Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is this a "7"

Going to submit 50 cards to PSA this month, all 1963 Topps. I need them to all be 7's or better. I on the fence with this card and I need the experts to let me know.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Assuming no surface issues that I can't see, I'd say it's a lock for a 7. A bit of fuzziness on two corners that I see, but darn sharp.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it trimmed? How does it match up against another card.
    For sure you are looking at an oc qwualifier even in a 7.
    that said is it worth even to send in?
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>Is it trimmed? How does it match up against another card.
    For sure you are looking at an oc qwualifier even in a 7.
    that said is it worth even to send in? >>

Unless there is something on the front that makes it OC, that back falls within guidelines for an 8.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Nice card...I think your likely to get an 8OC if you don't specify no qualifiers. If you do, I think they will grade it a 6 for centering.

Good Luck

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Nice card...I think your likely to get an 8OC if you don't specify no qualifiers. If you do, I think they will grade it a 6 for centering.

Good Luck

Jeff >>

Jeff, I'm legitmately curious about that. The centering standards for the back are the same 90/10 for anything from an 8 down to a 1, so it can't be the back centering that knocks that card down, unless we're saying that PSA doesn't consistently apply that 90/10 standard.

Is that card not better than 70/30 on the front? Not trying to be argumentative; just trying to learn the vagaries of the various years.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a 7 I just sold. Sharp corners and centered high. Similar to your card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    A PSA 8 of that card sold for $9.99 recently. I'm not sure a PSA 7 would be worth the grading fees.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    bking...back is fine but front is centered 73/27 top to bottom when I measure it. Nice card but don't think it gets a straight 7.

Jeff
  • Options
    I think it has a chance to get the 7, but it's nowhere close to a sure thing.
    If I were in your position I would not submit it (but best of luck if you do).
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>bking...back is fine but front is centered 73/27 top to bottom when I measure it. Nice card but don't think it gets a straight 7.

Jeff >>

Thnaks, the "bleed to the edge" color band isn't something I've spent much time measuring. For the most part, I was assuming that if the white border at the top matched the borders on the side then it probably measured within standards. For me as a non-collector of 63's, that's what I'd expect a centered one to look like.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! I decided to buy a 7.5 for 9.99. But I still might send it in later next year just to see what happens. I love the time took for measuring! You guys are the best! I have another one of these conundrums later...
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    with sgc yes , psa maybe. may be too sharp and get an 8oc
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only opinion that matters is the grader at PSA. Nobody here can give you anything but a WAG.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My WAG is no, I think it would grade 6.5.

Good for you.