Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you look closely...

this coin has worn-in graffiti all over the obverse.

1864-S 25c PCGS VG08

Comments

• Options
    I did, and it does. Did that get by the graders, or is it allowed on VG examples, when it's that faint?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    Good catch........That's why you can't buy a TPG coin sight unseen. I bet, even with the graffiti, it sells for VG8 prices
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. The graders must have missed that.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I see dead people - er I mean graffiti.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    You see more of this kind of stuff lately. The depression below the foot is more of an eye sore to me, kind of like the one on the bay right now.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it actually says "Ma" in the field to the right of the portrait. Hard to imagine how something like that would get past the graders.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Am I missing something? Mintage of 20k and only worth $600 in VG8?

Seems off kilter to me when you look at the other keys.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup. The graders must have missed that. >>

But they can see the differences between a $50 MS69 and a $5000 MS70 piece of generic silver? hmmmm!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoops!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market acceptable at that grade level? Maybe...but should be disclosed and Gennied.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice catch for sure
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>I think it actually says "Ma" in the field to the right of the portrait. >>

maybe it's HA???
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    Looks like they were net grading it. It has F-12 detail.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Market acceptable at that grade level? Maybe...but should be disclosed and Gennied. >>

I don't think graffiti is ever market acceptable. The graders just missed it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    My favorite graffit I've ever seen was on a PCGS CAC'd MS66 (I think, might have been 65) Half Dime at Summer Seminar in the grading class. If you looked at it in the right light, you could see "Carl" clearly engraved in the right field. LOL.

-Paul
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yup. The graders must have missed that. >>

But they can see the differences between a $50 MS69 and a $5000 MS70 piece of generic silver? hmmmm! >>

Do I sense some sarcasm here?image
    Also to OP, is this why you are called GoldenEyeNumismatics?
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>Market acceptable at that grade level? Maybe...but should be disclosed and Gennied. >>

There is no way that this coin should be "market acceptble". If this coin were graded by NGC you guys would be falling over yourselves saying how awful NGC is at grading coins.
    This coin should be reholdered as genuine, maybe the graders have been looking at to many 25th anniversary eagles and have forgotten how to grade classic coins?image
  • Options
    TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭

<< <i>My favorite graffit I've ever seen was on a PCGS CAC'd MS66 (I think, might have been 65) Half Dime at Summer Seminar in the grading class. If you looked at it in the right light, you could see "Carl" clearly engraved in the right field. LOL.

-Paul >>

It was a 65 OGH if I remember correctly lol

B

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file