you mentioned (@ $10 F, $30 VF, $150 XF, $400 UNC, $600 BU).

For the 1878, did you accidentally repost the obverse of the first coin a second time? The color is very different between the two photographs, but the marks make it look like it could be the same coin. That would explain how you have a seemingly impossible "1878-H".

This is one reason I always merge my obverse and reverse pictures together so it's one coin, one picture. (Easier on me as well, when I post them.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    G'day LM , yup ..i got them in the wrong order there ...sorry about that , i have them in front of me now , the 1877 has the H and is the finer condition of the two.The 1878 is also nice , it's just the lines in the hair are not as clear,i don't know if it's due to circulating or a weak strike to begin with as the crown looks good.
    They are nicer than pic's suggest , very difficult to photograph with a point and shoot , no questions asked return obviously for someone of your standing LM. : )
  • Options
    All 3 sold , thanks.