Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sealed boxes are mostly holding their own. SEALED BOX or SEND IN FOR GRADING

I have 2 5 set sealed boxes and today I was offered $3600 at a local coin show for a sealed box of 5. It is a private collector who wants to put the box away for his son's college fund which will be needed in 7 years from now. I won't even go there and speculate where these will be in 7 years, but hopefully for his sake at least $10,000.

I've been crunching the numbers this afternoon and my sets won't qualify for "early release or first strike" through ngc or pcgs now, but I'm not too sure this matters and I guess some are saying that the non-early releases are bringing more than the early releases but if it is I'm sure it is nominal.

Ok, according to another post I believe pcgs is grading about 25% 70's on the two non-first strike key coins (reverse proof and "s"), so with the law of average and I assume I would get one 70 set back and the rest 69's I'm looking at $1300 for the 70 set without any autograph by the mint engraver and maybe $750 for the 4 69 sets for a grand total of around $4300. This would probably be a little more since it is a good possibility that I would get another 70 with one of the two key coins which would add another $200 to the equation or a total of $4500. Now if I assume about $500 in grading fees with shipping and insurance I'm down to about $4000 net. To me it seems like it might not be worth it to send these in at this point in time with no real incentive except if you luck out and get l7 or 8 70's with the key coins, but the stats aren't pointing to this being even remotely likely.

In a nut shell, does anyone else think that not getting these graded is the best route to go at this point and instead to just sell the sealed boxes?

Comments

  • Options
    Also, I probably mis-spoke when I said sealed boxes are holding their own, I guess it looks like they are about 10% off of their highs a few weeks ago, but it seems like graded sets are about 20% off their highs, so I guess sealed boxes aren't holding their own, but relative to graded sets they aren't getting hit as hard. I guess this was to be expected as the supply of graded sets comes into the market in groves as submitters are just now getting their graded sets back after a 2 or 3 week grading period, whereas with the sealed boxes there was no time lapse for getting them graded- they were in your hands and you either through them on the market or you didn't, so no new influx of sealed boxes coming into the market except from collectors who decided to sell the sealed boxes as soon as they got them.
  • Options
    It's a push right now on submitting. I've got one sealed box of 5 FS eligible sets at the moment. Prices have to be near a low ($3200 or so) for 5 FS eligilbe sets. If I spend $900 getting these all graded with FS flags I'll have $2400 in them and would (on average) get about $4300 out of them assuming I get 1 70 set, 2 69 sets, and the rest piece meal. That's $1900 profit.

    Sell my sealed box for $3200 and get $1700 profit? I'll hold for now at these prices. The flood will be over in a few weeks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file