Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1933 Goudey Babe Ruth- Upgrade?

I recently won a 1933 SGC 5.5 #181 Babe Ruth on ebay. The auction number is 110765212809. Does anyone here know how to post the picture of this card on this site? My question is is it an upgrade or at least a cross over candidate? I sent it in to PSA for a cross and they wouldn't cross it. I spent $84 dollars total and they didn't even give me the courtesy of saying it didn't cross. All they said was minimum grade, not did not make or did make minimum grade.
Just like their sister company PCGS, I find PSA to be lacking on the customer friendly department. If someone smarter than me can post the picture of this card or if the readers don't mind looking it up on ebay, I would appreciate your opinion. I just like the PSA holders better. I actually have the 144 Ruth in a PSA 6 that is not quite as nice as this card. I looked for months at cards not as good as this one in PSA holders, so I was disappointed it didn't at least cross.

I have a question- For my $84 did PSA at least verify it is real and not trimmed? I ask that because I am thinking of cracking it out and taking my chances with another grader (I am thinking a different person might grade cross attempts). I have been successful with coins by cracking out NGC coins and getting better grades in PCGS holders. My fear is they send it back as altered or trimmed.
Thanks for your opinions

Comments

• Options
    Link.

Sweet card. Yes, PSA is notorious for not crossing, which is why many crack out & submit. However as you point out, you could then get hit with Evidence of Trimming/Miin Size issues which would SUCK. Why not leave it in the SGC holder? It presents great and SGC is very respected, esp in pre-war cards such as yours. If you're determined to see it in a PSA holder, crack, sub, and pray. Good Luck!!
  • Options
    That is a beauty! That would have to be a PSA 6 for sure.

I have the yellow version of the 1933 Ruth Goudey card which PSA graded as a 6 and this card looks better to be honest. I think PSA took it easy on mine because it was a pre ww2 card and its a Babe Ruth.

You can see mine here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuXPKHa6DZk

Great investment either way.

Marc

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Nice R319!

Like others said.... If you need it to be in a PSA slab, You will probably need to crack it out if you want them to actually work for their $$, they basically ripped you off of that $84, easy $$ to them, and not the first time Ive heard this story....

card is not trimmed, the scans are tweeked a bit, contrast and/or saturation was tweeked making the card look brighter than it really is, but its also a big clear scan and easy to see the condition.

Its in the best holder its going to ever be in IMO, SGC is the strictest graders and know their cards.

resell value... PSA slab will be slightly more, because that card is most likely a 6 in a PSA holder, but they dont like to admit they grade less conservatively than SGC, which would happen if they actually crossed it into a 6...
  • Options
    You don't need to worry about whether the card is real. It's definitely real because SGC has authenticated it. However, for your $84 crossover fee, I'm not sure if PSA checks trim. You may want to call PSA customer service to confirm. Likely, they will say they do not check it. That card looks like it should crossover at the same grade, but hard to say. I cracked out of their slabs about 6 different 1933 Goudey's that were SGC 6's. A couple of them went to 6.5, a couple went to 6, and a couple of the other ones went to 5.5. The couple that went to 5.5 were HOFer's while the rest were commons.
  • Options

<< <i>Why not leave it in the SGC holder? It presents great and SGC is very respected, esp in pre-war cards such as yours. >>

Ya.

• Options
    Here are the actual cards I cracked out and the grades. One of the 4's went to a 4, five of the 6's went to 5.5, one of the 6's went to 6, and two of the 6's went to 6.5.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your information. My reason for sending it to PSA for a cross is I am trying to get all four 1933 Babe Ruth cards in a PSA 6. I think that this should be my second one, yet PSA wouldn't even cross it to a 5.5. I wonder how long they spent looking at it.
    Thanks again for the advice.
  • Options
    Marc- Looked at your utube, very nice yellow Ruth, looking for that card as well. Your PM is turned off, so I had to post this.