Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Missing S-VDB

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the Letters column of the December 2011 issue of The Numismatist is the following. Any doubts about what likely happened?
Lance.

SEARCHING FOR 1909-S VDB CENT
I hope readers can help us track down a 1909-S VDB cent that changed hands at the ANA's Fall National Money Show in Pittsburgh in October. The coin was purchased at the Coin Carolina table, but the price was misquoted at $175; in actuality, the coin was valued at $5,700.

We tracked down the person who bought it, but unfortunately he had traded the cent for a Barber dime at another table. He did not remember the name of the dealer. The piece was encapsulated by PCGS (#126240015).

Anyone with information about this transaction is urged to contact Coin Carolina, phone 888-558-5250 (cell 704-904-0180) or email sherrilln@cfl.rr.com.
----------

(Note that the cert# is too long. It should be 12624015, I believe, a 65RD.)

Comments

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Guess you are assuming that the original buyer still has it and told a little stretcher about selling it. You're probably right.

What I am wondering, though, is what would happen if a dealer called and said "yeah, I traded this for a coin of similar value" what would happen? What then?

• Options
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean about "any doubts about what happened", unless you mean he didn't really trade the coin.

Unfortunate, but I don't see where anything illegal happened or how the dealer can get his coin back.
  • Options
    How is this illegal? A price was quoted, paid and completed. Hire and train better next time.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once bought a $35K coin for $11K. I knew it was underpriced by the "assistant dealer" and just wanted to have some fun with the dealer.

He tracked me down in less than 30 minutes and didn't see the humor in it. .image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Just from memory here -- I met Alan (coin carolina) this summer at the Dalton, GA show and he had prices marked on his slabs and he even had a few recent auction prices listed (but that may have been in a book -- memory failing me there). Seemed very organized and not someone who just had a big case with a bunch of unmarked slabs where he pulled the prices from his head on them. Surprised this happened. Maybe the really high dollar stuff was unmarked?
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He probably needs to pay a little more than minimum wage for his help.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The folks at Coin Carolina are always easy to talk to at shows. It appears that one of them read the coin as a 1909 VDB and not a 1909-S VDB.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I think this is the coin that's being talked about?:

Link
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The folks at Coin Carolina are always easy to talk to at shows. It appears that one of them read the coin as a 1909 VDB and not a 1909-S VDB. >>

Even an 09-S would go for far more than $175 in anything close to MS grades. So I don't think this is the cause for this pricing error.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    That makes sense, probably sold it thinking it was a 1909-P VDB.

I don't see what good searching for it does. I'd think if the buyer would return it the reason would be his conscience not a legal obligation and I'd assume he made the choice to keep it as soon as he walked away from buying it.

Ed
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, price rose $1,300 since April?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, what a story. I hope there are
    follow-ups !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    I wonder if the would get the police involved and send out an APB, contact other dealers, place an ad in publications and news papers if they found a 1901-S Barber Quarter in some junk silver a regular guy sold them?image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, price rose $1,300 since April?

bob >>

That number does not include the 15% Buyer's Premium. And that assumes that dealer was the original TT buyer.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    I'm with Tom. The dealer, or an asst, thought it was a VDB not an S-VDB.

What I find incredulous is that the buyer didn't know this. It's right there on the PCGS label. And if he really did trade it for a Barber dime the dealer taking the trade probably didn't make the same mistake. The S-VDB buyer must have known at some point.

I also think the average collector would remember what table this trade occurred at. Yeah, big shows are a frenzy but I never forget where I got a coin even if I can't remember the dealer's name.

Obviously I don't know what really happened but I suspect the buyer was underhanded. And if the Barber dime trade was just a story and he still had the S-VDB he probably unloaded it fast or cracked and submitted it. I hope karma kicks in and it genuines.

I feel badly for Coin Carolina. That's a pretty big loss for any dealer.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Obviously the buyer understood something was wrong with the transaction, but still a big blunder for Coin Carolina.

You can't have just anyone handling your high-priced material.

I still don't understand what they think they can do to rectify this.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....That's crazy!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still don't understand what they think they can do to rectify this. >>

I think they are appealing to people's personal integrity.

Yes, it was a silly blunder but for the buyer to not know that it was a multi-thousand dollar coins says alot about his integrity.

I;m all for getting a terrific deal but this was just way over the top.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I still don't understand what they think they can do to rectify this. >>

I think they are appealing to people's personal integrity.

Yes, it was a silly blunder but for the buyer to not know that it was a multi-thousand dollar coins says alot about his integrity.

I;m all for getting a terrific deal but this was just way over the top. >>

I agree with your thoughts 19Lyds, but it makes no sense to appeal to a person's integrity who has just demonstrated they don't have one.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm with Tom. The dealer, or an asst, thought it was a VDB not an S-VDB.

What I find incredulous is that the buyer didn't know this. It's right there on the PCGS label. And if he really did trade it for a Barber dime the dealer taking the trade probably didn't make the same mistake. The S-VDB buyer must have known at some point.

I also think the average collector would remember what table this trade occurred at. Yeah, big shows are a frenzy but I never forget where I got a coin even if I can't remember the dealer's name.

Obviously I don't know what really happened but I suspect the buyer was underhanded. And if the Barber dime trade was just a story and he still had the S-VDB he probably unloaded it fast or cracked and submitted it. I hope karma kicks in and it genuines.

Lance. >>

I disagree I don't always remember where I got a coin at a big show, personally I have no sympathy for the dealer. If buyer beware applies why doesn't dealer beware apply. If I had been that lucky and the dealer called me up and said I under charged you, I would say tough luck. It is the dealers business to know coins and to sell them for what they believe is a fair price. It is my business to collect them and to pay what I believe is a fair price.
  • Options
    So feel bad for the dealer, no and here is why.....

Dealers don't manufacture anything, dealers don't create anything, dealers don't invent anything, dealers don't improve anything, dealers don't do anything.

The whole premise of a dealer, their lively hood, their entire existence is built on the premise of buying low, marking it up and selling it for a profit. They are brokers, nothing more. They buy low and sell high. So when they can't even do something as simple as buy a coin (already graded and slabbed, so again, not even any talent here), mark it up more than a thousand dollars and sell it (again already graded and slabbed) without screwing that up, well boys and girls, there isn't much hope for them.

So a collector had a chance to do what dealers have been doing forever, buying low and selling high.
  • Options

<< <i>I disagree I don't always remember where I got a coin at a big show, personally I have no sympathy for the dealer. If buyer beware applies why doesn't dealer beware apply. If I had been that lucky and the dealer called me up and said I under charged you, I would say tough luck. It is the dealers business to know coins and to sell them for what they believe is a fair price. It is my business to collect them and to pay what I believe is a fair price. >>

Your last line... "Pay what I believe is a fair price." Tell me you really do not think $175 for a mint state 09 - S VDB is a fair price. If you do you have other issues.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I also think the average collector would remember what table this trade occurred at. Yeah, big shows are a frenzy but I never forget where I got a coin even if I can't remember the dealer's name. >>

I disagree I don't always remember where I got a coin at a big show, personally I have no sympathy for the dealer. If buyer beware applies why doesn't dealer beware apply. If I had been that lucky and the dealer called me up and said I under charged you, I would say tough luck. It is the dealers business to know coins and to sell them for what they believe is a fair price. It is my business to collect them and to pay what I believe is a fair price. >>

Well then, perhaps you are not the average collector. Still, no matter how you figure this played out, the Barber trade should have been very memorable. Either the guy was shocked and surprised or he was nervous and anxious. That trade, with that dealer at that table, wouldn't have been quickly forgotten.
    Lance.
  • Options
    I feel bad that this has happened to this dealer. But could this be considered a great cherrypick by the collector?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I feel bad that this has happened to this dealer. But could this be considered a great cherrypick by the collector? >>

Absolutely not.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So feel bad for the dealer, no and here is why.....

Dealers don't manufacture anything, dealers don't create anything, dealers don't invent anything, dealers don't improve anything, dealers don't do anything.

The whole premise of a dealer, their lively hood, their entire existence is built on the premise of buying low, marking it up and selling it for a profit. They are brokers, nothing more. They buy low and sell high. So when they can't even do something as simple as buy a coin (already graded and slabbed, so again, not even any talent here), mark it up more than a thousand dollars and sell it (again already graded and slabbed) without screwing that up, well boys and girls, there isn't much hope for them.

So a collector had a chance to do what dealers have been doing forever, buying low and selling high. >>

Obviously, you have a very high opinion of dealers. I do appreciate the fact that I would never have been able to have my collection were it not for those "dreaded" dealers. These "worthless" people who travel the show circuit around the country are people I have relied on for many a year (like 35 years). I have made many friends, gained much information and expertise, and obtained some wonderful coins that I would not otherwise have obtained. For those who really hate dealers, and despise their existence, the answer is simple: Don't ever go to a show or patronize a dealer anywhere ever again! Good luck looking for your special coins.

Regarding the OP, it is indeed a regrettable situation. What I find disturbing, though, is those who lack any degree of compassion. If the situation were reversed and the collector got screwed, everyone would want to hang the dealer and this thread count would be at least 450+. Sometimes we hold ourselves to a much lower standard the we hold others. But what it boils down to is this. What is wrong is wrong. There are scumbags on both sides of the table. Rather than choosing our side of the table, we should be choosing what is right and what is wrong.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options

<< <i>The whole premise of a dealer, their lively hood, their entire existence is built on the premise of buying low, marking it up and selling it for a profit. >>

As far a livelihoods go, most people don't deliberately engage in an activity that costs them more than the income generated by that activity. Doesn't make them bad people.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ever happened to honesty and integrity?

They guy that bought this is no different than someone who watches you accidently drop a $20 on the floor while reaching into your wallet to pay for something. He then waits for you to leave and picks it up and puts it in his pocket. They'll get theirs eventually.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

Regarding the OP, it is indeed a regrettable situation. What I find disturbing, though, is those who lack any degree of compassion. If the situation were reversed and the collector got screwed, everyone would want to hang the dealer and this thread count would be at least 450+. Sometimes we hold ourselves to a much lower standard the we hold others. But what it boils down to is this. What is wrong is wrong. There are scumbags on both sides of the table. Rather than choosing our side of the table, we should be choosing what is right and what is wrong.

Larry L.

image >>

There's one difference though. Although people might sympathize with the collector, NO ONE would be publishing columns in a newspaper or positing threads about the coin the dealer ripped, expecting that if the dealer could be found with the coin, then the dealer should be expected to return it.

Instead, we'd hear about how the collector got an "education" or "paid tuition" and hopefully learned from their experience.

I'm not justifying what the collector did to the dealer. I think the golden rule applies on both sides of the table. However, I am pointing out an obvious double standard when it comes to issues like this. Dealers live by the sword, so they should be prepared to die by the sword.
  • Options
    Bruce, if you are offering me one for $175 I will take it. As for it being a fair price, a fair price is what a seller and a buyer agree to before a transaction. According to the government that coin is worth 1 cent. It is you and I and the rest of the collectors who say the coin has more value. In this case $175 is fair because the buyer and the dealer agreed on the price in good faith. Do I think the buyer got a great deal? You bet. Do I think the seller or his rep made a bad business decision? You bet. Do I think that the buyer has any obligation to return the coin or pay more money. Not on your life it was a fair transaction. That is Capitalism.

Lance, I concede that point to you. The guy probably remembers the transaction. He shouldn't have lied. He should have just told the dealer tough luck.
  • Options
    Is this any different from ripping a friend on an oversight, or squeezing of an elderly couple who don't know better?

I'm good with a little haggling. I guess I'm not okay with taking huge advantage of an obvious mistake...which ever side of the table it comes from.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭

<< <i>Consider it the cost of doing business and nothing more. Yawn, >>

agreed
  • Options
    Several posts have stated that the buyer should have known what he was buying. The dealer should have known what he was selling. Now had I been the buyer I would have pointed out the mistake but unfortunate for the dealer I was not the buyer since I have to sleep at night. The buyer got a whale of a deal and was not willing to rectify it so the dealer is just going to have to live with their mistake.

For what it is worth I once received coins from an eBay dealer that were not the coins I had bid on and were worth more than what I had ordered. I notified him that day to let him know of the mistake. He told me keep the coins for being honest that it was their mistake.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

<< <i>He probably needs to pay a little more than minimum wage for his help. >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>I'm with Tom. The dealer, or an asst, thought it was a VDB not an S-VDB.

Lance. >>

Why would the buyer lie about the Barber trade? He or she has no legal obligation to return the coin.
  • Options

<< <i>Is this any different from ripping a friend on an oversight, or squeezing of an elderly couple who don't know better?
    . >>

Yes; coin dealers should know what they're are doing and hire competent staff. If it was an error, then I'm sure the dealer's staff will be more careful in the future.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say I am quite surprised at some of the remarks by some of the so called high class collectors here! Obviously there are some here who really do not like dealers!

My table was across from Alan's at the Pittsburg show and I consider Alan a good friend. Unfortunately I know of another mistake made by his employee but it was rectified. The problem was not a lack of competance from Alan's employee....from what I understand his employee was still learning his code. For those that think Alan doesn't pay his employee enough, perhaps you should consider this! Even if he was paying minimum wage....I figure his expense for having an employee there was at least a grand. Nice dinners,hotel,and plane tickets! I can also assure you that I'm certain Alan was paying well north of minimum wage! Perhaps his employee doesn't have the numismatic knowledge one would expect...but anyone I know with experience is not going to work for a dealer for less than North of 50K per year plus expenses.

I also agree with the poster above that made the statement about not doing business with dealers....if you don't like dealers...then don't do business with them! Is a dealer a broker????? Only when he sells coins on consignment. Boy wouldn't it be nice if a stock broker had to pay for your stock before he sells it! Most Dealers tie up alot of bucks in their inventory. Many probably do not realize just how much of a job it is tyraveling around doing shows. It is alot of work. Believe me I would make much more money doing quite a few other types of work than I do being a dealer. The key point is...I like being a dealer. Fortunately for me I don't have any customers with the attitude I see posted here. If the majority of collectors had that attitude I can assure you I would stop dealing coins!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure I follow what you mean about "any doubts about what happened", unless you mean he didn't really trade the coin.

Unfortunate, but I don't see where anything illegal happened or how the dealer can get his coin back. >>

Even if they find it, There is probably nothing they can do to get it back. It was not stolen (even though it could be considered a "steal"). Tax loss.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealer's fault, plain and simple.

That he wants to un-do the deal is understandable. That he is somehow entitled to it is absurd beyond belief. If the situation were reversed and the buyer had paid $5,700 for a coin that was actually worth only $175, would the dealer be scrambling to find the buyer and refund the difference?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    This one is easy....
    Dealer (or his representative) quoted a price on the coin to the proposed buyer. The quoted price was accepted by the proposed buyer. The buyer then paid the accepted price for the coin.

offer + acceptance = contract The contract was fulfilled by the acceptance of the payment. Done deal.

Bailiff, what's next on the docket?
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not sure I follow what you mean about "any doubts about what happened", unless you mean he didn't really trade the coin.

Unfortunate, but I don't see where anything illegal happened or how the dealer can get his coin back. >>

Even if they find it, There is probably nothing they can do to get it back. It was not stolen (even though it could be considered a "steal"). Tax loss. >>

Not necessarily. I took a law class once and I distinctly remember that if a mistake in a transaction is made by BOTH parties, it can be reversed. But not a mistake by one. In other words, if I rip you off badly buying your goods and I knew I was screwing you, then under the law, that's acceptable because the seller should beware. If I buy something from you and you rip me off, you can reasonably argue that caveat emptor applies. But if we both make a mistake, the seller could be reversed. I think a famous example of this is when someone sold a painting and it had an original copy of the declaration of independence hidden in it. Neither party knew it was there, so it was reversed. If the buyer was smart...a smart scumbag...he'd say..."heck yeah...I knew I was getting a great deal"....instead of..."I traded it for this dime because I didn't know it was valuable."

Any of your real life legal eagles want to expound?

Steve
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this dealer has seller's remorse.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file