Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

OT: The Honus Wagner of comic books

The most interesting part are the past sales of the comic and the fact it went AWOL for a little bit.

2.16 Million

Comments

• nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Wonder why they didn't crack it and resubmit for that .5 grade higher
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Because it had been already cracked, pressed and then reslabbed duh. image

This was Nic Cages stolen book by the way.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize there were only 100 known examples. That surprises me a little.

• << <i>I didn't realize there were only 100 known examples. That surprises me a little. >>

That's a crock.....When I was big time into Comics in Denver, I owned one copy and knew of and had handled at least 6-8 different other copies, one as high as about Fine condition. If there are that many in Denver you do the math across the country, I would bet there are Hundreds of copies floating around. The copy I had was in about VG condition, I bought from a guy who found it in a Wall of a house he was demoing, paid about $600 cash + $1000 in Trade in the early 80's. Part of collection stolen by Ex-Wife, recovered from her Dirtbag Boyfriend 3 years later just before he went to Prison for embezzling 1 million plus from the State of Colo. and spending it on Comics.
    Then sold it in the early 90's when I sold me entire collection, was part of a big lot sold for $40K, but it probably made up about $10K worth of that. "Kicks himself in A$$". Today I probably could get $75-$100K easy!!

Easy Come Easy Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    It's funny you should mention Denver... my Uncle is a comic book dealer, and he said there's a better copy owned by a guy in Baltimore. It was from the Mile High collection discovered in Denver in 1975. Rumor has it that this person's copy would grade about a 9.4, which would put its value at about 4 million.

I know nothing about comics, but I spoke to my Uncle about it and this is what he said.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just imagine what kind of money a guy has to have - in order to drop 2 mm on a comic?

It's the nicest I've ever seen - have to say.
    Mike

• << <i>It's funny you should mention Denver... my Uncle is a comic book dealer, and he said there's a better copy owned by a guy in Baltimore. It was from the Mile High collection discovered in Denver in 1975. Rumor has it that this person's copy would grade about a 9.4, which would put its value at about 4 million.

I know nothing about comics, but I spoke to my Uncle about it and this is what he said. >>

I was involved with the organizing and inventory of most of the Church Collection (Mile Hi), I personally Sold about 1000 of the Mile Hi Comics myself, mainly the leftovers from Chuck and Dennis. I was there in the Warehouse for all of the Comics arrival, did not get to the house, but saw all the comics except for a handfull that Chuck walked out with the first day that nobody got to see, would I imagine that IF there was a copy of Action #1 Chuck set it aside that day. I know from later interactions, he did that with the Superman #1, Detective #27 and several other ones, the Batman first #1-5 I later saw for Sale from him purported to be Mile Hi, but I would take that with a grain of Salt or to put it in more succinct terms, Call it BullPucky!!! I wouldn't believe that 1/10th of the Comics traded and sold nowdays as Mile High are actually from that find, I was part of it and can guarantee that and would testify in Court to some of the stuff I saw Chuck pull!!!

I could tell stories from now until the Cows came home about the Mile Hi Collection!!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!