Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1804 5 shilling/dollar

I love the look and detail overall...

Overall... AWESOME experience with Ye Ole Coin and it's exactly as I've been led to expect!!!!

Perfect balance of detail and undertype. Forgive the multitude of pictures, I pretty much just let my eye be dragged around the coin as I had it on the copy stand. I have yet to do any connecting with the 8R type.

.....(obviously, you never like to see little green flecks but considering the scarcity of the issue I really dont mind (this is pending an acetone bath for me but I'm not hopeful it will completely alleviate the presence, but at least it'll stabilize it))....

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin & fantastic photos.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful coin & fantastic photos. >>

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot! Nice pick-up image

Great close-up shots. Without taking too hard of a look, the 8 Reales undertype seems to be that of Ferdinand VII. That close-up of the bottom of the obverse shows "IN VII" pretty well. That means the date should be somewhere around 2 o'clock on the obverse, perhaps between "DEI" and "GRATIA". Since you can see "8R" pretty well on the reverse, the mint mark is probably near the top of the reverse, but most likely obliterated by the crown of the Dollar. You can play around with reflecting the light from that area and see if more of the undertype shows up.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great piece, Frank, and I love the prominence of the undertype.

Did they use the Boulton/Watt steam presses to overstrike these? Must've taken a helluva lot of pressure.

I've had those Brazilian coins overstruck on Spanish 8R before, but they don't seem to have been quite as well overstruck.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Very nice, I have always wanted one of those.