Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

One thing I dont understand......

Key date coins dont carry more points. I have a 1793 Half Cent in VG10, and a 1810 Half Cent in VF35. For some reason, the 1810 has a higher point value. I figured it would be the other way around but obviously not. Why is that?
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Key date coins dont carry more points. I have a 1793 Half Cent in VG10, and a 1810 Half Cent in VF35. For some reason, the 1810 has a higher point value. I figured it would be the other way around but obviously not. Why is that? >>

Are you listing them in a type set? Or in a set of Large Cents?

Points for type sets seem to be based on how difficult it is to find a nice coin (of any date) in that type.

Also, the points seem to be geared towards high grade examples. So, while the points may not make sense at the VG or VF level, they may be appropriate for the MS63-MS65 range.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    For my type set.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is likely because it is in a type set. I tend to agree that it is confusing, but a type set can be collected different ways- rare dates or condition

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A type set is just that, a type set. Not a key date set (though, I think that would be cool to have/do).
    Given that, why wouldn't the same TYPE of coin give more value to one in a higher grade? It should.

None of my key dates "make the grade" for inclusion in the type sets in the registry...not if I want the most points.
    For most folks, I think that would be true as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment