Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ron Santo in the HOF

Heard he got voted in by the Veterans Committee. Does feel a little too late though.
From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
~WalterSobchak

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    good news to anyone who loves the Cubs no matter what, because we know he did.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Finally!

A pity he isn't around to accept.

Robert

Congratulations!
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Cool. Very worthy.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I just picked up his PSA 7 RC before it goes crazy in price!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    Sad in a way but congrats!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭
    I never saw the man play and while I know he was a good Cub and probably a really nice guy his stats certainly don't overwhelm me. I realize the Veterans committee has different standards and being a nice guy seems to be worth a lot but just seems like a marginal HOFer to me.
  • Options
    I think his stats would look a lot more impressive had he played longer. He retired at 34 so that hurt his all time totals. He was the best 3rd baseman in the NL for a good 6-8 years.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    As someone that also has Diabetes, it is a proud day to see someone that cared so much about spreading the word about this vicious disease get the election that is overdue. if only he were still alive to see it.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Argh!! I just sold his rookie card in a PSA 8 for a song! Can I get a do-over?? Seriously, congrats to a good guy!! While I agree, his stats weren't overwhelming, I believe he should be in.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    The best NL 3rd baseman of his generation + the "good guy" factor + there are only 11 or so major league 3rd basemen in the Hall + lookin' like slim pickins this year in the regular election = Santo is in.
    Capecards
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

I'm very happy that he was elected to the Hall ! At least his family will get to enjoy his much deserved spot in
    the Hall of Fame ! I'm sure Ron is smiling from Heaven !.......................Robbieimageimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nine All Star awards and basically played every game for 9 straight years, that's good stuff.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    All-around good guy and one of the best of the 60s. Just wish that Gil Hodges had been properly recognized with him.

Congrats to the Santo family.

Dave
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    And still no love for Lefty O'Doul...
  • Options
    Just wish that Gil Hodges had been properly recognized with him.
    ==> agreed....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see a Seattle native get in, not many Washington State HOFers. Sad he won't be there to make his speech, it would have been great I'm sure.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Ron was long overdue.I do not think it should have taken this long.Congrats Ronnie where ever you are.
    My only wish now is that Gil Hodges and Minnie Minoso and Buck O'Neil get their place in the Hall soon.
    Minnie is still with us but who knows for how long as he is 90 yrs old.Besides being a great player in an abreviated career due to race Minnie was a great ambassador for the game .
    People forget what a true leader Gil was.I think all the voters remember is his weak World Series performance in 1952.Gil was not political and a big talker however his presence on the field commanded huge respect.As a manager he took on bad teams in Washington and NewYork and did a good job in both instances and leading the Young Mets to a World series Championship.Gil left us at a young age of 48 who knows what else he could have accomplished had he lived.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Ron was long overdue.I do not think it should have taken this long.Congrats Ronnie where ever you are.
    My only wish now is that Gil Hodges and Minnie Minoso and Buck O'Neil get their place in the Hall soon.
    Minnie is still with us but who knows for how long as he is 90 yrs old.Besides being a great player in an abreviated career due to race Minnie was a great ambassador for the game .
    People forget what a true leader Gil was.I think all the voters remember is his weak World Series performance in 1952.Gil was not political and a big talker however his presence on the field commanded huge respect.As a manager he took on bad teams in Washington and NewYork and did a good job in both instances and leading the Young Mets to a World series Championship.Gil left us at a young age of 48 who knows what else he could have accomplished had he lived. >>

I'm not sure a lot of voters remember anything about the '52 series. Any voter under the age of 60 was barely alive then.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    This irks me. He didn't get in after being on the BBWAA ballot for 15 years. He didn't get in initially on the Veterans Committee ballot. When exactly do you draw the line and say enough?

Hall needs some good players to appear on the ballot. There have been far to many borderline players elected lately (Rice, Blyleven, Santo, Gordon, ect...) This year's BBWAA looks pretty depressing as well.
  • Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    I can't think of a better time to break years of radio silence than to break it with a "Hey Hey" for Ronnie's election to the HOF. He seems a "borderline" selection because he only played until he was 34. But take a look at Bill James or Total Baseball. Santo is one of the top rated 100 players of all time. And between 1964-1968 Santo was ranked among the top 5 players in the NL, and among the top 5-10 players in both leagues. And ranked higher than a peer group that includes Aaron, Mays, McCovey, Clemete, Mathews, Cepeda, Rose, F. Robinson, Stargell, Brock, not to mention Banks or Williams on his own team. And not to mention also ranked higher in some years than Koufax, Gibson, Marichal, Drysdale, Perry, Bunning, Carlton, Niekro. And that's just the NL. His 1966-1967 player ranking is equal or greater than 2 Triple Crown winners Robinson and Yastrzemski in those respective seasons. Unfortnately early retirement and the accompanying shorting of career stats caused his great career to be overlooked.

And I could not agree more that this voting committee to correct past errors should have corrected error 1b, along with 1a (Santo) and should have elected Gil Hodges also. I always thought he seemed to be the silent leader on those great Brooklyn teams. He, like Santo, was a great hitter, great RBI and great glove player. Hodges deserves election as much as Santo.

Okay, carry on now....

imageimage
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Great selection by the vets. Without a doubt, Santo suffered a great deal due to how underacheiving that Cubs team was. Williams, Santo, Jenkins, Hundley, Banks, Beckert, and a cast of other good parts, and NOTHING to show for it.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats to Mr. Santo on his election. It's a nice reward for the one year anniversary of his death. Too bad it was not a year earlier.

That being said, how the hell does this guy fall short once again??????
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Lifetime road splits:

126 HRs
    588 RBIs
    .257 BA
    .406 SLG
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This irks me. He didn't get in after being on the BBWAA ballot for 15 years. He didn't get in initially on the Veterans Committee ballot. When exactly do you draw the line and say enough?

Hall needs some good players to appear on the ballot. There have been far to many borderline players elected lately (Rice, Blyleven, Santo, Gordon, ect...) This year's BBWAA looks pretty depressing as well. >>

Blyleven was not borderline, nor is Raines who is still waiting. Rice, Dawson, and Sutter were iffy picks. It's just my opinion, but that's the only one that counts in my house.
  • Options

<< <i>Lifetime road splits:

126 HRs
    588 RBIs
    .257 BA
    .406 SLG >>

And your point is.........?
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    It's disturbing that Kaat was only 2 votes shy of being a HOF'er. Completely undeserving IMO.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭

<< <i>

126 HRs
    588 RBIs
    .257 BA
    .406 SLG >>

And your point is.........? >>

duh....... the point is he was an average player (at best) away from that bandbox called Wrigley Field!

Not deserving in the least bit (unless he was voted in for being a "broadcaster"), and Ron should have never be elected before Hodges, Mattingly, Garvey, Vernon, Oliva, Kluszewski, Munson, and about 30 others

but its a done deal and the Hall is even more water down now....
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

126 HRs
    588 RBIs
    .257 BA
    .406 SLG >>

duh....... the point is he was an average player (at best) away from that bandbox called Wrigley Field!

Not deserving in the least bit (unless he was voted in for being a "broadcaster"), and Ron should have never be elected before Hodges, Mattingly, Garvey, Vernon, Oliva, Kluszewski, Munson, and about 30 others

but its a done deal and the Hall is even more water down now.... >>

Those look a lot like Brooks Robinson's home splits eh? .272/.329/.410....which incidentally are better than his road splits.

hang up on yourself for that

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

126 HRs
    588 RBIs
    .257 BA
    .406 SLG >>

I agree
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

126 HRs
    588 RBIs
    .257 BA
    .406 SLG >>

I agree >>

excellent analysis
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter if he belongs or not. The hall of fame is irrelevent because Rabbit Maranville is in it.
    He must have got in because they liked his nickname.
    Not only should he be kicked out, he should be in the hall of bad baseball players.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    I actually love him getting in . Always liked him as a player and a person.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    The hall of modern day so-so did it again. This is the biggest injustice since Bobby Doerr.

I want Carney Lansford in the Hall, Everyone else is in.

Dave
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's disturbing that Kaat was only 2 votes shy of being a HOF'er. Completely undeserving IMO. >>

I agree. Good grief.

Hodges is kept out because he is (rightly) viewed as a guy who benefited from playing at Ebbets field. He had 50 fewer HR on the road as at home - and 19 more doubles on the road. The fact that he dropped off like a rock at age 34 when the team moved to LA doesn't help him either.

Tabe
  • Options
    It's about friggin time. I'm so happy for his family but sad that Ronnie was not here to accept this honor.
  • Options
    I'm shocked at how many people are against Santo being in. All of the borderline talk is crazy in my opinion. Either people aren't reading the arguments for Santo, or they only know how to find career HR & RBI totals.

Depending on the metric used Santo is either the 5th, 6th, or 7th best 3rd baseman of all time. No matter how exclusive you want the Hall of Fame to be, the top 7 players at each position should be there.
    "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Santo was a great guy but I don't think he's HOF worthy.
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Congrats Ronnie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

126 HRs
    588 RBIs
    .257 BA
    .406 SLG >>

I agree >>

excellent analysis >>

I agree with that too
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Good for the veteran's committee. Love it that Santo is in. This HOF admission will make legions of soulful baseball fans happy.

Tough cookies to all the mopes out there who derive pleasure from leaving people out of the HOF, despite the fact that it has no bearing whatsoever on your life. How will you ever function knowing that Blyleven and Rice and Santo are in?! Oh, the horror!!
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    An iffy Hall of Famer, but a great player nonetheless.

• Options

What's your case for the above players? IMHO, none of the ones you named deserve to be in the HOF. The line forms behind Raines.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Santo was a very good player but not a HOF'er in my opinion. This being said, I am happy for him and his family. RIP Mr. Santo.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked at how many people are against Santo being in. All of the borderline talk is crazy in my opinion. Either people aren't reading the arguments for Santo, or they only know how to find career HR & RBI totals.

Depending on the metric used Santo is either the 5th, 6th, or 7th best 3rd baseman of all time. No matter how exclusive you want the Hall of Fame to be, the top 7 players at each position should be there.

I never saw the man play so I don't know. However, I know his career stats (across the board) are not HOF worthy. The fact that he retired at 34 is irrelevant, to me, because if he had kept playing he could have had marginal years and then devalued his career; I mean he did bat all of .221 his last year. To me you are either a HOFer when you retire or you are not. The fact that this changes as the years go on is silly to me. You are IN or you are OUT and then it should stay like that. It should not matter if there are no strong candidates one year or not. If there are no good candidates then nobody should get in the HOF that year. There should be no veterans committee. In my opinion the HOF has let way too many people in and this is just one more example.

Ron had ZERO MVP's, 4 gold gloves, 9 all-stars... he sounds like Steve Garvey (but without an MVP) if Garvey had retired at 34 and not amassed another 500 hits!
  • Options
    Here's a link to an article Posnanski wrote about Santo a year ago.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/12/03/the-greatest-player-not-in-the-hall/?sct=mlb_t2_a4
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

126 HRs
    588 RBIs
    .257 BA
    .406 SLG >>

You are claiming the Hall is "watered down" but you would be fine with players like "Hodges, Mattingly, Garvey, Vernon, Oliva, Kluszewski, Munson, and about 30 others"? That makes no sense.
  • Options
    Hall of very good!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone really think George Kell was better than Ron Santo?dont get me wrong I loved George Kell however George was no better than Harvey Kuenn who will never get into the Hall not that he deserves to.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    No way Santo should be in the HOF. The Baseball HOF is a useless watered down HOF. Period.