Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with Identification

Can anyone help me out and tell me about these? Historical context, value etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Obverse

Comments

• Options
    If authentic (and they look to be) I believe these are billon tetradrachmas Roman Colonial coins. The second one appears to be c. 69 AD as it has the bust of Nero on one side, and on the other side that could be Vespasian (or maybe even Galba or Otho who would be scarcer emperors). The first one has the head of Zeus so maybe that was struck before the Roman emperors, not sure.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First one might be Titus.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I thought you were a paper guy! I think I got the obverses and reverses properly matched in my mind. Both coins are in Curtis.

These are tetradrachm from the Alexandria mint in Egypt. The top coin appears to be of Vespesian, year 1 (see the "L A" at 5 oclock on the obverse) or about 69-70 AD. The reverse is Nike/Victory. Here's the coin in Wildwinds: linky reverse

The bottom one is Nero, looks undated with a reverse of Zeus Olympios. WW link of a dated coin: nero

Both appear to be well toned and in nice condition for the series, but will leave it to someone else to price (altho I might be interested in the Vespasian if you're selling - a shameless plug).

Pretty coins in any case.

edited to add:I initially thought the top coin was Titus too, but the legend matches that provided by Curtis. The Nike reverse is also not indicated for Titus.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Hey STLNATS,

I might have a note for you... it's common but the condition is superb. anyway....

Yeah... I am a paper guy but I got a handful of these coins in a paper deal.

The first guy I showed these coins to in Baltimore authenticated them but wouldn't make an offer.

Kept asking me what I wanted... obviously I have no basis to make a rational ask.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    pm sent
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know little to nothing about ancients, but that patina is fantastic!
  • Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the patina on these are better than I've seen on modern large cents...

Here are a couple more from the group