Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Topps WWF #1 Hulk Hogan PSA 10 finally hit

Someone a few weeks ago subbed a ton of Macho Man Randy Savage cads all at once and the same thing happened with the two Hulk Hogan cards from the 1985 Topps set.

One of the most significant wrestling cards just hit the pop reports and if this one hits EBAY it is going to be a barn burner.

The 1985 Topps Hogan has really bad centering and other printing issues and now there is a PSA 10 Pop 1. Congrats to whomever subbed it as that is a very cool card.

The yellow Hogan is #1 and the more expensive version from the set and that is the one that came back a PSA 10. There were quite a few new PSA 9's of both and other grades that hit as well.

I think this card could bring $500 or more which is a strong amount.

Comments

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Are there many collectors out there for the 1985 Topps WWF, given that all/most of the rookies are in the Wrestling All Stars?
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few collectors out there. I am personally not that excited by the set because they are so easy to find and the lack of Rookie cards that you referenced.

This card if sold will do quite well because you don't need a die hard wrestling collector to want it. Many people like Hulk Hogan but yet would have no interest in collecting this set in graded form.

The real problem with this set and the OPC Series II is unless the card is a PSA 9 or 10 getting them graded for the most part is losing proposition currently for resale.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I think the popularity of the 82 set killed the topps set. I used to consider the 85 topps card hogans rookie card. It wasn't till the past couple years that the 82 cards became mainstream enough to really replace the topps card. I still think casual card collectors who don't focus on wrestling cards would pick the topps card as his rookie. Its the only wrestling card that I kept with my football cards that were over a buck that I put in sheets back when I was a kid.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I realize you think others would go higher but what would you pay for it?
  • Options
    I think this is a really cool card and is exciting to see a PSA 10 pop up. I need to see the condition of the card to really gauge how nice of card this really is.

BGS handed out a hand full of 9.5 grades on both the Hulk Hogan #1 and #16. Every single BGS 9.5 I have seen hit EBAY has 30/70 centering left to right and still some how reside in a Gem Mint holder.

That being said if this card does have 55/45 or better centering with razor sharp corners and great color and focus it is going to be a really sweet card.

There have been 83 of the Topps WWF #1 Hulk Hogan graded and 95 of the #16 with there only being one PSA 10 so far. This is a very rare card when it comes to condition and at this stage if it comes for sale will command a strong price.

The major problem is that the 1982 Wrestling All Stars card is the true Rookie and once that card finally got some attention it really put the two cards from this set on the back burner.

Vlad I would for sure pay $250 and most likely more. I feel extremely confident this card would garner at least the $500 I mentioned if not much more. I personally have very little interest in this set. What makes all of these Topps wrestling sets suffer are all of the action cards. They just cheapen the set. The Wrestling All Stars are all singles cards and portraits that capture the wrestler in a shot used for their magazine.

What is very interesting is if this is the same person who subbed the large quantity of the Randy Savage OPC none of those have come for sale yet so this may not either. Neither has the Andre The Giant 1982 Wrestling All Stars PSA 9 that was the second PSA 9 graded.

This should be fun to watch play out.
  • Options
    The Hogan just sold today for $550.

There is a board member who has quite a few at PSA right now and I am hoping for his sake he pops a PSA 10.

• Options
    This card has turned into a Pop 6 out of 181 cards graded at this point.

Just this week finally #16 was landed in a 10 by someone. There have been 183 of those graded.

I am curious to see if that card comes up on EBAY or not and if so what it brings.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3% ratio is still pretty tough on a card with 180 subs.
  • Options

<< <i>3% ratio is still pretty tough on a card with 180 subs. >>

Yes it definitely is.

The 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #2 Hulk Hogan has no 10's.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    I gave up on those for now. Still have 2 full rack boxes. #16 is tough. Let's see how it looks when it pops up
  • Options
    This is a solid price for this Hogan. The OPC is much harder to find.

I was thinking no more bids would come in when it was at $101.01 with 10 seconds to go and then bam two snipes.

85 OPC WWF

There is a guy who had a PSA 10 listed not to long ago and I think he was willing to go in the $250 range on it.

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a bunch of unopened boxes/cases yesterday and 1 of the empty boxes used to fill with items I bought was this 1985 Topps WWF wax case box.

Too bad this wasn't a sealed case still!

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2019 4:44AM

I have to give this seller credit. Patience paid off. This Hogan sold for $540. It sat on EBAY for quite some time but went for a great price.

In recent years I have come to really like the Hogan 85 Topps cards. They will never be as valuable as his 82 but a great shot of Hogan from when the WWF was taking over the world. The current pop is 13 on the yellow and 1 on the blue.

I purchased a 10 off EBAY for a little over $300 in January last year and then self subbed one from the rack box I busted. What a thrill that was! I also got very fortunate and was able to purchase the Pop 1 blue Hogan for $150 a few years ago on EBAY. He has five stickers and I have three out of the five in a 10 and have one in a 9 coming any day now that only has 2 PSA 10's and working on getting the 5th sticker as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-TOPPS-WWF-1-HULK-HOGAN-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-ROOKIE-RC-POP-12-ONLY-ONE-ON-EBAY-/223121493932?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

• Options

Just added this one to my set. Only 2 PSA 10's so had to settle for a PSA 9 for now.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited April 3, 2019 6:41PM

Pic deleted

• Options

• Options

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

These are great! I split an unopened box of 87 with a buddy of mine a while back. We used to buy them from the gas station when we were kids. I didn't get anything grade worthy or even a full set, but it was fun.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2019 9:48PM

Thanks for sharing. These are the only wrestling cards I have ever bought or opened. I opened some packs of these when I was a kid whenever they came out. My favorite cards back then were the Hogans and the Junkyard Dog.

Steve
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez David, those 10s are incredible!

Was the 82T Hogan the one with the yellow background?

Mike
  • Options

@slum22 said:
    Thanks for sharing. These are the only wrestling cards I have ever bought or opened. I opened some packs of these when I was a kid whenever they came out. My favorite cards back then were the Hogans and the Junkyard Dog.

Me too. I bought some packs in 85 at Eckerd's and Woolworth's but money was tight so those dollars had to go to 85 Topps baseball instead.

In 2009 when I got into collecting wrestling cards it would first come to be while I had been searching for Brock Lesnar cards I decided to check and see how much a Hogan from this set was going for and that is when I stumbled on the 1982 Wrestling All Stars and once I got them in hand I went nuts buying them. Haha.

• Options

@Stone193 said:

Thank you!

The 1982 Hogan is made by Pro Wrestling Enterprises and these are the more mass produced 85 Topps.

Here is what the 82 looks like.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2019 8:11AM

What is the red writing on the headband on the one with the bluish green background? Is it a printing artifact? Almost seems like one of the plates does not line up correctly and has Hulkster not lined up and printed in another color below the black Hulkster. Does not seem to be on the other yellow background one.

Nice seeing some of the old WWE cards.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2019 8:37AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-TOPPS-WWF-16-HULK-HOGAN-HOF-PSA-8-X2674312-627-/264254539275?hash=item3d86cc460b:g:8OUAAOSwMnZcmO4K&amp;nma=true&amp;si=3Y0ZrxMrkTWQZQNCJUIhkQENCeE%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;nordt=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It looks like it is on this one too. I looked at a handful on EBAY and it seems to be more pronounced on some. The ultra high power scanner I have might play a role too. I will check when I get home.

This Hogan in particular has really bad printing. The image quality is quite poor.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably something I would not even notice if it was the size of the actual card. Blows up pretty big on my IPad. I do see it in the EBay link you provided too and looked at a few more on EBay and it was present. Seems like something that may be on all of them.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@Stone193 said:

Thank you!

The 1982 Hogan is made by Pro Wrestling Enterprises and these are the more mass produced 85 Topps.

Here is what the 82 looks like.

Thanx for posting.

I'm - actually - surprised I remember the card at all considering how much stuff is posted here.

Can't remember. Do you collect the wrestlers from the 50s?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193

I don't but Rob England @wrestlingcardking does and just became untouchable in the 1954 Parkhurst Wrestling set from Canada.

Here is the link to that set.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/company-sets/1954-parkhurst-wrestling-basic/5121

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    @Stone193

I don't but Rob England @wrestlingcardking does and just became untouchable in the 1954 Parkhurst Wrestling set from Canada.

Here is the link to that set.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/company-sets/1954-parkhurst-wrestling-basic/5121

Thanx David.

Mike
  • Options

The Hogan yellow has been getting stronger in a PSA 9 of late too.

This went for $50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-TOPPS-WWF-HULK-HOGAN-CARD-1-PSA-9-MINT-BGS-ROOKIE-WWE-nWo-/173816299290?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

I got so lucky when I busted the rack box and got a large number of them and sent in 6 and got 5 PSA 9's and the 10. Still got them all and think this card should be a little higher.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes crashing down and it hurts inside.............

• Options

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/383245206017

Strong price for a BBCX wrapped box.

Just like I have read on here about the primary sports, unopened product has been getting more expensive with wrestling too.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/383245206017

Strong price for a BBCX wrapped box.

Just like I have read on here about the primary sports, unopened product has been getting more expensive with wrestling too.

that box was also one without the black line on it..most have that ugly black line

• Options

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 4 dimes look great!!!

• Options

@JBrules said:
    The 4 dimes look great!!!

I was really excited to scan them all together. Thanks for checking them out.

• Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Those OPC Hogan's are sharp. And your right about the bbce box bringing a strong price. It makes me think about selling mine!!!

• Options

I think the OPC is the best of the bunch!

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options

WrestlingTradingCards.com
    1h ·
    Who’s interested in chiming in on tonight’s topic of 1985 WWF #Topps? We’ll be streaming live via our Facebook page, so be sure to tune in @ 6:10pm PST. Get your questions ready! We’ve got 2 very special guests to help us tackle this exciting release! #WTCtv #WTC #wrestlingtradingcards #wrestlingcards 😎

Rob The Wrestling Card King and I will be on at 9:10

This will be fun!

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

2.5 hours goes by pretty fast. :-)

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable