Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tips on photography equipment.

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
I was curious to see what kind of equipment is used to get such detailed images? Plus if anyone would post a picture of there setup that would be appreciated. Not trying to be a professional photographer, but would like to get the basic essentials.

Thanks, Daniel.
WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    DSLR
    Copy Stand
    Good Lighting
    Mark Goodman's book
    Photo-Editing software
    (insert more ideas here)
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    A macro lens (in addition to the post above)
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in addition

experience
    training - by a pro - something i am in dire need of with my d90/sigma dxg -

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

I like to keep things simple.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, spending a couple of grand on equipment isn't really the answer. Even if you buy all of the right equipment, your photos will suck if you don't know how to use that equipment properly. Likewise, you can get some pretty nice shots from a regular point and shoot w/ a macro feature on it if you know how to use it well. I take all of my images with a $250 or so point and shoot that is sitting on a $15 tripod. For the most part, I think I get pretty decent images for the money I spent on equipment. I do have problems getting nice sharp images of smaller coins like trimes or pennies, but for the larger stuff it's pretty easy.

Here's a couple I tooke recently:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Again, I don't think they are at the same level as the professionals, but they are definitely good enough for sharing pics on the forums and selling some stuff on eBay or the BST.
  • Options
    I'll add that a remote shutter release is nice to have as well... I picked up a generic from eBay (shipped from Hong Kong) for $8 or so (i use a Canon setup)... works like a charm and having your hands off the camera helps w/ longer exposures...

a dedicated Macro lens certainly recommended... i've shot w/ lenses (my 24-70 f2.8L comes to mind) where it's labeled "Macro" but you're not going to get tight enough for the coin shots you want... 100mm f2.8 Macro is a nice length for coins on a copy stand

-matt
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several of the folks here take darn good photos with some pretty basic gear. First, get a copy, 'cuz you just can't hand hold a camera and expect good clear shots. Get some decent lights, lot's of different opinions on that subject (I use CFL's with a 5500K warmth rating). The Macro lens is where I'd put my next money, most here use a 100mm - 150mm. The lens can set you back $400+. I use a Canon 40D with a Canon Macro EF 100MM lens.

Here's a sample.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ibuprofen can help also in the beginning.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding a spot your wife won't mess with is a MUST! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another recent shot

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Microscope with camera adapter is handy for varieties. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you smoke, don't do weed while shooting. Makes the colors much too vibrant!
    Sometimes they even swirl around the rim!!

bobimage

Oh, and I use a point and shoot camera with a stand and two lights:
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    First, buy Mark Goodmans book and read it cover to cover.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DSLR
    Copy Stand
    Good Lighting
    Mark Goodman's book
    Photo-Editing software
    (insert more ideas here) >>

and a lot of patience playing with the lighting

I'm still learning, but this is what I get with everything Stone mentioned and a Canon Rebel T3 and a Canon Macro EF 100 lense

• Options
    GREAT PICS, ONE DAY WHEN I GET THE ROOM FOR THE COPY STAND MAY BE I'LL TRY IT image
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options
    i'll share a few as well... i've enjoyed trying different blubs as well... most of these were w/ CFLs... Canon 60D and Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Macro lens

edited w/ Lightroom... I love LR for family photos, etc... but the necessary editing (cropping, etc...) for coin shots makes Photoshop a better choice (or any another true editing software)

imageimage

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copy stand is a must. DSLR is favored over a fixed-lens camera, but if you go fixed-lens get one with enough manual functions for things like white balance control.

I use an enlarging lens ($50) mounted on a bellows ($50) mounted on a copy stand ($75) with a DSLR ($$$) on top, lighted by LED gooseneck lamps ($20). Here's a representative result:

And here is my setup:

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Russ has got it covered.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheap:

Canon A800 -- $80
    WalMart tripod -- $15
    2 gooseneck lamps -- $20

Expensive:

Any number of DSLRs with any number of macro lenses from 100mm to 200mm in focal length, copy stand, 2 lights. Probably as little as $700 for this setup, and the sky's the limit.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Russ has got it covered.image >>

Doggies...the true yardstick. Love 'em.
    Lance.

• Options
    Tripod or copy stand is a must.

A remote shutter release is fine but a camera with a timer option works just as well and is cheaper. Click, wait a few seconds, then the camera is triggered. image

Lights must be consistent but can be very cheap. White balance on cameras or photo shop correct the color very well.

Mark's book helped me for sure.

I did OK but got stuck until I upgraded to an entry level SLR camera.

The macro lens would help me for closeups but doesn't seem to help when doing full slab shots. That bellows setup above looks cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file