Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How to figure out the SMR guide?

Im a N00b in need of some help.

How do i figure out the value of cards not listed is the SMR guide?

Here's an example: A 1984 Topps Don Mattingly PSA 10, Pop 314 is listed with a value of $95.
A 1985 Topps Don Mattingly PSA 10, pop under 40 is not listed. How do i put a value on that?

Thanks

Comments

• bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Im a N00b in need of some help.

How do i figure out the value of cards not listed is the SMR guide?

Here's an example: A 1984 Topps Don Mattingly PSA 10, Pop 314 is listed with a value of $95.
    A 1985 Topps Don Mattingly PSA 10, pop under 40 is not listed. How do i put a value on that?

Thanks >>

Step One: put the SMR down. The values shown in there are meaningless to all but the most naive collectors.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • so then how do i determine value?

• www.ebay.com

check completed listings
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread sure brings back memories. I remember when I got started. I memorized the values of the cards I wanted from the newest Beckett Monthly.

I would go to the card shops and shows and CONSTANTLY be told that "Book is low on that card". ON EVERY CARD! Not really but it seemed that way. Of course when I brought in one of my gems and tried to sell it or trade it for something book was always "High on that card" LOfreakinL.

Eventually I started to separate the bull from the $hit and have a pretty good idea of what hings are worth.

I would agree with checking "completed listings" on eBay.

Have fun collecting............................now on to grading!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Drop the SMR immediately.
    ebay completeed is good. VCP vintage card prices is better as it also included ebay auctions (most anyways)
    here is your mattingly

Link to VCP Mattingly 10

As you can see one sale threw everything off so read what most have sold for.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Jay gives good advice. For example, SMR frequently will not distinguish commons that are particularly difficult. So, you might work on a vintage set and there are 5-6 commons that are extremely tough to find in a high grade. SMR won't recognize that. But VCP will show you the bidding wars that have gone on for those cards. There have been at least 100 times I've gone to click on a BIN at ebay because I thought it was a good price, then checked VCP and decided against it and then later got the card much cheaper. I highly recommend it.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Thanks everyone! Jay what did most sell for, i couldn't see the page. Also, how much was the one that threw everthing off?

Thanks Again!!

<< <i>Thanks everyone! Jay what did most sell for, i couldn't see the page. Also, how much was the one that threw everthing off?

Thanks Again!! >>

I normally won't post this much sales data out of respect for BobbyVCP, but here's an example of the kind of useful data you can get there.

5/14/11 eBay $61.00
    4/23/11 eBay $86.95
    7/1/10 eBay $31.00
    6/15/10 eBay $40.99
    6/2/10 eBay $32.51
    5/21/10 eBay $49.99
    4/23/10 eBay $39.95
    10/27/09 eBay $28.27
    10/18/09 eBay $29.52
    10/6/09 eBay $32.98
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to click on the blue link. That will get you the vcp page.
    one sold for $127 way high
    most sell in 45-65 range.

keep in mind nicer versions probably sell higher that less centered lower ones.
    Use as a guide only.

Most seller on ebay bin are way over vcp.
    If a card is really nice I have no problem paying top dollar over vcp.

I need a 85 mattingly 10 for my collection also.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Thanks BKing, and Jay for some useful info.

<< <i>You should be able to click on the blue link. That will get you the vcp page.
    one sold for $127 way high
    most sell in 45-65 range.

keep in mind nicer versions probably sell higher that less centered lower ones.
    Use as a guide only.

Most seller on ebay bin are way over vcp.
    If a card is really nice I have no problem paying top dollar over vcp.

I need a 85 mattingly 10 for my collection also. >>

Clicking on the link won't show him prices if he doesn't have an account.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------