Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Newbie query: Not Holdered-Miscut???

Just got my 1970s Set Registry Special goodies back. Some nice surprises, but one very nasty one. A 1970 Topps Baseball card well-centered all around, came back not in a lovely PSA holder but in its Card Saver, labelled 'Miscut'. Now I understood 'Miscut' to mean a card so far off-center that part of the adjoining card on the sheet is visible and consequently some feature of your card is missing. I further thought that if a card displayed these symptoms but was otherwise OK, PSA gave it a qualifier the same as OC, ST, MK or whatever. But this card is entire with no intrusive neighbours

What has my poor card done to deserve this? On close examination, I think it may be infinitesimally wider than other cards in the set.
Is this the crime? And if so is it a very common occurrence?
Baseball HOF Autographs
Topps Baseball 1967
Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
MVPs in their MVP years
and T206???

Comments

• Options
    It is probably cut in an odd manner. You mentioned it was wider. Stand the card up on each side on a flat surface. My guess is that the left or right side is bowed out, and rocks back and forth when set on that side.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jonathan,

Check the back. The 1970 cards are notorious for being way off-centered on the back. 90/10 is the limit. If you have virtually no border on a side of the reverse, it'll come back as a miscut. On a positive note - I believe that PSA gives you a certificate for a free grading on those.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    waitilltheytrytosell:

You are the winner! It was only when I stood it on its right side that I noticed that the bottom corner protrudes further than the top one, hence a slight gap when placed on that side. Thanks for at least providing me with an explanation.

Frank:
    No mention of a free grading. Do you think I qualify for one in the circumstances outlined above?
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jonothan,

I believe so. According to PSA's website if you look near the bottom of your invoice you'll see descriptions of different reasons that cards are not holdered.

N-8 Miscut - This term is used when the factory cut is an abnormal cut. The grading fees are returned.

The free grading certificate is generally sent out a week or to after the cards (have no idea why - since it seems that it would cost them more that way). If you don't reecive it within two weeks after your cards - I would email PSA asking where it is.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!